Sunday Thoughts

The above statement was running through my mind all week long.

View this post on Instagram

"Donald Trump must be convicted and removed from office," Rep. Adam Schiff argued before the Senate last night. "Because he will always choose his own personal interests above our national interest. Because in America, right matters. Truth matters. If not, no Constitution can protect us. If not, we are lost." #RightMattersTruthMatters

A post shared by Hillary Clinton (@hillaryclinton) on

Do you think this statement is making a dent in any of those fuckfaces opinions?

Me neither…

27 Comments on “Sunday Thoughts”

This was the newspaper I grew up reading. It was a great read compared to the Council Bluffs, Nonpareil and the Omaha World Herald which where the other local rags. This used to make a difference back in the day but here it is for what it’s worth …

JJ, so true about that first picture!

Am I really the only one who remembers that this man was a rapist?

I don’t think so … I was actually up in Evergreen with a toddler Jean near the place it happened …

As I recall the charges were dropped ? I think that was the one instance yes?

The charges weren’t dropped. He released the name of the woman and made her life a living hell until she was afraid to testify. There was plenty of evidence and he had to admit it in the settlement. And I seriously doubt it was only one time. You might want to read up on the case; there was a good article in the Daily Beast.

UPDATE: there was a second victim who was going to testify but she backed out because she didn’t want to go through the hell the first woman experienced.

I’ll bet his victim is having a tough time right now. I’m very sorry for his family, but I won’t celebrate a rapist.

He also was strangling his victim and nearly killed her. I see nothing to celebrate in a man who violently assaulted and raped women. We’ve only heard about the 1 case, but like BB I suspect there were more — men in sports tend to have the attitude that they should be able to use women as they want.

I also see nothing of special benefit to society in men chasing balls around. Major-league sports takes more money out of the community than is brought in by the sports tourism.

I’ll go look at the Daily Beast. it’s been awhile since I read about it. I do remember being surprised they let him continue to play …

I’m more sorry about the 13 year old daughter frankly. She had her entire life ahead of her and was evidently very talented bb player too.

• quixote says:

Finally. You’re the only person, bb, I’ve seen who’s been feeling the way I have. When the reports started coming in and all the adulation, I was saying, “Wait, what? Is there some other basketball player with the same first name?”

But no. Same horrible human being, and apparently they just don’t care.

I do feel sad about the daughter, who looked like a real bright spark. And the other seven people. There were other fatalities too, weren’t there?

And me too, quixote!

• Minkoff Minx says:

No BB, it was the first thing I said when I was told about his death.

Hollywood Reporter: Remember When Kobe Bryant Was Charged With Rape? I Didn’t Forget, and Neither Should You

Most celebrities, especially sports stars, have been treated as special since they were young. So why is it more believable that a woman would try to entrap a celebrity by saying consensual sex wasn’t consensual and less believable that a celebrity would use his superior size and strength to inflict himself on a woman? The answer is that it isn’t more believable. Yet when society makes a judgment about these situations, it finds in favor of the accused. And the only reason this can be true is misogyny: The mind-set that a woman entering a famous man’s room, and maybe kissing him, has given license to that man to rape her.

If we really want to reduce the incidents of violence against women, we need to first accept that in the vast majority of accusations of rape, as studies have shown, the accusers aren’t lying. And second, if the facts strongly suggest that a celebrity has committed a rape, we can’t just forget what they did and go to their games and buy their jerseys and the sports drinks they promote. Because if you wanted to encourage a culture of rape, the best way to do so would be to endorse and honor the most visible members of society who have been accused of rape.

• Minkoff Minx says:

BB and those tweets were sent out four days ago when an article about Bryant support of women came out. The tweets Clara sent seem almost like a premonition.

Well, that doesn’t surprise me … including she’s got a degree in European Studies from Cambridge so why wouldn’t she know where the ukraine is?

The e-mails are about the negotiations for the interview. Pompeo claimed he wasn’t told she would ask questions about issues other than Iran.

• quixote says:

Does anybody know why being asked questions about another country is such a big deal? He’s SoS. He should be prepared to answered questions about *any* country. I know she mentioned she was planning to ask about Ukraine, but even if she hadn’t, why is it something for him to get furious about?