Sunday Reads: The de Havilland Law

On July 26, we lost one of the last remaining connections to the “Golden” era of Hollywood.

Most of the tributes related to Olivia de Havilland obviously mention her role in GWTW, but she had a greater contribution to Hollywood in the form of the de Havilland Law. She sued Warner Brothers and won, allowing Olivia to become a free agent during a time when studios held actors to the contract system.

Read about it here:

If that link up top did not work, here is the TCM Remembers:

The Heiress is one of my favorite movies…you can catch it on TCM this August 23rd:

For a full schedule click this link here:

A different star every day, all month. August 1-31

#SummerUnderTheStars

What a woman…

This is an open thread.

10 Comments on “Sunday Reads: The de Havilland Law”

So many gorgeous photos. Errol Flynn was gorgeous too.

3. Beata says:

Thank you for the wonderful tribute, JJ.

“The Heiress” is one of my favorite movies too. I love the chilling line at the end of the movie when Catherine ( Olivia ) says: “Yes, I can be very cruel. I have been taught by masters.”

So true.

4. Enheduanna says:

Thank you for including the TCM tribute JJ. I finally gave up TCM because to get it I have to pay for Xfinity’s top tier cable lineup – the basterds. Just that one channel – they know there are legions of fans so they only offer it at a premium. I miss their tributes and Robert Osborne of course. Hope they’re all happy together over the rainbow.

Same here. I would have to pay quite a bit extra for the package that includes TCM, Fox movie channel and a bunch of sports channels. I’ve tried to find a way to get TCM for years, always unsuccessfully.

• Beata says:

I haven’t had cable TV for several years now. But I can get PBS with a cheap antenna. One channel and that’s fine with me. I do miss TCM though. Loved Robert Osborne. So classy and knowledgeable. No one can replace him in my opinion.

I have limited access to the internet. I can only stop by to say hello occasionally.

So, hello! I’m still alive! Hope you all are still alive too.

• quixote says:

Feeling ephemeral, but still here. Good to hear from you!

• Beata says:

Hi, Q! I understand that feeling.

When I was 18, I had a college boyfriend who used to go around saying very deep things like “Life is so transient”. He’s in his 60’s now and lives in Costa Rica. He seems to be doing well but really how long can that last? Another 30 years maybe?

• Beata says:

Just a note to say that not having cable TV or much internet access is a choice I made. Yes, it saves money but it is really about having a more quiet, simple life. I read, write, paint, garden and lots of other things. I don’t feel deprived.

Even so, having TCM would be nice!