TSA Pat-down traumatizes and humiliates Elderly Woman

Just after the TSA announces that it will be more sensitive about its searches on very young children, we get yet another appalling story.  This time, TSA authorities asked an elderly women with terminal leukemia to remove her adult diaper so she could be searched.  How far will we let our government go just to give us a false sense of security?

A woman has filed a complaint with federal authorities over how her elderly mother was treated at Northwest Florida Regional Airport last weekend.

Jean Weber of Destin filed a complaint with the Department of Homeland Security after her 95-year-old mother was detained and extensively searched last Saturday while trying to board a plane to fly to Michigan to be with family members during the final stages of her battle with leukemia.

Her mother, who was in a wheelchair, was asked to remove an adult diaper in order to complete a pat-down search.

“It’s something I couldn’t imagine happening on American soil,” Weber said Friday. “Here is my mother, 95 years old, 105 pounds, barely able to stand, and then this.”

The ACLU has reported getting an increased number of complaints involving the TSA pat down procedures.

The American Civil Liberties Union received over 900 complaints in November 2010 alone from travelers subjected to the new screening procedures of the TSA.

Airports across the nation have put backscatter x-ray machines that can see beneath passengers’ clothing into use. If the ticket-holder refuses the scan due to health or privacy concerns, they’re subjected to an invasive physical pat down. The new body scanners and pat down procedure have received intense scrutiny amid reports of travelers feeling humiliated and traumatized.

My elderly father no longer travels by plane because of the last adventure he had with the TSA.  He’s a world war 2 veteran who sets off their alarms because of metal peg in one of his legs.  Is all this really necessary?

8 Comments on “TSA Pat-down traumatizes and humiliates Elderly Woman”

This is beyond belief. A 95 year old woman? My mother is 86, and she doesn’t wear diapers, but she has been patted down and grabbed. Disgusting!

2. Jadzia says:

What. The. F*ck. Ask me how excited I am to run the TSA gauntlet next week with 4 little kids in tow. Ugh.

You have to wonder what kind of background check they do on the TSA people and how much leeway they are given. Some of their procedures are sadistic and some of them are just plain custom made for sickos.

• janicen says:

Me too, BB. I refuse to fly. I used to fly all the time, but I cannot think of any other circumstance where I am asked to pay a lot of money to be treated badly. Between having to arrive two hours early and flight delays, I cannot justify the experience. On top of that, my husband travels quite a lot and says he doesn’t have to go through any of this nonsense at airports in other countries. As well, some of the major airports in this country don’t even bother with full body scanners. Everything that is happening is a combination of bulls#!t and bullying.

3. Branjor says:

Geez, that sucks. I guess the diaper needed to be changed as it was soiled, but still…it’s none of the TSA’s damn business!
    Strange they didn’t have a spare diaper to change her into…

4. Beata says:

I guess this is how some sickos get their “jollies” as my mother used to say. Probably had a good laugh out of it. Abusive and horrifying.

5. Minkoff Minx says:

Update on this…the TSA of course stands by the pat down:

TSA stands by officers after pat-down of elderly woman in Florida – CNN.com

The TSA released a statement Sunday defending its agents’ actions at the Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport.

“While every person and item must be screened before entering the secure boarding area, TSA works with passengers to resolve security alarms in a respectful and sensitive manner,” the federal agency said. “We have reviewed the circumstances involving this screening and determined that our officers acted professionally and according to proper procedure.”

And click on the link, they have video of the woman…how in the hell can the TSA justify this shit.