Sunday Festivities

Happy Halloween!!!

The Scarecrew for Meet the Press: John Brennan, Tim Kaine, Haley Barbour, Charlie Cook, Mark Halperin, Tom Brokaw, Michelle Norris, Chuck Todd

The ghouls and zombies on Candy Crowely’s State of the Union:
Michael Steele, Dick Durbin, Bob Kerry, Bill Bennet

The spooks This week with Christiane Amanpour.

Cokie Roberts, George Will, John Cornyn, Robert Menedez, Donna Brazile, Jonathan Karl, Dick Armey.

BOOOOOOO!!!!!

Advertisements

59 Comments on “Sunday Festivities”

1. Zaladonis says:

Good morning, Kat and everyone else.

Did you see Jon Stewart’s speech yesterday?

I agree with the first part but the second part sounded to me a bit like a political speech, missing the point of the problem in order to make the solution seem easier. But maybe that’s my own cynacism or maybe it’s regional, maybe in New York City and Connecticut where I spend most of my time people are more narcissistic and react more in their own self-interest than the rest of the country.

The first part’s about the media, and the two cents I’d add is I bet virtually every individual working in the media who heard or reads this thinks, “that’s so true but not about me.”

This was not a rally to ridicule people of faith or people of activism or to look down our noses at the heartland or passionate argument or to suggest that times are not difficult and that we have nothing to fear. They are and we do. But we live now in hard times, not end times. And we can have animus and not be enemies.

But unfortunately one of our main tools in delineating the two broke. The country’s 24 hour political pundit perpetual panic conflictinator did not cause our problems but its existence makes solving them that much harder. The press can hold its magnifying up to our problems bringing them into focus, illuminating issues heretofore unseen or they can use that magnifying glass to light ants on fire and then perhaps host a week of shows on the sudden, unexpected dangerous flaming ant epidemic.

If we amplify everything we hear nothing. There are terrorists and racists and Stalinists and theocrats but those are titles that must be earned. You must have the resume. Not being able to distinguish between real racists and Tea Partiers or real bigots and Juan Williams and Rick Sanchez is an insult, not only to those people but to the racists themselves who have put in the exhausting effort it takes to hate–just as the inability to distinguish terrorists from Muslims makes us less safe not more. The press is our immune system. If we overreact to everything we actually get sicker–and perhaps eczema.

The second part is about how we have our differences but ultimately we work together to solve our problems, and he implies we work together really well. I think that is not the case right now. This paragraph is the part that made me think Stewart is not functioning in the same world I am:

And sure, at some point there will be a selfish jerk who zips up the shoulder and cuts in at the last minute, but that individual is rare and he is scorned and not hired as an analyst.

When I was growing up those selfish jerks, cheaters, scammers, were rare and scorned, but today they’re the new normal and scorn is for those who supposedly don’t get that if you’re not a scammer you’re a sucker. And I mean that in the broadest possible way, not only jumping the line but hypocrisy like criticizing Republicans for being smarmy and then being smarmy against Republicans. Or that many of the people who’ve been bemoaning bullying in the past month are also people who bully.

I avoided watching the entire thing, actually. I’m tired of commercial grass roots uprisings; whatever their source.

• janicen says:

It wasn’t a grass roots uprising. It was supposed to be an anti-uprising for those of us who don’t get involved in uprisings and therefore are never heard from. Sure, there were people there who thought it was all about them and their issues, but for the most part, there were a ton of really funny signs from people who didn’t take the thing seriously at all.

• Zaladonis says:

That’s an interesting description. Did you go, were you there?

But bottom line, I agree with what I think Kat might be saying.

Or maybe it’s just me.

We have big problems today that need attention and a genuine uprising or movement of protests to make that happen could be effective. One thing is clear — these public servant clowns want very much to be re-elected. Years ago protests, uprisings, used to mean more than single events, and the shallowness of these today is frustrating for those of us from the 60s, 70s, 80s who fought consistent prolonged battles that over time achieved actual change, not just picture-taking and something the media can sell for a weekend. Funny signs are great, I love them, we all need a good chuckle, but is that all Colbert/Stewart and all those participants wanted to achieve with the event?

