Wednesday Reads: I forgot.

I forgot today was Wednesday. Here’s some cartoons from Cagle.

Sorry about that…

8 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: I forgot.”

I was about to check in with you and see if you were getting sicker!!! I hope your headaches go away! xoxo

• quixote says:

I remember that study when it came out. It fit with everything else we already knew about the environment.

And then when a few years later Carter came up with ways to move to a different track, everybody was relieved and delighted to work on getting out of the mess you couldn’t hear yourself think for the squealing and shrieking which has lasted to this very day.

Carl Sagan was saying similar things

Always thought the unlimited growth idea was a characteristic of cancer, and not a philosophy to admire.

Herrington’s new analysis examines data across 10 key variables, namely population, fertility rates, mortality rates, industrial output, food production, services, non-renewable resources, persistent pollution, human welfare, and ecological footprint.
        ….
        Study author Gaya Herrington told Motherboard that in the MIT World3 models, collapse “does not mean that humanity will cease to exist,” but rather that “economic and industrial growth will stop, and then decline, which will hurt food production and standards of living… In terms of timing, the BAU2 scenario shows a steep decline to set in around 2040.”

The graph shows population growth stopping after ~2040 and then declining. That seems unlikely. Also, the “10 key variables” do not include renewable resources. Also, is economic, industrial, and standards of living decline necessarily a bad thing? It depends on the degree. Population decline is a good thing IMO as the Earth is overpopulated with H. sapiens now. The food production, pollution, and environmental degradation factors are most worrisome.

3. MsMass says:

Thanks for the cartoons, a highlight of my day.
    About that collapse prediction- I spent the 80’s and 90’s expecting a nuclear inferno. When it didn’t happen, I decided to stuff it in the background and hope with more conviction about the future. I’m still holding onto that hope even if we are a damn foolish species.