Penguin sweaters

The horrible oil spill off Tauranga in New Zealand affected vast numbers of birds, in addition to all the other catastrophes. Some of those birds are little blue penguins. Some of the birds could be cleaned off in time and have been saved.

But it’s essential to prevent the birds from trying to preen their crude oil-covered feathers before the people can bathe them. And for that, there are penguin jumpers. (Or, in the US, “sweaters.”)

little blue penguins in knitted sweaters, looking alert and important. Original photographer unknown.

I’m not sure why two self-important birds make me feel happy, but they do.

Crossposted to Acid Test

19 Comments on “Penguin sweaters”

That’s so precious!!!

2. Thursday's Child says:

They’re so cute !!

3. Thursday's Child says:

I know why they make you happy – they look like they’re in very stern judgment of any company that would have an oil spill and they’re not taking any nonsense!

4. madamab says:

Hilarious!

More cute-i-tude…

• madamab says:

It’s my brother’s bunny. I just think he’s the cutest thing ever. 🙂

omigosh! That is cute! I had a friend who had a lop eared bunny in the french quarter. I was so surprised by what good pets they make!

• madamab says:

My brother and his fiancee are over the moon about that bunny! They put his picture on a stamp on their “Save the Date” postcard. 😆

I just love the oversized head and extra-short legs. Insanely cute!

I just spent the day with my daughter who is picking her ‘save the date’ refrigerator magnets. Needless to say, this save the date stuff is new to me. There appears to be endless marketing and expenses related to these shindigs.

• quixote says:

Cute, cute, cute! I used to have rabbits, and they’d eat things the exact same way. It was funniest when they ate dandelions, looking very busy and serious the whole way, even at the end with a great big yellow flower in the middle of their faces.

Those sweaters are adorable! I just wish an oil spill wasn’t behind the cuteness. But it’s good to know there is something that helps these penguins.

6. Peggy Sue says:

What a great picture! You can’t help but smile, even though the reason is less than stellar. Penguins in sweaters. What’s not to like?

• quixote says:

Yeah, the oil spill part is bad. As you say, I wish there was some other reason for the cuteness.

(And, on a totally different topic, the trick-or-treaters cleaned me out this year! I didn’t even have enough for the last set of little tykes. 😦 )