• janicen says:

Yes, I was there. There was a very impressive turnout. I’ve been to a few marches in DC, but I’ve really never seen so many people at one rally. We were really surprised at the different license plates in the parking lot of the Metro stop we used. Seriously, people came from all over the country to attend the rally. Obviously, I can’t speak for everyone who went, but I felt the entire purpose of the rally was to show that there are a whole lot of people who are not extremists on the right or the left who never get heard and never march. The mall in DC belongs to all of us and if some of us want to get together there for a rally, why should anyone have a problem with that? Sorry if funny signs weren’t enough for you, but for those of us who went, that was what it was all about. People who went there with an agenda looked out of place. It was a rally for people who would never rally with either Beck or Code Pink.

• Hey Zal. I sent you an e-mail yesterday. Just letting you know in case you don’t check the e-mail you use for wordpress very often.

Yup. The cynic in me says ratings ploy.

• janicen says:

I really don’t see the ratings ploy angle. I doubt that people who were not inclined to watch Stewart or Colbert will suddenly decide to start watching just because there was a rally. It was very interesting to see the cross section of people from college students to middle-agers (I fall into the latter category, of course) who wanted the chance to be counted as neither Tea Partiers nor radical lefties.

Well, just having something with a nonangry positive message is worth something. Sort’ve a rally for the silent majority?

if you get some time, please post some pictures and tell us more

• janicen says:

All the pictures are on my daughter’s camera, so I’ll get her to put some on my computer so I can post them. I can say that one of my favorite signs was carried by a lesbian couple. The sign said, “We’re here, we’re queer, we’re reasonable.”

That was pretty much the tone of things.

• Pips says:

Here’s a picture I found via Google after having seen the poster on tv. It’s a still of the morphing of Bush into Obama – and back.

• Sima says:

I agree with that he says, in your quotes here. I have to admit I didn’t see the speech, nor the rally, nor any of it. I have no TV. Yes, I’m one of those who gets all my news from the internet. I didn’t have time yesterday to live stream it, but I’d like to look at the highlights, so I’ll find a link to those soon.

I agree with Zal, there are more selfish jerks out there than many are willing to admit. It seems there’s a whole culture that caters to them.

2. Pips says:

Heheheh! Yeah, that really sounds scary! 😯

• Pips says:

This comment looks quite out of place … now. So if anyone wonders: I thought I was the first to comment this morning, and I ment it as a reply to Kat’s presentation of the scary Sunday Shows. Then Zaladonis beat me … with a mule’s hair, tsk, tsk.

3. Zaladonis says:

Heading out to one of our favorite guilty pleasures, a big flea market in what was once farm fields; my partner and I have gone every Sunday morning, weather permitting, for more than 10 years. This time of year with the fields surrounded by New England forest, the gorgeousness of autumn colors is almost too much wonderfulness to absorb. Almost. You just have to smile and let it be, and it comes in.

See y’all.

Ooh…. one of my favorite things too ! Do have fun and relax

• Sima says:

Drool, that sounds fun! I spent the morning milk handling. Milking, pulling frozen milk from the freezer for making cheese tomorrow, moving freshly frozen milk into the freezer… Whole house smells like baby sick now.

4. Pat Johnson says:

I am not looking forward to November 3rd. The pundits will be having a field day with their never ending analysis of what went wrong, whose at fault, and what’s in store for the next two years.

My own impression is that not much will change going forward and there will be even fewer voices speaking on behalf of those of us squashed in the middle with nowhere to go.

Those suffering the most can be assured there will be no actual relief coming forward over this choices and the Right will be dug in even more entrenched, just waiting for the opportunity to recover the Oval Office they honestly believe is theirs. If it means stalling for the next two years they are more than willing to deliver on that promise.

