Don’t tell the truth if you want to keep your job in the Obama Administration

P.J. Crowley

PJ Crowley is gone as Hillary Clinton’s right hand man at the State Department simply because he spoke the truth to a small audience at MIT last week. From CNN (emphasis added):

P.J. Crowley abruptly resigned Sunday as State Department spokesman over controversial comments he made about the Bradley Manning case.

Sources close to the matter [said] the resignation, first reported by CNN, came under pressure from the White House, where officials were furious about his suggestion that the Obama administration is mistreating Manning, the Army private who is being held in solitary confinement in Quantico, Virginia, under suspicion that he leaked highly classified State Department cables to the website Wikileaks.

Speaking to a small group at MIT last week, Crowley was asked about allegations that Manning is being tortured and kicked up a firestorm by answering that what is being done to Manning by Defense Department officials “is ridiculous and counterproductive and stupid.”

Crowley did add that “nonetheless, Bradley Manning is in the right place” because of his alleged crimes, according to a blog post by BBC reporter Philippa Thomas, who was present at Crowley’s talk.

But that wasn’t good enough for our authoritarian President, who cannot abide criticism of any kind–at least from the liberal side of the aisle.

House Speaker John Boehner can question Obama’s American citizenship, and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell can say his main goal is to prevent Obama’s reelection, but let a State Department official question whether torturing whistleblower Bradley Manning is appropriate or smart policy, and he’s gone in the blink of an eye.

The writing was on the wall after President Obama’s cold and unfeeling remarks about Manning at his press conference on Friday.

“I’ve actually asked the Pentagon whether or not the procedures that have been taken in terms of his confinement are appropriate and are meeting our basic standards,” Obama said, suggesting some of those procedures were to protect Manning’s safety. “They have assured me that they are.”

Because the best way to find out if a crime is being committed is to ask the people who are perpetrating the crime, right?

Obama is the Commander and Chief of the armed forces. He could order the Defense Department to stop torturing Manning today. But at this point we’ve all learned not to expect any human decency or leadership of any kind from this man. He has now explicitly put his stamp of approval on the psychological torture of an American citizen, who has done nothing more than reveal war crimes committed by the U.S. military.

P.J. Crowley, who apparently does possess some human emotions and empathy, dared to speak his mind at a private meeting and when the word got out, Obama canned him.

According to Politico, Hillary Clinton wanted Crowley gone anyway and this just “controversy” speeded things up.

Crowley had been on the outs with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and rarely accompanied her on her travels abroad. Michael Hammer, President Barack Obama’s NSC spokesman, had been sent to State earlier this year, with the plan for him to succeed Crowley, sources said.

Is that the White House pushing the blame off on Hillary again or is it really true? I honestly don’t know, but I have some strong suspicions.

In a statement Sunday, Crowley notably made no apology for his remarks, but acknowledged that they made his continued service untenable.

“The unauthorized disclosure of classified information is a serious crime under U.S. law. My recent comments regarding the conditions of the pre-trial detention of Private First Class Bradley Manning were intended to highlight the broader, even strategic impact of discreet actions undertaken by national security agencies every day and their impact on our global standing and leadership. The exercise of power in today’s challenging times and relentless media environment must be prudent and consistent with our laws and values,” Crowley said.

“Given the impact of my remarks, for which I take full responsibility, I have submitted my resignation as Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs and Spokesman for the Department of State,” Crowley said.

Clinton said in a statement that she accepted Crowley’s resignation “with regret.” His service, she wrote, “is motivated by a deep devotion to public policy and public diplomacy, and I wish him the very best.”

Best wishes to Crowley. I hope he lands a job where he is allowed to speak the truth and doesn’t have to defend torture.

27 Comments on “Don’t tell the truth if you want to keep your job in the Obama Administration”

1. jillforhill says:

That is BS by Obama’s politico. Just go to Still4hill’s blog.

This garbage is getting really old very quickly. It is Hillary’s fault for Egypt,Mexico,Libya,woman’s rights,Africa,,Crowley’s firing and everything else that Obama will not take blame for.

