Newt Gingrich with second wife Marianne Ginther

Rush Limbaugh attacked ABC News’ decision to air an interview with Newt Gingrich’s second wife, Marianne, tonight in advance of the South Carolina presidential primary.

Limbaugh was extremely skeptical of reports that ABC News was debating the ethical implications of airing the interview before the South Carolina primary. The radio host charged, “If there was any debate at ABC, it was over when would be the best time to do it so as to cause the most harm.” He alleged that the network was trying to “clear” the GOP field, and never dug up dirt on Democratic candidates.

Limbaugh also drew parallels between Gingrich and Bill Clinton over their affairs. He said that Gingrich “wanted an open marriage just like Bill and Hillary and in fact, Newt actually had the politeness to ask permission for it. You think Bill ever did that?” He speculated that the charges against Gingrich, which he dismissed as unimportant, might even prompt Democrats to vote for him.

Some quotes from Limbaugh’s show via Think Progress:

“I don’t understand why the media’s pretending to be so upset” about Gingrich’s behavior with his ex, Marianne. Limbaugh went on to read a “great note” from a “good friend of mine,” which posits that Newt and not Marianne — whom Gingirch left shortly after she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis — is the real “victim” here….

LIMBAUGH: I got a great note from a friend of mine. “So Newt wanted an open marriage. BFD. At least he asked his wife for permission instead of cheating on her. That’s a mark of character, in my book. Newt’s a victim. We all are. Ours is the horniest generation.” […] That’s from a good friend of mine, “Newt’s slogan ought to, ‘Hell, yes, I wanted it.’” (laughing) I’m sharing with you how some people are reacting to this.

Limbaugh didn’t seem concerned about the fact that Gingrich had already been carrying on his affair with Callista for years before he supposedly “asked permission.”

So this is the state of Republican morality today. Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich, married for the third time after cheating on his first two wives is defended by drug addict Rush Limbaugh, who is now married to his fourth wife. But somehow Bill Clinton is still the real bad guy.

Here’s ABC’s preview of the interview with Marianne…

and a radio interview with Brian Ross about the interview

Advertisements

20 Comments on “Rush Limbaugh: Newt Gingrich asking his wife for permission to cheat is “a mark of character.””

1. Minkoff Minx says:

You’ve got to be joking? This is a fucking Onion skit right?

Nope. I suppose Rick Santorum probably wouldn’t approve of Gingrich’s behavior, but who knows?

Brian Ross talked about his interview with Marianne Gingrich on The View:

• Minkoff Minx says:

I am really looking forward to this interview tonight.

It doesn’t sound like there’s that much there. Brian Ross says she mostly defended Newt. So I’m not sure what she thinks will sink his campaign–obviously everyone already knows about the cheating.

I hope this isn’t a joke, but it’s really funny, joke or not.

Stephen Colbert To Hold Rally With Herman Cain In South Carolina On Friday

FOR IMMEDIATE catch & RELEASE

STEPHEN COLBERT ASKS SOUTH CAROLINA TO

“ROCK ME LIKE A HERMAN CAIN!”

Attention world, particularly the South Carolina part:

NEW YORK CAROLINA — For a week now, Stephen Colbert has been calling on South Carolinians who share his values to vote for Herman Cain during this Saturday’s historic GOP primary. Actually, he hasn’t called on all South Carolinians yet; he’s only up to “Brabham” in the Charleston phonebook.

Jr. Exploratory Committee Chairman Stephen T. Colbert said of Cain: “Herman is the only former candidate who truly shares my values. It’s like our values were separated at birth. And our ethics are at least first cousins.”

In support of their non-candidacies, this Friday, January 20th at 1:00 P.M. at the Cistern in front of historic Randolph Hall at the College of Charleston, Colbert and Cain will co-hold “THE ROCK ME LIKE A HERMAN CAIN: SOUTH CAIN-OLINA PRIMARY RALLY.” The area will open to guests starting at noon.

Together, these two unique voices will declare that they are the same man. Indeed, if you close your eyes and don’t listen, they are hard to tell apart.

4. ralphb says:

Limbaugh is pure scum. Why people listen to him is beyond comprehension. He’s not funny!

5. northwestrain says:

GOP the party that keeps giving.

6. peggysue22 says:

Hummmm. And how does Limbaugh square Uncle Newt’s behavior with the Family Values crowd??? Anyone?

And Newt’s a victim? Oh pul-e-e-se. This is beyond ridiculous. Makes the whole crowd look ridiculous. And people who buy into this??

I won’t even go there.

This is getting so wearisome. All they’re doing is making POTUS look good.

• ralphb says:

I suppose it would surprise no one to learn that Princess Dumb Ass of the North Woods agrees with Limbaugh. Sigh,

• Fannie says:

They both sprouted up from Sleazeville, USA. and it is where they both will return.
      Newt’s last wish, the choice he wanted, was for his wife to allow him to have an open marriage. And what pisses him off to this very day, she that she wouldn’t grant him his wish.
      At the end of their life together, it wasn’t we have to give up love to have a good life, it was
      his lifestyle, not hers that he was more concerned about.

I don’t know, they say time marches on, and will heal a broken heart. Maybe the only thing that finally went away were her tears…………….and the words that say I love you.

7. Aga says:

In Europe we have an impression that all Americans do is fuck around until they are 40 and later convert into moral and conservative. How very convenient. I will never ever by no force on the Earth be forced to live in the US and no “economy”, “jobs”, or “good career opportunities” would ever compromise my soul. I want my children to be raised in a healthy social environment that is not full of such double faced attitudes. Sex in the City everywhere, OMFG!

Thank you for expressing your opinion. In the future, please watch your language though. Fortunately for you, I haven’t heard of anyone clamoring for you to move here. Best wishes.

Some thing tells me this person has only learned about us via bad TV programs.

• Aga says:

🙂 thank you, indeed I should watch my manners much more. I admit it is rather difficult to get a good picture of what is America from bad tv programmes, but someone produces them and they get to the world. Frankly I was a victim of such an opinion myself when I was in India – white and from the West was enough to think I would love to be available for casual encounters. But still mr Gringrich is far from being conservative unless believing in free market had already make him one.

And during his campaign he had very conveniently started appealing to conservative morals of his to-be voters. Now he is fidel and believes in God. Although I am nobody’s judge and maybe this conversion is real but it seems just a little bit too convenient 🙂

• Oh noes, sex! urban decay! Horrors!