Obama is not a leader. That much is apparent as he handed over the responsibilities of governing to Pelosi and Reid who will surely be vanquished this time around thus opening wide the door for the likes of Boehner and McConnell to set forth an agenda that does not aid or assist those of us who look to government to make our lives a little bit more bearable.

The power is in the hands of the corporations and special interests who write the policies and sign the checks. I have no idea what it is going to take to restore the “power to the people” but I fear it will not return in my lifetime when corporations hold the same benefits as I do and the political arena is awash in money that comes with the odor of corruption that is no longer protected by law.

November 3rd is the tipping point. The day when the GOP goes to work, plotting the 2012 election with little regard to solving the ills that they reigned upon us less than 2 miserable years ago.

A never ending ping pong game with the rest of sitting in the bleachers as mere bystanders in the game of “power”. We don’t count. We don’t matter. We are on our own. Sad.

5. HT says:

Ah Pat’s here and all is right in my world.
    I need some suggestions – I have decided to spend the day comfortably robed in front of the DVD player watching horror movies. Would appreciate any suggestions – no gratuitious violence but psychological horror is fun. Any suggestions?

6. Pat Johnson says:

HT: Two that I can recommend: The Shining and The Haunting. Both made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up straight at attention.

7. mablue2 says:

HT,

I would highly highly reommend Pan’s Labyrinth

Feel free to watch it with high expectations. They WILL be surpassed.

8. HT says:

Thanks Grays, I had totally forgotten about the uninvited!
    Pat, I recall that the Shining (isn’t that the Jack Nicholson “Jonny’s home) had me hiding under the covers, and I haven’t watched since – but now, I’m older and wiser – er older. I’ve never seen the Haunting. This is great, thanks.

9. HT says:

Mablue thanks and you are right about Pan’s Layrinth – I have my very own copy – bought it the day it was released. Nice to know that others think it’s a masterpiece. (mind you, I also purchased Percy Jackson and the Olympians previously viewed yesterday, so take my comment with a pinch of salt – I loved Percy Jackson, okay? I also loved Dark Crystal, a movie that few people watched, and even less remember – okay I’m weird.

10. purplefinn says:

I had fun this Halloween dressing up (uncharacteristically) in a flowing top, skirt and plastic jewelry including clip on earrings. Since I have worn sweats almost exclusively for the last ten years, I was able to completely flummox two friends (one who only saw me at looking a skirt rack). Clothes make the woman too evidently.

11. newdealdem1 says:

All the films mentioned are terrific. Real psychological thrillers. I’ll never forget The Haunting especially the 1963 version with Julie Harris. Goosebumps. Without any violence (it’s why I cannot watch Horror flicks), it was the first film that I recall where the atmosphere created was so intense and creepy, it wasn’t what you saw that was terrifying (although a bit of that was there), it’s what wasn’t there or shown that terrified. A great film where the actors and the director made you use your imagination to great effect. The story/plot behind all of what went bumpy in the night was really creepy. If you haven’t read the book by Shirley Jackson upon which the film was based, I really recommend it. Great read as well.

Alfred Hitchcock films on Halloween can provide lots of tricks and treats as well.

Two of my favs are “Strangers on a Train” and “Rear Window”
    I just love this time of the year here on the East Coast as so beautifully described by Zaladonis.

Happy Halloween everyone!

• HT says:

The Julie Harris version of The Haunting is the ONLY version – she is magnificent.
      Have you watched Rope? Another HItchcock film that rarely gets any attention. James Stewart – in a rework of the Leopold Loeb situation (two young very bright chaps in the early part of last century who thought they could actually pull off the prefect murder and tried.

• newdealdem1 says:

Yeah, the version with Catherine Zeta Jones was unwatchable, although one of my favorite actresses (who should be in more films,etc.) is Lily Taylor who was in that film and was great but even she couldn’t save it. The Julie Harris original version is so good. Harris is such a great actress, she makes you feel every bit of fear her character felt. Incredible.