Let’s go back to when Hillary testified in front of the senate about Libya. Hillary was asked about the no-fly zone and to my suprise actullay seemed to be for it but did not want the US to do it alone and wants everyone to help. Gates then went and testified and said those who keep talking about the no-fly zone do not know what it is and should bascially shut up. I knew he was not talking about Kerry or Mccain because they were in the military,he was talking about Hillary. Hillary and Gates are friends but they do not agree 100% on everything. Obama defends the DOD budget,but says nothing about the state budget. Since Egypt, Hillary and the state have been getting cheap shots from the whitehouse and the media non-stop. Hillary has been stepping away from the whitehouse since Egypt. Hillary does not mind getting the blame,because how would that be different from the last 20 years of her life. While Hillary is SOS she will not go after Obama in the media because if you think 2008 was bad just wait until that happens. Ben Smith is a jackass and knows nothing. He wrote about the book “Game Change” that the Clintons are old news,no one likes them, they have no friends, no one wants to hear of them and she is in the shadows(which stacy’s and still4hill’s blog proved to be untrue).

A lot of things can be said about Hillary and one of those things is loyalty to her people. Crowley is one of her people. He told everyone what she does and how she does it when no gave a damn. He protects her and defends her to those who attack her like Bill O’Reilly and she sent Crowley on his show because she trusted him. This was the whitehouse and DOD’s doing. As much as I love to believe Hillary has power in this whitehouse,she does not and will never have the power she or we want for her. She will do the best she can with what she has which is not much. It is one thing to fight the republicans who want to demolish her budget,but she should not have to fight and be called an enemy to the whitehouse becasue she has her own mind and knows how to use it.

When is Obama and the media take the blame for their bullshit instead of blaming Hillary for everything? I have never wanted Hillary to quit being SOS,but now I want her to quit and tell Obama and her replacement Kerry screw you and lets see how good of job you said you would do.

I have to agree with you. If I were Hillary, I would have resigned along with Crowley. I don’t know how she can stand working for Obama.

• jillforhill says:

I believe Hillary thinks if she keeps doing the whitehouse’s homework they will finally show concern and intrest in the things she believes to be important like woman’s rights and internet freedom. However, Obama will sacrifice Hillary and Bill when need be. I thought Hillary and Bill were blindsided by the backstabbers in 2008,but I thought they would have learned their lesson and tell those people screw you.

• Minkoff Minx says:

I would have resigned too, but I think Hillary is going to stay until Gaddafi is out. She is on her way over the ME conference now, isn’t she? She will finish this last task and then resign. (At least when I look into my tea leaves…)

Gaddafi is going to regain power. If they wait another day before doing something to support the rebels it is going to be all over.

• paper doll says:

…. If they wait another day before doing something to support the rebels it is going to be all over

Exactly…for some reason they want him to stay in power, that’s been plain for days …I guess he’ll give them all the oil
        or something, but the foot dragging has been remarkable and this White House is a world champion foot dragger…perhaps we can spread the rumor Gaddafi said Obama is not pretty…there would be a no fly zone in an hour

• purplefinn says:

Thanks for the background on Crowley’s positive relationship with Hillary. You said, “While Hillary is SOS she will not go after Obama in the media because…….” I think it would be inappropriate for any SOS to go after the president in the media.

But as for resigning, I’ll leave that up to Hillary. A friend of mine, who was no particular Hillary or Obama fan, told me that she thought Hillary was doing better in her job than Obama in his. Hillary can withstand the media duplicity and still be seen as the strong leader that she is.

• Peggy Sue says:

Ditto. I responded over at Joe Cannon’s site. He also had an essay declaring it’s time for Hillary to step away.

I’ve been a firm supporter of HRC at State. I think she’s done some very important work, not the least of which is putting the importance of women and girls at the forefront around the world.

But this Administration is toxic. Let them commit suicide on their own. And this Manning deal is the last straw.

Appropriate treatment???

Obama is either clueless or heartless. I vote for both. If this is how we treat one of our own [and I don’t care whether Manning is a hero or villian] then we can only imagine how ‘enemy combatants’ have and continue to be treated.

Sickening! And totally unAmerican. Or at least what we thought America was all about. You know–rule of law, humane attitides, respect for human dignity.

And we’re worried about an Islamic takeover? The enemy is within.

