Sunday Updates

Covid -19 Updates

Today’s update at 9:45am …Eastern.

I wanted to share the Johns Hopkins University Covid-19 website with you all:

Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

The number of cases worldwide around midnight last night.

I tried to embed the code onto the blog, but it will not work….

This site updates continuously, it is an excellent source for information.

Another source you may want to check out is your state’s public health department.

For example, Georgia’s COVID-19 Daily Status Report | Georgia Department of Public Health updates the Covid-19 website twice a day…

Louisiana:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Department of Health | State of Louisiana

North Carolina:

NCDHHS: COVID-19 Case Count in North Carolina

Florida:

Home | Florida Department of Health COVID-19 Outbreak

Massachusetts:

COVID-19 Cases, Quarantine and Monitoring | Mass.gov

Texas:

News Updates

California:

nCoV2019

Not all the states have their information updates…take Idaho for instance…Health

That state has no information for their residents. Not even a note, saying wash your hands!(It has a little link for the CDC alerts.)

So, take a chance and see what resources your state has for Covid-19.

*** CDC has the updates for the states at their website, as well as, the links to each state’s individual Covid-19 website. ***

This is an open thread.

77 Comments on “Sunday Updates”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Of course the CDC has the updates for the states at their website:

It is given in range form. Georgia has 555 cases as of 7pm last night. The CDC puts the number at 100-500.

3. Enheduanna says:

Hope everyone is OK. Thanks for the links to good info. Watched (binged) a really good series on Netflix last night- Self-Made, the story of Madame C.J. Walker. She is the first self-made woman millionaire in the U.S.!

Watching the news – people are flocking to see the cherry blossoms in D.C.! We are so doomed…

Rand Paul has tested positive for coronavirus!!!

Hahahahahahhahaha!

• quixote says:

I wonder if he got it at CPAC, or standing (unnecessarily) shoulder-to-shoulder with the Dump for the cameras, or from donors at a fundraising party, or talking to other Repub senators, or, or, or, or, or….

Watch now. In 3… 2… 1… they’re going to discover voting electronically is A-OK.

• quixote says:

“He got his result this morning and still went to the gym and a lunch meeting with other Republican Senators.”

????? Um ????

Did he at least tell everyone? Somehow, I’m betting not.

Christ in a face mask.

yeah, of ALLLlllll of them it’s mr libertarian junior

5. Enheduanna says:

MSNBC reporting Rand Paul is positive for Covid-19!

I see you two SkyDancers rushed here to tell us the good — err, I mean the news! Oh, schadenfreude. Can anyone find PPE for his nurses and physicians and respiratory therapists?

6. palhart says:

That Johns Hopkins site has its maps and info in a dashboard framework, which makes it the COOLEST OF ALL! I had to pull myself away. North Carolina as of today has no deaths from the virus. (I made that evaluation without clicking on MIT’s site!)

7. MsMass says:

Here’s a site that gives state by state projection curves- Seems here in MA peak should be around middle of May. With 3 month shelter in place. Sooner, if no lockdown. I don’t know how good their data is. Anyway you look at it, it’s sobering.

I see my state has already passed the point of no return for overload of hospital beds.

Oh.

Just rechecked that site with the #s from Johns Hopkins. We have a few hundred fewer cases, not to mention fewer hospitalized cases, than the covidactnow.org side predicts. So we’re doing a good job, or else the site is over-pessimistic.

It says the estimate is for what happens if nothing is done. Your Gov. has probably expanded hospital beds. We are supposed to get help from the Army Corps of Engineers.

Our Gov and the officials on down (county executive and mayor, public-health dept) have done a good job with closures and what testing can be done so # of cases is accelerating as fast as otherwise. I don’t think anything has yet been done to expand hospital beds other than urge postponement of elective surgery. Many people with + tests can be isolated at home. We do have new isolation facilities set up to put people in who otherwise couldn’t isolate, or who are homeless (despite some NIMBY-ing). Inslee’s asked for a hospital ship, but so has Oregon.

Just saw that Elon Musk is shipping 50,000 masks to a UW research physician. It happened because of a friend of a relative who works for Musk got medical supplies and then arranged to have a donation sent to Seattle. Good for us here, but really the country should have central coordination.

• palhart says:

I’m replying to Luna’s Cuomo comment that doesn’t have a Reply button.

