Wednesday Reads: The Last Civil War Pensioner

The protests continue…

There was some elections yesterday…

And the last Civil War pensioner has died.

Irene Triplett collected $73.13 from Department of Veterans Affairs, benefit for her father’s military service in Civil War

Here we are, still fighting the battle for equality for poc… it is disgusting to see the things that brought us to this latest boiling point.

Just a few moments from yesterday’s worldwide outcry for justice for George Floyd.

View this post on Instagram

Donald Trump was elected to serve us all — but he only looks out for himself.

A post shared by Joe Biden (@joebiden) on

View this post on Instagram

George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Sean Reed, Breonna Taylor, Atatiana Jefferson, Kathryn Johnston, Anthony Hill, Kevin Davis, Jordan Davis, Walter Scott, Renisha McBride, Tamir Rice, Philando Castile, David McAtee, Tony McDade, Sandra Bland, Trayvon Martin, Oscar Grant, Antwon Rose, the Charleston 9, John Crawford, Alton Sterling, Nicholas Thomas, Amadou Diallo, Eric Garner.

A post shared by Tyler Spangler (@tyler_spangler) on

View this post on Instagram

You could have done the only right thing.

A post shared by Samantha Bee (@fullfrontalsamb) on

At the time that I wrote this post…the final results were still unknown. So these are just a couple comments:

You can catch all the latest updates at this link:

This is an open thread.

19 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: The Last Civil War Pensioner”

I’m thrilled about Steve King losing the primary!!

3. quixote says:

Oh my effing–, I–, I mean–.

Anyway. Apparently we’re all wrong. The only reason for all these protests is because nasty people want to damage the Dump.

Did you know it’s about him? It’s about him. There’s the formless void of the universe, and floating in it, the one inhabitant, the orange blob.

• quixote says:

I don’t remember which jurisdiction it was. I do remember it was a woman who ran it. She said right from the beginning any abuse of police power on her watch would be prosecuted. She improved police training so it was clear what was abuse and what was necessary restraint when it was needed. And if I remember that article correctly, it was a few years ago, this hypermacho BS stopped happening.

We (humans) actually know how to do this. For a while, and maybe only in some situations?, the UK police were a model for the world. The Germans, with their history, were dead serious about anti-authoritarian training for their cops, and in my experience when I lived there eons ago, it worked very well.

Goons believe might makes right. If their superiors tell them clearly that abuse of power isn’t tolerated, they find ways to keep their impulses under control. Or they don’t go into police work.

• quixote says:

I know I keep saying this, but Jesus H. Christ, what part of “divide-and-bully-what-remains” do these people not understand?

It’s the ONLY way he’s ever operated. It’s always the way he operates. He doesn’t even understand what “Pretend to care” means.

How can the Mattises of the world not see this? They got their eyes in their pockets and their noses on the ground?

It’s too little too late. He could have spoken out during impeachment and chose not to.

People on Twitter commenting that these troops are all white.

• quixote says:

I think the troops would have to be very carefully selected. It would be embarrassing if a few men of conscience snuck in (they’re all men, as well as all white). There they’d be, refusing to gas people. Next thing you know they’d be kneeling with the protestors. It would totally ruin the optics the Dump wants.

• Minkoff Minx says:

That is an important point…geez.

We are moving to the new house so I am completely off line now. But this is clearly something that should be pointed out.

• quixote says:

Moving is awful always. But now? My sympathies! I’m at the tail end of my last move and so fed up with the whole process I’ve stalled on unpacking most of the boxes. Once I found the plates and pots it was like, do I need anything else? no. I don’t even want to see that stuff.