Wednesday Reads: Free Range

Good morning, enjoying farm fresh eggs today? That cartoon is cute…not sure what statement it is making, since it is from the foreign press.

Via Cagle:

I’ve got a killer migraine…so it’s just cartoons today.

Have a pleasant afternoon.

But…be sure to read through this thread:

19 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Free Range”

1. Enheduanna says:

JJ I hope you feel better soon! Thank you for the toons – I always love them. It’s nice to know I’m not the only pet owner who dreads fireworks. I get it – they’re fun but I’ve actually lost a pet because of them. They should absolutely not be allowed in residential areas IMO. It’s depressing how popular they are here in Hooterville.

Same here with everything you said! They’re not allowed in Orleans parish but the morons around here set them off anyway. I have to stay in the pillow fort with a shivering Temple and both cats. I hate it too. The stupid bar down the street ignores all the laws. Of course, they moved here a few years ago from New York so wouldn’t expect much else. They let people set them off and encourage it by advertising the ordea. too. Last year, they were really loud, the casings fell on my roof, and I called the police on them. Not sure it did any good because they’ll do it again and again and again.

• quixote says:

I loooove fireworks. Total pyromaniac. But setting off silly (expensive!) squibs that do nothing but bother the whole neighborhood? No. I’d rather go to a spectacular municipal fireworks event. The private stuff is just weeks of noise and pollution for nothing.

I’m with you — the professional pyrotechnics are OK, but the yahoos setting off grenades and showering the neighborhood streets, roofs and yards with fireworks parts are dangerous jerks. There’s always someone who loses a hand but not enough of them blow themselves up.

Allegedly fireworks are banned but there’s no enforcement. I’m torn between getting out of town away from the small war on July 4, or staying to comfort the cats and be here if the roof catches fire.

Explosions and other loud noises are unhealthy — blood pressure shoots up and it causes psychological distress. Veterans especially have a bad time and PTSD is triggered.

And this is DeSantis who’s a known Trump toadie.

5. MsMass says:

Sad about Rumsfeld? Not me, he was a real shit. Hope he likes burning in hell.

Bill Cosby released on a technicality.

7. M. Bouffant says:

I think the top ‘toon is telling us that “free-range” chicken may not be stress-free.

Seems like it, but as a kid in a rural are when we had chickens — only about 10 or so — they were in a big fenced enclosure about 300 yds x 500 yds and we never lost one to a hawk. Raccoons were an occasional problem but then my parents weren’t conscientious about fence upkeep. Farmers should be able to keep the chickens protected by maintaining the fence and using overhead chickenwire.

Temps in the 70s today, and partly cloudy. Oh, loveliness! Unfortunately 80s tomorrow and the next week.

Tomorrow should be interesting.

N.Y. grand jury said to return criminal indictments against Trump’s company and its CFO, the first from prosecutors probing the former president’s business dealings … according to two people familiar with the indictments.

The indictments against the Trump Organization and its CFO, Allen Weisselberg, will remain sealed until Thursday afternoon, leaving the specific charges against them unclear. Earlier Wednesday, people familiar with the case said the charges were related to allegations of unpaid taxes on benefits for Trump Organization executives.

Weisselberg is expected to surrender Thursday morning at the office of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. (D), two people familiar with the plan said. He is expected to be arraigned later in the day in front of a state court judge. The Trump Organization will also be arraigned, represented in court by one of its attorneys.