No, HT, I haven’t seen Rope. I’ve heard of it but haven’t seen it yet. It sounds like another super one from Hitchcock. Thanks for the recommend and for posting that very intriguing trailer of the film. I’m going to order it from Netflix. Thanks, again.

• HT says:

I’m sure you will enjoy it. Stewart is his usual, but Farley Granger is actually quite compelling and John Dall is perfect as the toady. I love it – have it in my collection, but most people have never heard of it.

• newdealdem1 says:

I love old films. Before Cable gave us a trillion channels with mostly nothing good to watch, I remember when we had 8 channels here in NY, two of them PBS (13 & 21 still around). On CBS, channel 2, when I was around 14, there used to be a late movie show which showed all the old black and white studio films: lot’s of Hitchcock, there was one bxw with Tallulah Bankhead called “Lifeboat” which was just terrific, Mildred Pierce, all those noir films with Stanwyck, the Nick and Nora films and the best political (and hilarious) films by Preston Sturges. I really fell in love with all of them. I’m not one of those people who think nothing good has come out of Hollywood since then because there have been a lot of good stuff produced in the last thirty years, but those old films are true historical gems. It’s so great to see people like Ted Turner making great efforts to restore and protect a part of our film history that has long gone.

• newdealdem1 says:

I pushed the send button by mistake. I just wanted to conclude with this. Yes, I remember Farley Granger from watching those old films although I’d never saw him in Rope. He was in several other films and I thought he was a really wonderful actor. He was way underrated and deserved much more recognition and adulation for his film work.

• HT says:

newdeal – don’t get me started on old films – it’s not that I don’t appreciate current films however Jennifer Anniston versus Josephine Hull (Arsenic and Old Lace) Rosalind Russell (anything she was in)Ida Lupino, Gloria Grahame, Lizbeth Scott, Francis Farmer geez too many to name – no contest. So many brilliant women and men (Bringing up Baby and of course the Thin Man Series, My Man Godfrey etc)

• Woman Voter says:

Yes, Have a Happy one.

12. HT says:

For all of you who are familiar with DYB and have cable (I don’t so am awaiting the internet version) his show, Psychic Kids is on tonight – . http://www.aetv.com/psychic-kids/episodes/index.jsp?episode=3678&deeplink=true&dlepisodeid=3678&dlseason=Season%203

Those ghost hunting shows and project runway are my destress TV adventures. I love too watch those three guys run around empty buildings shouting, DUDE something just touched me!!! Actually, I like to see the historical buildings, but the beepy little science projects chasing electronic ghost signatures is a hoot too!

• newdealdem1 says:

HT and Dak, I’ve not seen Psychic Kids. Will give it a try tonight.

LOL about the ghosthunting series comment. “Dude…..” too funny. I’ve seen a couple in that series and I was LOL more times than I was covering my eyes. LOL

13. AliceP. says:

I’ll second treehugger’s “Let The Right One In” all the others mentioned here are good too! Happy Halloween everyone!

14. newdealdem1 says:

LOL, it’s true. I feel the same, HT. Jennifer Aniston, gah! All the great films and actresses you mentioned. Just wonderful. The list of quality films is quite astounding compared to today and given the mass production technique like Henry Fords Model T’s. Perhaps it was the relative newness of the medium that inspired so many to greatness. Whatever the reason, we are surely it’s lucky benefactors. And, those films have staying power because they are just as popular with audiences today (and, in many cases even more so then when the films were first released). Of course, there were not a few rotten films made as well back then just like today. It will be interesting to see how many films made in the last 30 years will create as lasting an impact as many of the old studio films did.

Arsenic and Old Lace and Bringing Up Baby are two of the best screwball comedies ever produced. LOL.

• HT says:

newdeal – Josephine Hull in Harvey (one of my favorite movies of all time) – her performance was perfection.

15. AliceP. says:

“Harvey” and “Arsenic and Old Lace” simply wonderful!! HT, you’re causing me to drag out all my old neglected and great D.V.D’s this weekend!