Pat Robertson Calls SNL Sketch “Anti-Christian Bigotry”

Yesterday Tom Brady and the New England Patriots crushed Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos 41-23 at Mile High Stadium. Denver had won its six previous games. Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow wears his “Christian” faith on his sleeve. In fact he appeared in an anti-abortion ad for Focus on the Family in the 2010 Superbowl.

In a piece in Esquire, Tom Junod calls Tebow a “religious figure” who seems to be winning games because of his faith rather than his athletic skills.

Tim Tebow does not — and, for now, cannot — complete 60 percent of his passes. He’s strong, so he can shot-put and corkscrew the ball all over the field, but he often looks like he’s throwing the ball away when he’s not, and he avoids interceptions by coming nowhere near his intended receiver. It would be tempting to say that none of this matters to the legions he has inspired, but of course it’s all that matters: Because Tim Tebow is a religious figure rather than an athletic one, the limitations of his talent wind up testifying to the potency of his faith. The fact that he’ll be almost comically inept for three quarters and then catch an updraft of mastery in the fourth serves to demonstrate not that he’s a winner but that Jesus is — and, above all, that Christianity works.

So why did the Broncos lose yesterday? The most recent SNL presented a skit in which Jesus himself provided the answer.

See? Christianity works! Devilish Brady and Belichick won because Jesus was otherwise occupied. But “The Rev.” Pat Robertson was outraged by the “anti-Christian bigotry” demonstrated by the SNL skit.

On the latest episode of The 700 Club, the televangelist thought the segment was brought on by “an anti-Christian bigotry that’s disgusting.”

“If this had been a Muslim country and they had done that, and had Muhammad doing that stuff, you would have found bombs being thrown off, and bodies on the street,” he said. “We need more religious faith in our society, we’re losing our moral compass in our nation.”

Robertson went on to praise Tebow for his faith.

“I think he is a wonderful human being,” he said. “And this man has been placed in a unique position and I applaud him, God bless him.”

11 Comments on “Pat Robertson Calls SNL Sketch “Anti-Christian Bigotry””

I can’t believe that so many people send this man money to spew such hatred and nonsense. Some one needs to put an end to his television reign of hate.

• HT says:

Pat Robertson is over 80 years old and has been living off the largese of his peddled hate for most of his life. Personally I think he’s going into dementia because he tends to forget there are people other than his type of Xian in the world. Unfortunately, he does have a following and they do contribute big bucks to this man. My aunt contributed generously until she passed aged 95 – a smart woman but deluded by this man and his organization – however it was money she worked hard to make, and it was hers to spend whichever way that pleased her. His organization continued sending notices over two years after they had been notifed multiple times that she had died. Not sure who they thought would take up the torch, but it was totally crass money grubbing. I detest tel-evangelists with a passion.

I wonder if the people who give him money know he invests in blood diamonds and vicious dictators?

• northwestrain says:

BB — thanks — I was just wondering the same thing. Weren’t his “missionary” planes used to bring out diamonds?

Probably. He’s a corrupt, slimy old bastard. I can’t believe anyone would give him money or watch his TV show.

• HT says:

BB, I doubt that any of them investigate, they are just looking for something – I doubt if they could even articulate what exactly they are looking for. My aunt wasn’t a rich person, but she was well off from her own efforts mind you. She played the stock market – penny stocks. She could quote daily ratings. She got to a certain age – her husband and brother had died (her father died at Paschendale), and she just immersed herself in Robertson and his ilk. Something about the afterlife and meeting again? Don’t know. My mother (her sister) got more religious as she got older too. Drove me nuts – two of them giving me lectures – and I was a middle aged woman for goodness sake and an atheist to boot. These guys prey on the vulnerable, lonely, sad people to enrich and empower themselves. They are the modern day equivalent to Vampires.

My mother-in-law used to watch Robert Schuller’s Chrytal Cathedral and send him money. Joseph Cannon wrote something about him recently. He might not have been quite as bad as Robertson and Falwell, but still creepy.

2. mjames says:

Focus on the Family is one of the vilest religious organizations ever. And that’s saying a lot. They’re behind the infamous Amendment Two in Colorado, a state constitutional amendment, which stated that gays were not entitled to special rights and which was eventually found unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court (that bunch of heathens). I have never encountered such a non-Christian entity in my entire life. I lived in Colorado Springs for seven years and left when I couldn’t take the prejudice against anyone who didn’t spout the dogma like Tebow.

I might actually root for Tebow as an utter underdog if he weren’t so goddam unbearable about his “faith.” I guess he must have sinned somehow, so that Jesus had to punish him yesterday. What an effing joke. Like some all-powerful deity gives a flying f**k about a football game and some “virgin” quarterback. Also, his mother never provided any proof whatsoever to support her absurd charges that she was advised to “abort” our new savior.

Give me a break.

• HT says:

MJ, so true, not one of these people are ever questioned on the veracity of their claims to “grace”. And they are so in your face, I’m right and you need to come to my point of view to save your soul. Bollocks. These hucksters have been running around loose for so many years, it should have become boring, however they seem to capture new converts every year and right now is a particularly vulnerable time, what with people losing their job and their homes.
      Elmer Gantry would be a hit today – whoops that’s who Robertson and their ilk are.