Sunday Reads: “Your life’s going down the toilet…”

Olympia Dukakis in Moonstruck

Such sadness to hear that Olympia Dukakis passed away yesterday at the age of 89.

Michael Dukakis was the first person I ever voted for as President..so Olympia’s campaigning for him was also something I distinctly remember from 1988.

And now some cartoons.

It’s been 10 years?

And with that, this is an open thread.

10 Comments on “Sunday Reads: “Your life’s going down the toilet…””

1. Minkoff Minx says:

I corrected the name Olympia, that is showing some of my brain funk, I was thinking Olympia but typed Olivia.

2. quixote says:

Great *everything* today. Your brain on funk is doing better than my brain on … whatever it’s on.

Love Olympia. Loved the dinosaur with the tiny hands. So true.

And the pie-faced whatnot in North Korea is obviously back to distracting NKers from his usual disastrous handling of everything. I gather covid there is making bodies pile up, plus famine.

What’s it going to take for us humans to figure out how to get rid of dictators? I mean, before they lay everything to waste?

I’m trying to figure out wtf happened to India.

• quixote says:

I’m getting the impression it’s the usual: bloviating dictator who just wants people to shut up about the plague already and concentrate on what’s important: adoring him and keeping him in power.

So he does idiotic stuff like (very) badly implemented lockdowns, allowing vast religious festivals dear to his Base, holding elections now now now before people get on to how badly he’s doing. (That last hasn’t worked out too well for him, we heard today.)

Does that square with your info? Or is there more to it?

I’m so sick of this shit …

• quixote says:

Cannibalism goes back a long way, too. Doesn’t make it a good idea, merely because meat is nutritious.

Inbreeding goes back a long way, and you wind up with royalty:

Charles II of Spain

Not a good idea either, even if practiced by affectionate royalty.

Child labor goes back forever. And I’m sure the parents loved their kids. Within the limits of their time.

Etc etc etc etc. These truly are the mole people.

OK, quote us chapter and verse where it says that in your bible. I don’t think Jesus the street preacher who told people to help the poor, feed the hungry, and take care of the sick would have agreed about that slavery bit, Ms. Huckabay. Hint: he also chased the rich moneylenders out of the Temple.

Really nice roundup of comics, JJ!