• jillforhill says:

When Crowley’s statements first came out,the media and Obama’s Whitehouse kept on repeating he is Hillary’s guy,state department,Hillary’s guy,state department. They thought this would be bad for Hillary and good for the whitehouse since he works in the state department. They were wrong. Most people agreed withe Crowley,so the media and Obama’s Whitehouse turned it into Obama was not pleased with him,it was Hillary who was angry and did not like him. Where were all these stories about Hillary and Crowley not getting along before this?

• Fannie says:

Hillary is out fighting for us, and for what works. Obama has no clue about what works, and all he wants to do is keep everything the same, he doesn’t fight for anyone but the rich. He’s interested in his image and the upcoming 2012 vote.

We know where he stands with his fellow democrat Hillary, we saw his campaign, and his staff, and the DNC, and who the hypocrites were and are.

2. Pilgrim says:

I have a feeling that Bill and Hillary will ultimately outsmart the despicable man in the white house.

• jillforhill says:

This week will be Obama is Mr.Peace and Hillary is Mrs.War according to Obama’s politico and now huffington post:

“As Mike Allen reported in last Friday’s Politico Playbook, however, the relationship between Crowley and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been strained:

Crowley, a respected NSC spokesman under President Clinton, has never clicked with Secretary Clinton: He doesn’t travel with the Secretary, which is crippling and unusual for someone in his post. His doom was sealed early this year when Mike Hammer, who had been the NSC spokesman, was reassigned to State. Technically, Hammer is Crowley’s deputy. But everyone knows he is his likely replacement.
      Clinton confirmed Sunday that Hammer will take over as acting spokesman for the time being.”

• Delphyne says:

Yes, Pilgrim, I think they will outsmart that idiot. However, it is maddening waiting for that to happen.

3. jillforhill says:

While some White House officials knew of Crowley’s comments, White House chief of staff Bill Daley learned of them when ABC News asked that question of the president. Daley told White House officials of Crowley, “he’s done.” Manning was arrested in May 2010 after telling a former hacker that he had given documents to WikiLeaks. Earlier this month the Army filed 22 new counts against him including aiding the enemy, theft of public property or records, computer fraud, transmitting information in violation of the Espionage Act.

4. jawbone says:

Reading about the WH machinations gave me chills. This time it was under Daley, but recall the WH instigated rush to fire Shirleyt Sherrod, at that time with Rahm as Chief of Staff.

It’s Obama at the top, he calls the shots. It’s his government and his messes.

5. Minkoff Minx says:

OT: remember the National Geographic “Finding Atlantis” starts at 9pm. See you all after the show.

6. Outis says:

The thing that struck me the most about Crowley’s comments were after he said he’d been in the air force for 26 years and the treatment of Manning is counterproductive and stupid, one of the reporters asked if he was on the record. He paused and thought for a moment and the said, “Sure.”

He fell on his sword and knew what he was getting into. To me, that smells a little bit like courage.

7. paper doll says:

For every reason we say Hillary should leave, that is exactly a reason why she stays.

Who else will hold any kind of line? The nation will go even faster into free-fall if she goes now.She’s thinking about her people and more, the nation.

Hillary does not have the power to do as she would…but she still has the power to make it not as bad as it would be…but for how long? How long before even her ability to make lemonade out of lemons is superseded? ? Lord knows

• jillforhill says:

I loved it when she took the SOS job. I hate the games Obama’s inner circle plays. When Obama is upset he does not take his anger out on Gates,Salazar,or republicans he takes it out on Hillary,democrats,and woman.

Politico and Ben Smith are garbage. Ben and Dick Morris started the Hillary in the shadows stuff. She was not in the shadow she broke her elbow and had pins put in her arm while on pain medication and still worked from home. They said PJ never traveled with Hillary,but he did. He did not go on every trip,but he went on the big ones. If they were not on good terms why would she let him come on the big trips.

The guy who is replacing Crowley came from the whitehouse.

I don’t know how longer she can keep taking these hits from her so-called friends and people who admire her from Obama’s inner circle.

• paper doll says:

The guy who is replacing Crowley came from the whitehouse.

Indeed….

For all we know Crowley said this as a beginning exist plan for Hillary…I can’t see him just saying this. He’s too close to Hill for it to be an accident…..it’s odd

8. Uppity Woman says:

I really like PJ. I could envision him working with Hillary. I’m seriously bummed.

I don’t like Barack Obama. I can’t seriously see anybody of any worth working with him. I am seriously bummed.