Sunday Reads: Fuck Trump

View this post on Instagram

Look, an introvert in quarantine. #itsme . . . . . Christoffel van Sichem the Younger (1581-1658) – The boy in the skeleton. ##tarot #tarotcards #tarotreading #tarotreadersofinstagram #antique #art #card #oracle #divination #cartomancy #cartomancer #museum #library #collection #quarantine #stayhome #safe

A post shared by Laetitia (@laetitia.cartomancy) on

I’ve had a migraine for two days…

View this post on Instagram

2020 to-do list. #dumptrump #trumpvirus #fucktrump #magaisformorons #thedailydon

A post shared by Jesse Duquette (@the.daily.don) on

View this post on Instagram

imma hand these out at Target at Clearview

A post shared by yatpundit (@yatpundit58) on

Here’s a few tweets:

This is an open thread.

40 Comments on “Sunday Reads: Fuck Trump”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Regarding the Biden ad…

• quixote says:

I can’t stand to watch most of these people, but I skimmed that ad because it got such glowing reviews.

For me, Eltawahy has gone off the deep end about some things, but I agree with her on this. It rubbed me the wrong way too.

Maybe, since the Dump is setting up to have Chinese bogeymen for November (it’s apparently not going to be ZOMG! Caravans! this year), this is Biden’s way of taking that away from him.

Maybe it’s practical politics.

Whatever it is, it’s still smelly.

Huh? I didn’t get that impression at all from Biden’s ad. I couldn’t see anything in it which would encourage racism against people of Asian descent. The ad was attacking Trump. I don’t think Eltahawy’s got a point here.

• jslat says:

Agree.

• quixote says:

I just skimmed it, so I missed the finer shades. But listening with half their mind — at best — is probably how most people will absorb it.

What leaves the icky (to me) impression is the agglomeration of China-poor-response-China-Trump-flattered-them-China-he-let-Chinese-people-in-China-no-CDC.

The *point* is the Dump did NOT fend off Chinese bogeymen like he’s going to pretend he did.

The *impression* is zomg-this-is-China’s-fault. That’s what will remain like scum on a bathtub for people who aren’t already pro-Biden.

The biggest problem is there’s enough truth in all of it to be really damaging as half-truths.

Politically, it may be smart to direct someone who already would like to be mad at China to be also mad at Trump.

And epidemiologically, China definitely dropped the ball badly at the outset and that did enable all the downstream problems.

But humanly, hammering home the Chinese connection like that enables picking on Asian-Americans. Whether this factor should be outweighing the political factor, I don’t know. Ethically, it’s a huge NO. But we are in a fight over the survival of the country, so ethics may be a luxury. Which is also ultimately lethal.

There are no good choices because a bunch of idiots made bad ones long ago.

No more than hammering home the Russian connection with Trump enables picking on Russian-Americans.

I still can’t see anything in the ad other than hammering home that Trump screwed up — there’s the lies about how it’s under control, etc. And Trump is the one who ran an ad implying our former Ambassador to China, (WA state’s former governor Gary Locke, who is Asian-American) was a Chinese official.

• quixote says:

Theoretically. Except that Russian-Americans are harder to pick out of a crowd. (C’mon, Luna!)

I’m not saying it’s a good way to see the clip, or that Biden even meant it that way. But let’s check back in a couple of weeks. If I’m wrong, it won’t add to any of our problems. (And, admittedly, is pretty mild and presumably wouldn’t add much in any case.)

I didn’t see it either. I can try watching again.

• Catscatscats says:

What bothered me was Biden saying he would demand that the CDC go into China to assess the pandemic. IIRC WHO wanted to do that but China wouldn’t let them in. Is there a treaty or international law that allows one nation to enter and inspect another upon demand? If Russia or China wanted to send in their epidemiologists to assess the F*** up that is our pandemic response, we as a country would be okay with that? Biden’s outrage was too much for me. He is just another bully without filters.

P.S. i will hold my nose and Vote for Biden but right now his only redeeming feature, other than not being trump, will be a wowza VP choice of the woman persuasion.

My understanding is that it wouldn’t be unusual during an event of significant medical or scientific interest to have other medical or scientific professionals there to learn. Someone knows someone who studied with Dr. A or published with Dr. B or spoke on a panel with Dr. C, or there’s contact through one of the international professional orgs. There are International Associations of Whatever Specialists in any field. I don’t think it’s odd. A nation does not have to let anyone visit they don’t want visiting, of course, but if approached through medical channels I doubt there’d be a real problem, except of course in totalitarian countries like China. Which is not to say it shouldn’t be tried.

• quixote says:

The Chinese government has recently been very good about cooperation to deal with flu and emerging diseases. It was *Trump* who got rid of the CDC’s epidemiologist on the spot in China in October 2019.

• Catscatscats says:

Thanks, ladies! Still think Biden is a hot head and my expectations of his leadership and “healing” skills are so, so low. He will inherit an economic disaster of epic proportions. We need a woman, stat!

• quixote says:

Yes. Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

2. Minkoff Minx says:

• quixote says:

Interesting report about that at TalkingPointsMemo (with links to sources).

It looks like the undercount of covid-19 deaths is by a factor of about 2. So if they say there are 15,000, there are really 30,000.

And that does not count all the people who died of other causes, such as heart attacks, who normally wouldn’t have but who the hospitals were too overloaded to care for.

Grim.

The cause-of-death category on death certificates is somewhat problematic. In some states you can list several diagnoses; in others you’re limited to one diagnosis. In the end we’ll simply have to estimate off the available data as to what % is directly due to coronavirus and what % is due to a combination of factors including coronavirus.

“We are worried that there might be a higher death toll from neglect of other diseases” than from covid-19.

Five weeks into a nationwide coronavirus lockdown, many doctors believe the pandemic has produced a silent sub-epidemic of people who need care at hospitals but dare not come in. They include people with inflamed appendixes, infected gall bladders and bowel obstructions, and more ominously, chest pains and stroke symptoms, according to these physicians and early research.

“Everybody is frightened to come to the ER,” [Dr.]Puskas said.

Some doctors worry that illness and mortality from unaddressed health issues may rival the carnage produced by the virus in regions less affected by covid-19. And some expect they will soon see patients who have dangerously delayed seeking care as ongoing symptoms force them to overcome their fear.

6. quixote says:

The story about the “redirected” — hijacked! — PPE? That is, for the love of Christ!, in the New England Journal of Medicine.

That’s a bit like the Wall Street Journal editorial page suddenly becoming an organizing center for Women’s Resistance marches.

I’m just sitting here, while the Russian mob behavior of this Administration slowly sinks and settles into my mind.

I mean, I’m the one who’s been saying (as Sarah Kendzior so perfectly said) they’re a transnational crime syndicate masquerading as a government.

And yet, to see it in the New England Journal of Medicine still floors me.

/*gobsmacked*/

Over the last few weeks, it has started to appear as though, in addition to abandoning the states to their own devices in a time of national emergency, the federal government has effectively erected a blockade — like that which the Union used to choke off the supply chains of the Confederacy during the Civil War — to prevent delivery of critical medical equipment to states desperately in need. At the very least, federal authorities have made governors and hospital executives all around the country operate in fear that shipments of necessary supplies will be seized along the way. In a time of pandemic, having evacuated federal responsibility, the White House is functionally waging a war against state leadership and the initiative of local hospitals to secure what they need to provide sufficient treatment.