Wednesday Reads: Return of the Fly

“Help me….help me…”

View this post on Instagram

The fly strikes again

A post shared by Molly Jong-Fast (@mollyjongfast) on

Okay, so this isn’t a real act two of The Fly…but it was damn fun to think so.

Here in Georgia, voting in person takes determination…

View this post on Instagram

It’s a von Trapp! (credit: @randyrainbow)

A post shared by George Takei (@georgehtakei) on

This is an open thread, try to have a good Wednesday.

26 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Return of the Fly”

1. RonStill4Hills says:

I was watching a bit of Trump’s recent rally in Sanford. Watching all those people blowing their rancid funk on one another. Unmasked and unconcerned for what they are doing to the guy next to them. It is a metaphor for Trumpism in general. They should change their name to the “Fuck You Buddy” party. Their mindset is rude, crude, attitude toward everything and everyone. They inflict Trump on America as if he were a walking talking middle finger to everyone who is not them. He wrecks the economy, loses them their jobs and insurance, loses them their international allies, you name it, but he is an F-U-B to liberals, college grads, blacks, other minorities, LGBTs, uppity women, and on down the line.

They are willing to sink the shipand kill us all if they can go down hollering “FUCK YOU BUDDY!”

• Sweet Sue says:

Well said, Ron. I got depressed (what else is new?) looking at the big crowds at Trump’s wretched rallies, yesterday. It’s painful to realize how many bigots, haters, and just plain stupid people inhabit and-literally-infect our Country.

• MsMass says:

My new theory today is that the repugs are going with herd immunity. So that means infect as much as possible right from the start. Unfortunately that means killing off your own supporters and possibly passing it on to as many others as you can. The Uber rich will still be protected and the deaths unfortunate but the long game means repugs could eventually prevail. I think when Trump exposed those wealthy people in NJ fundraising, they weren’t too happy with him. I don’t think they care about poorer folks even if they are white.

• quixote says:

It’s been tried before. Some rich people sealed themselves and their select friends in their castles and partied while the people outside died.

Of course, they didn’t go so far as doing their own dishes or anything, so the scurvy scullions were still there and it was generally just a matter of days before the rich boneheads dropped like flies.

We know more about virology, so the process would take longer, but they’ll have the same problem. You want to be an apex predator, you need a pyramid underneath you to be at the apex of.

2. RonStill4Hills says:

BTW – My dad got his ballot in his nursing home, filled it out and put it in the mail immediately. He is in Ohio where it may actually matter.

3. quixote says:

Oh. My. God.

Under questioning by Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE), Amy Coney Barrett is unable to name the five freedoms protected by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. American Independent

• quixote says:

(Don’t get me wrong. I couldn’t either. Thought, speech, religion; I know those, but the other two I’d have to look up. Nobody, however, has nominated me for the Supreme Court because I’m so brilliant.)

• quixote says:

(thought, press, whatever…. Apparently I only know two of them. I’ve since looked them up: right to freedom of speech, religion, press, right to petition for redress of grievances, and right to freedom of movement and assembly. But, actually, about those grievances, what about Repubs keeping Lani Guinier off SCOTUS? Some of us go waaay back.)

Since she’s a Constitutional Originalist, she damn well ought to know what the Constitution says!

• Enheduanna says:

Oopsy! Ican’t watch this sham; just wondering if Sasse meant to do that.

Cory Booker’s turn to question Barrett. He’s speaking about racial discrimination and she’s looking at him dumbfoundedly as if she thinks it doesn’t exist. Maybe I’m reading too much into her body language.

• Enheduanna says:

She may be reacting to further questioning about racial issues since yesterday didn’t go too well. She couldn’t condemn using the n-word and apparently one of her kids was sort of traumatized by the whole line of questioning. I just heard a smatter of it in the car on NPR, so not sure of the whole story.

She’s a partisan hack who thinks climate change is debatable and her kids come down the line in her priorities, after Gawd, her husband, her career and her partisan hack desire to set us back a couple hundred years.

WTH? Also, her kids shouldn’t be involved in her hearings.

• quixote says:

She adopted two black kids from Haiti, one right after the earthquake, when Christianists were hawking kids to fundies under what sure looked like dubious circumstances. Whether her two kids had dubious circumstances or not hasn’t been investigated. Anyway, point being, imagine being black and having to listen to your mother saying n*etc is A-OK. No different that being female and having your mother be a practicing Handmaid, but we’re a lot more used to that.)

Not even subtle about it.

Videos show closed-door sessions of leading conservative activists: ‘Be not afraid of the accusations that you’re a voter suppressor’

Hillary’s right, as always.