Sunday: The day after…

View this post on Instagram

Visit link in bio for full story.

A post shared by The Onion (@theonion) on

View this post on Instagram

Photos by @jabinbotsford — President Trump, after boasting about enthusiasm and promising a full house, spoke in an arena in Tulsa on Saturday night with many seats unfilled amid the coronavirus pandemic. Most of his supporters in the 19,000-seat BOK Center were not wearing masks, hours after his campaign had announced that six members of the advance team staffing the event had tested positive for the virus. In a speech lasting nearly two hours — filled with grievances, falsehoods and misleading claims — Trump said that because more testing means higher numbers of known coronavirus cases, his direction was to curtail it. “So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down,’” he said. A White House official said later the president was “obviously kidding,” but he has previously expressed skepticism about testing, which public health experts say is required to contain the outbreak.

A post shared by Washington Post Photography (@washpostphoto) on

View this post on Instagram

love this song – goodnight hoes

A post shared by Latina Rebels (@latinarebels) on

Rest In Peace Sir Ian Holm…

View this post on Instagram

Ian Holm, the versatile actor who played everything from androids to hobbits via Harold Pinter and King Lear, has died in London aged 88. “It is with great sadness that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88,” his agents said. “He died peacefully in hospital, with his family and carer,” adding that his illness was Parkinson’s related. “Charming, kind and ferociously talented, we will miss him hugely.” Holm, who won a Bafta and was nominated for an Oscar for his role as maverick athletics coach Sam Mussabini in the 1981 film Chariots of Fire, may have looked destined for a career in colourful supporting roles on screen – especially after quitting the theatre in 1976 after a severe case of stage fright – but he found a new generation of admirers after being cast as Bilbo Baggins in the blockbusting Lord of the Rings trilogy. He is survived by his fourth wife, Sophie de Stempel, and five children from previous relationships, as well as his third wife, the actor Penelope Wilton.

A post shared by The Guardian (@guardian) on

And lastly…

View this post on Instagram

“Filth are my politics, Filth is my life! Divine as Babs Johnson in the John Waters classic, “Pink Flamingos” 1972 #johnwaters #pinkflamingos #babsjohnson #divine #popeoftrash #princeofpuke #baltimore #filth #filthelder #filtharemypolitics #filthismylife #badtaste #trashcinema #midnightmovie #undergroundfilm #iamdivine #mysondivine #politics #shockvalue #indecentexposure #mrknowitall #pencilmustache #thisfilthyworld #eatshit #condonefirstdegreemurder #advocatecannibalism #filthy #trash #film #cinema

A post shared by John Waters Divine Trash Page (@john_waters_divine_trash_page) on

This is an open thread.

10 Comments on “Sunday: The day after…”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

This is our last day of the move. We are exhausted. I have no idea what is going on in the world, so much to catch up…but this tRump rally being a dud gives me hope.

OMG! I was so happy last night when I realized it was going to be a big dud. He got what he deserved and I hope it keeps happening.

• quixote says:

Part of me wishes the tiktokers had kept quiet about their strategy so we could all just imagine he has no support. And it’s going to give the Dumpaloes an excuse so they can imagine he’s really wildly popular.

But it *was* a good thought and a fun strategy — way to get to the Rancid Landfill while not being exposed to his germs — and good to know Gen Z has their act together!

• quixote says:

speaking of protests and germs, early data out of Minneapolis indicates all the mask-wearing by protestors has kept transmission down to just the usual background level in the area (around 1%). Article in wired.com

We’re doing a huge field experiment in the value of mask-wearing, with protests where surveillance cameras can give an estimate of proportion of participants wearing masks, and now the Dump rallies with almost no masks. (Of course, if so few go that there’s good social distancing at those rallies, that’s a complicating factor.)

• quixote says:

JJ, I know how bad moves are, so I don’t say this lightly, but if it’s kept you away from the news, it may have had its good sides!

I mean, did you know that if you don’t get pregnancy tests you’ll never need to worry about getting pregnant? It’s true! The Dump said so! According to himself at the Dumb Rally he’s ordered reduced testing so we don’t have so much covid.

(Which isn’t actually funny and is going to kill more people and should be investigated and if more than the usual delirium he should be charged, tried, sentenced and convicted for yet one more murder spree and yadda yadda yadda.)

JJ,

Good luck with your move. I think it took me nearly a year to get past my last one from a house to an apartment three years ago. I’m so much happier where I am now, but it was a big adjustment–not the place but all the changes that went with moving, along with the physical issues I was going through.

2. Pat Johnson says:

Trump must have lost his mind looking out at a mere 9,000 compared to the 1 million projected by his campaign to be in attendance.

Can’t wait for the “leaks” to come out regarding his tantrum at such a low turnout.

His bubble must have burst all over the room!

• Enheduanna says:

I sure hope so. Queue Brad Parscale firing in 3, 2, 1….

LOLOLOL And he’s supposed to be such a techno whiz, right? Him and Kuschner know all about the Internets. Bwahahahahaha. Fooled by thousands of teenagers. I’m so proud the K-Pop crew stepped up. I love K-drama (too old for K-Pop) but bless them!!!!

JJ – thanks for the post and also for remembrance for Ian Holm. One of my favorite villains is “Ash” in Alien. Such a wonderful actor! RIP