NYPD cracking heads and pepper spraying protesters under cover of darkness

It figures New York’s “finest” would wait until after dark to break out the mace and nightsticks. This video is from We Are Change. It’s pretty chaotic, but it shows police beating and pepper spraying #OccupyWallStreet protesters. These thugs don’t seem to understand that their Gestapo tactics are having the effect of bringing more media attention to a protest that was largely ignored for a couple of weeks.

Occupy Wall Street is providing updates as they come in. They also have several videos of tonight’s action. Latest updates:

Reports of arrests.

Updates as we get them.

UPDATE 9:35 – Reports of batons used. Mounted officers are present at Liberty Square. Barricades are set up on Liberty and Broadway.

UPDATE 9:48 – Reports of our medics treating several pepper sprayed protesters.

UPDATE 10:09 – At least twenty arrested.

This video is from Russia Today. Isn’t it strange how we have to go to the foreign press for info these days? Shades of the old Soviet Union and Pravda.

Here’s some video from today’s protests in Los Angeles, Boston, and Chicago:

19 Comments on “NYPD cracking heads and pepper spraying protesters under cover of darkness”

1. madamab says:

Oh wow, I was just coming here to post that video. It’s horrifying, just horrifying.

The local news is reporting it as “Wall Street Protesters Clash with police.”As thoughit’s a harmless little disagreement!

They are showing people with blood on their faces. Police shoving people to the ground. It is horrible.

Have you gone down there at all? I was thinking of going to the New Orleans March tomorrow.

On the CBS evening news, they had a report on the “techniques” the NYPD uses to keep protests from “getting out of hand.” Not sure what they mean by that.

I have a feeling we are going to see a lot more scary “techniques” being used in the weeks and months ahead. The police chief said, “we’ve come a long way since fire hoses and dogs.”

Good grief!

2. Minkoff Minx says:

Geez, just got online and saw this, damn…

yuppers, reminds me of growing up and watching the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War protests as a kid on TV NEWS. We’d watch Huntley Brinkley and Uncle Walter. I spent a lot of time with my mouth wide open back then. We’d watch the news and then my parents would talk about it over the dinner table. Just total flashback to my grade school days

• Minkoff Minx says:

My mouth is wide open now. Occupy Wall Street Arrests; Fox 5 Crew and Protesters Hit by Mace, Batons

While covering the Occupy Wall Street protests on Wednesday night, Fox 5 photographer Roy Isen was hit in the eyes by mace from a police officer and Fox 5 reporter Dick Brennan was hit by an officer’s baton.

The protests on Wall Street continued to grow all day. The rallies and their participants are showing no signs of slowing down.

In the evening, crowds surged past barriers and NYPD officers moved in to contain the protesters. By many accounts, mayhem broke out.

Officers, many wearing white shorts indicating supervisor rank, swatted protesters with batons and sprayed them with mace, video from the scene showed.

My internet is beyond slow so none of the videos are loading, so if this has been posted sorry.

3. Minkoff Minx says:

agreatbigcity A Great Big City

NYPD is looking like a mess. Blue shirts are confused/indifferent; white shirts are angry/reactionary; everything is treated as “terrorism”

Looks as if the NYPD actions are color coded…I’m seeing a lot of tweets with this sentiment.

4. Red Dragon says:

I am rounding up folks to add our voices to the mix here in Chicago. I believe that this is one of those moments that has the potential to change the history of our Nation. As long as we let the Goon Squad be the ones that are seen as the aggressors we can prevail. prevailed.

Good luck to you if you ladies decide to march!

I am marching at 6 PM tommorow. They have parade permits but life with the nopd is unpredictable. This time I an memorizing phone numbers.

• Woman Voter says:

I figured you would be part of the protests, you had been on my mind…hemmm where is Red… Stay warm, stay safe and PEACE. I am going to take some supplies to the local one after work.

My Marching has been via Twitter, with the young people reporting in and discussing the events, developments…they are nice kids.

5. Woman Voter says:

Noting that the OpBart and Occupy Wall Street Youth have their own medics, as they can’t afford health insurance, the nurses have offered to assist with First Aid. Unions are joining as they have not had success in being heard by Washington or President Obama.
    OccupyWallSt – NYPD part 1

6. foxyladi14 says:

please be careful.those going to the march. 🙂

7. Fannie says:

San Francisco was also handled under the cover of darkness last night……………….I understand they are having a 3 pm big meet up at library……………..