Sunday Reads: Ida No!

Ain’t it the fucking truth…

Cartoons via AAEC:

As Seen on Fox News!
Kabul’s Reapers
Yes. No. Maybe
The graveyard of empires.
A Tucker Born Every Minute

And from Cagle:

That last cartoon is from the foreign press…in Spain.

On Ida:

Not that Ida, this one…

At 2:00 am CST Ida is a Cat 4.

I will post more updates on Ida in the comments. But…

The #WaffleHouseIndex is not looking good:

Now for a few other news items:

These next are from the Onion.

So true…

A bit of calm, in a story of cheese…

This is an open thread as always…

35 Comments on “Sunday Reads: Ida No!”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

More updates:

2. Minkoff Minx says:

I know I am posting a lot of things about Ida. But it is a huge storm that will cause so much human suffering.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Struck me as cold: “Prayers for my close friends” but not for the other friends? And none for anyone else in NOLA?

• quixote says:

I think you’re reading too much into it. She’s just saying she has close friends there. You can’t put everything in a tweet. And VAB is nothing if not compassionate.

• Enheduanna says:

Thanks for posting JJ – that doplar radar view is astounding. The lightening one is equally frightening. How the hospitals will cope in the aftermath is anyone’s guess.

I hope Dak keeps power, etc.

• Enheduanna says:

Oh shoot – posted this at the same time you’re reporting power is out there! I’m sure Dak is prepared but that’s always so miserable.

Hi! Lights been blinking! First big feedeebands gusting and I can hear the howl!! Probably will lose power in the next few hours. See you on the otherside!!

4. ANonOMouse says:

Thinking about Kat and all of you today. I’m not offering thoughts and prayers, I’m offering my heart. Can’t put into words how I feel. There’s so much hurt and pain words just can’t describe.

Peace and Love to you all
    Mouse

5. Minkoff Minx says:

Ida makes landfall :

Thanks for all the updates, JJ. I’m watching the weather channel and thinking of Dakinikat. Hoping for the safety of everyone in Ida’s path.

7. roofingbird says:

Showing up might make it easier for the FBI to find some Jan 6 faces in the crowd.

The power just went off. Everything ok here. It’s been mostly like a tropical storm. Gusty but not frighteningly so. Just a matter of getting it past and getting the winds to under 30.

JJ, I saw that about the Asian giant hornets. (shudder) It’s appalling what would happen if they got loose (or more of them did). Our state’s entomologists are doing a great job, plus the citizens who report sightings. Apparently they put tiny tracking devices on 3 live hornets they captured and so tracked them back to their nest.

WSDA netted, tagged with trackers and released three hornets between Aug. 11 and 17. One hornet slipped out of the tracking device, another hornet was never located again, and one eventually led the team to the nest, WSDA said in a statement.

The nest was located in the base of a dead alder tree in rural Whatcom County, about 2 miles (3 kilometers) from a nest the agency eradicated last October and about one-quarter mile from where a resident reported a live sighting of an Asian giant hornet on Aug. 11. The site is about one-quarter mile from the Canadian border.

11. djmm says:

Best wishes for all in the path of Ida!

OK, too much worrisome stuff. Here’s something heartwarming and … errr … wooly.