Wednesday Reads: To Brenda

Lady of Montserrat, artwork by Julio Roberto

Good morning.

I have one thing to share this early September day, it is a reminder of who we are losing during this pandemic.

As you may already know, the Covid-19 numbers continue to rise:

This thread:

I know that is a long one, (25 tweets) but take the time to go through it.

View this post on Instagram

I joke but testing is super easy. Go do it. • #covidtesting #covid19 #coronavirus #contacttracing #nasalswab #trumpvirus #gettested #tnycartoons #cartoon #cartoons #penandink #knight #jousting #renaissancefaire #illustration #dailydoodle #dailydrawing

A post shared by Benjamin Slyngstad (@slyngstad_cartoons) on

With that in mind, say a prayer or save a thought…to Brenda…such a loss for her family.

The pain for this family must be shattering…like so many other needless deaths shared by numerous people across our country.

It is a legacy that must not be forgotten, and it must be laid squarely at tRump’s feet. Things could have been different. They must be different.

24 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: To Brenda”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Sorry this is late, I accidentally set it for 7:30 PM instead of AM…

This is why we can’t have nice things:

“Herd immunity” Why am I thinking about lemmings? Anyway, trying for herd immunity is a sure way to kill off millions of people.

5. Beata says:

University classes have been in session here for a week. Already 30 fraternities and sororities are under quarantine. Parties have also been happening off campus for several weeks even though there is a city and university ban on gatherings of more than 15 people, as well as a universal mask order. Do most 18 to 21 year olds care about such rules? Of course not! Partying is part of the college experience! Who cares about the health of fellow students or faculty and staff or the greater community? The whole thing is a disaster. As soon as the students have been enrolled long enough for the university to keep most of their tuition and fees (in about another week), they will be sent home to take the rest of the semester online. In the meantime, further outbreaks will occur, both on and off campus. Yes, the university cares more about money than people! I am so not shocked.

Rant over.

Yup. Same all over. Not a good idea at all.

• Beata says:

At least there is no football. Yet. THE Ohio State University hopes to change that.

• quixote says:

I am the original Compleat Idiot. I’ve spent my whole life in universities and up until a couple of weeks ago I just could not figure out WHY they were insisting on creating petri dishes full of students who they would then send home to keep passing the virus around.

Finally, as I say, about two weeks ago I twigged. Tuition money! Of course!

I was literally unable to conceive of them killing their community for a few dollars. (Tuition is not where universities get most of their money.) And yet, here they are. With my past experience of uni administrators, why didn’t I know??

But surely they could collect tuition for distance-learning classes, so I don’t think that’s it.

Kids that age are immortal (so they think) plus peer pressure so they think covid-19 won’t happen to them.

• Beata says:

Luna, universities want to keep tuition and fees for the many students who would not enroll to begin with if they knew before classes started that they would be stuck at home distance learning. They want the “college experience”.

If the universities wait a certain number of weeks before sending students home, they don’t have to refund their money. It’s like students being able to withdraw before drop and add ends. They just drop out and get refunded. If you wait until after drop and add is over, you don’t get your tuition and fees refunded. So in effect, universities are waiting until after the drop and add period to cancel in-person classes, then no refunds.

• Beata says:

I think that was the most convoluted crap comment I have ever made on a blog. It must be because universities have such convoluted crap policies. Explaining them drives a person nuts.

I have obviously spent way too much time around academia and now need to go live in a Dakota sod hut surrounded by prairie dogs. They are so cute!

See ya later!

Come back, Beata!

I hadn’t thought about the students wanting to be *on* campus.

• quixote says:

What Beata said. Plus last semester already there was grumbling from the parents about paying tens of thousands of dollars for a high tech correspondence course. (They didn’t put it that way because of them aren’t old enough to know about correspondence courses, but that was the gist.) This way they can say the unis were *trying* to do the whole nine yards but, gee whiz, acts of God, circumstances beyond our control, etc, etc.

Hard to have a real party by Zoom!

6. Beata says:

We are that way about hoops. Nothing else matters. Because basketball.

Sports should not be part of an academic environment and shouldn’t be supported by colleges. Nothing wrong with students getting together for informal sports activity, but go do the feverish ball sports somewhere else.

7. Beata says:

Q, I have lived in university communities all my life, too. I knew what was going on. It’s all about the money. But you are obviously a less cynical soul than I am. Stay that way. You will be a lot happier.