I find it odd that Trump hasn’t jumped on the DPA to order companies to rush medical supplies to the states unless he doesn’t want to help Democratic governors of Washington, California, New York, and Illinois who, he thinks, have had too much tv air-time and rave reviews. Also, he can blame them if the US surpasses Italy in viral cases to become number 2, right behind China (#1).

• roofingbird says:

It’s the States’ job! No, it’s the Fed’s job! No, it’s the States job and we are “Repugnants in charge”, so we win!

And my Gov is a ‘snake,’ sez Trump.

• jslat says:

Just a note. When I clicked on that site, I had a “suspicious site” warning pop up.

• quixote says:

If you mean the “datacat.cc” site, I’m 99.9% sure all it means is they have too much to do to run around getting their certs okayed. That site is fine. So, unless the url your link actually points to is something else, you can add an exception for datacat.cc or whatever your system allows you to do.

The Alameda County [California] Sheriff’s Office advised electric carmaker Tesla to close up shop, issuing a ruling Tesla was not an “essential business” after chief executive Elon Musk had thousands of employees report to work.

What an asshole.

I just saw that NYC has said that liquor stores are essential businesses. In Boston and a lot of towns around here, you can’t buy alcoholic beverages in grocery stores. If they close down liquor stores, there will probably be a rebellion. I’m glad I don’t have to worry about that.

• quixote says:

My significant other doesn’t have (much??) of a problem with alcohol, but his first comment about shortages, a few weeks ago!, was ‘oh my god what if they run out of beer!’

😆

Def a rebellion!

• quixote says:

How sweet. :eyeroll:

So nice of him to be happy to help those with fewer advantages while telling those spoiled USers not to think their government is a shipping clerk.

(I think I’m with bb. I hope he gets sick.)

9. palhart says:

I recommend reading “Singapore is the model for how to handle the coronavirus” at the MIT site. Lee Kuan Yew, the young, visionary, technocrat, leader, founding prime minister, dealt with the outbreak immediately and had issued test kits soon thereafter. We have more than this virus to rid ourselves of.

• quixote says:

Well, to be precise, the technocrat is also a dictator who, in calmer times, had draconian punishments for spitting out your gum on the sidewalk.

It’s useful in a real crisis. The trick is to know when to turn that attitude off.

• palhart says:

Yew died in 2015. It was most likely his son, Lee Hsien Loong, PM since 2004, who carried out the handling of Singapore’s COVID-19 breakout. Even though I found the article misleading on my second reading, as the author could have named the present PM for those of us who are unfamiliar with this country’s leaders, I take responsibility for my error. (For what it’s worth.)

• quixote says:

Hey, no problem! The point remains the same. They’re still doing a lot of things right re the pandemic, and they’re still a dictatorship (as far as I know, which may not be very far).

In a crisis everybody just has to work together and not argue uselessly. Be nice if we in the US had a more widespread understanding of that!

Hadn’t seen GI symptoms as common in covid-19 until an article the other day. GI symptoms such as diarrhea and abdominal discomfort appear in ~30% of covid-19 cases. Higher if anorexia is included, but I agree it shouldn’t be included as anorexia frequently presents with many illnesses, not just covid-19. GI symptoms also tied to worse outcomes.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927112#vp_1 May need to log in (accounts are free) to view.

• quixote says:

These people. Can’t provide masks. Can’t provide tests. Can’t pay people for lost income so they can self-isolate. Can’t stop the so-called Prez doing shoulder-to-shoulder pressers.

But get the dictatorship going? Coming right up!

• quixote says:

Erm, part of the uniform is the top button undone? On seriously goodlooking guys? I’m with NY on this! Send them on over! 😆

• Sweet Sue says:

I need the kiss of life.

• roofingbird says:

I am admittedly out of date here, but I will be grateful if COVID causes a razor shortage. I just have never been able to get behind being sandpapered by outgrowing chest scubble. It reminds me of the TV shows, etc. when rapists shave everywhere to avoid leaving DNA. A bare chest doesn’t fit that uniform, and it looks weird with a beard.

To add to that, I can’t stand being sandpapered by outgrowing facial stubble. Either shave or don’t, but none of this slovenly 4-day outgrowth. Makes me think “ouch!” whenever I see it, regardless of how good-looking the face.

14. Minkoff Minx says:

I have added a link list up top on the side margin…as this progresses I will add more links. any other suggestions?

Arrwwwk! (breaks into tears) Damn everyone who didn’t vote for Hillary to a purgatory with covid-19 and no beds in the ICU.