Sunday Reads: Fight Back Dammit

Oh…this is beyond frustrating!

Cartoons via Cagle:

From instagram:

Yup.

That’s enough for me, I can feel the anxiety crawling up my neck. This is an open thread

21 Comments on “Sunday Reads: Fight Back Dammit”

1. Enheduanna says:

Great roundup as usual, JJ. I’d say Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there, but will settle for Best Wishes…sigh.

I can’t help but think that “leak” was a deliberate trial balloon to defuse the inevitable outrage and possibly glean ways to combat arguments against the decision before-hand. I have not seen this expressed anywhere, but the leak does serve a couple of purposes imo.

• I wouldn’t be surprised to find they wanted to put as much time as possible between the initial outrage over the decision and the midterms. Finding ways to combat arguments against the decision also makes sense.

2. Minkoff Minx says:

Oh yeah…Happy Mother’s Day…

You know what, there wasn’t any flood of Mother’s Day cartoons, if that proves anything.

And here is another statement:

3. Minkoff Minx says:

Please be sure to see the video up top…Wordpress is not letting me edit my post after embedding that video so I could not add a little blurb about checking it out. It is a great response…

This is just … argh!!!!!

• Ewwww. What an idiot.

“Birthing Person” is indeed the term used instead of “mother” by the liberal TRAs, and many other liberals who think they should respect their identities and be kind. Can’t say “mother” because it’s not inclusive. For example, remember the Dem Representative who talked about “black birthing bodies.”

8. Minkoff Minx says:

I have a question about what makes a woman a woman…

For instance… I had a total hysterectomy…so the only womanly sign I have to show physically is breast… Am I still considered a woman?

• quixote says:

Well, you know what us boring old biologists think. Being female is being the large gamete producer. Males produce small gametes. That’s it. That’s all. Everything else, biologists call secondary sexual characteristics and they vary all over the map. Which is how male seahorses can carry “pregnancies” and be in no way less male.

And that doesn’t even begin to have anything to do with all the completely nonbiological decorations humans like to hang on the basic categories.

Nor do developmental issues that can cause an inability to produce eggs or sperm change anything. Any more than the congenital loss of a leg changes the facts of human anatomy. Or any more than a subsequent amputation would.

But you know all that, Minx? So is your actual question something else?

• quixote says:

(And, yes, there are all sorts of variations on the egg – sperm theme. Sea lettuce makes indistinguishable gametes. Some fungi make dozens of different mating strains that combine with each other in many different patterns. In birds the homogametic sex is male, and it’s the females who are heterogametic XZ. Etc., etc. Vertebrate mammals have no such variations because their embryological development is too complicated to afford variations in the pathway.)

All you have to do to be a woman is to be born female and survive to adulthood. Woman: Adult Human Female.