Wednesday Reads: Holy Hell, Holy Sh*t

Good morning, when I started writing this post, I had no idea about the new battlefields in Iraq.

So…some of the cartoons may be a little, dated. Here’s to WWIII

What the fuck is wrong with these people? “Holy Hell?”

View this post on Instagram

Day 1080: Very cool of Iran to spare the Tomb of the Unknown Hairline. #presidentfulldiaper #unfit #asteriskpresident #magaisformorons #thedailydon

A post shared by Jesse Duquette (@the.daily.don) on

View this post on Instagram

Aww don’t worry President Corned Beef Personality, I’m sure you’ll draw a massive crowd when it’s your time. #sad #bebest #asteriskpresident #magaisformorons #trumpcrimefamily #thedailydon

A post shared by Jesse Duquette (@the.daily.don) on

As if all that wasn’t bad enough,

Lastly, a bit down under:

View this post on Instagram

Among the many apocalyptic scenes from the Australian bush fires has been the presence of explosive, towering clouds appearing in the skies above the fire zones of southeastern Australia. These clouds are fire-generated thunderstorms. Their presence is an indication that a fire is exhibiting extreme behavior, such as spreading quickly beyond containment lines, switching its direction of movement, and even whipping up fire whirls and full-fledged fire tornadoes. The fires have been so intense that they’ve lofted smoke particles all the way into the stratosphere, in part through the clouds that in some cases look more like explosions. Once in the stratosphere, which is the layer of the atmosphere above where most weather occurs, in the troposphere, these particles can travel thousands of miles and even influence regional and global climate. Read more by clicking the link in our bio.

A post shared by The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) on

View this post on Instagram

My illustration for the Australian bushfires. I can’t seem to find any more words that haven’t already been said, there’s only sorrow and tragedy. I pray for Australia, the people, and wildlife…🙏🇦🇺 #saveaustralia#pen#watercolor#penart#watercolorart 🖤 Edit: I’m so incredibly humbled by the overwhelming response to my illustration. Thank you all for the tremendous support! I thought I would try to help a little more by providing some links to organisations/volunteer work to donate to, on my Facebook page. Link to my Facebook is on my bio. Any donation big or small can go a long way to help!❤️#helpaustralia

A post shared by Melina Illustrates (@melanippe_art) on

View this post on Instagram

my heart hurts for Australia 💔 here is a list of places you can donate to if you’re able to! feel free to add more in the comments if I missed any! 🦘 @wireswildliferescue, @redcrossau, @1300koalaz, @cfavic, @act_wildlife, @wildlifevictoria 💓

A post shared by Robin Eisenberg (@robineisenberg) on

This is an open thread.

16 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Holy Hell, Holy Sh*t”

1. Enheduanna says:

Thanks for the round-up JJ. My heart goes out to the people and wildlife in Australia. It’s pretty gutsy to take in koalas, as so many people have done. If they feel threatened they can actually kill you.

2. quixote says:

Great cartoons, JJ. I think my favorite isn’t one of the cartoons, though. The “we define holy differently” one.

Big Tech turns up the censorship dial.

Pelosi says House will vote Thursday on measure to limit Trump’s military actions regarding Iran

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) announced that the House will vote Thursday on a measure to limit Trump’s military actions regarding Iran. Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) said the classified briefing by Trump administration officials Wednesday was “probably the worst briefing I’ve seen at least on a military issue in the nine years I’ve served in the United States Senate.”

The House Rules Committee on Wednesday night established parameters for a vote on the war powers resolution, which would limit Trump’s military actions against Iran.

• quixote says:

God, this makes me want to scream. Hello? We have laws that say a Prez has to consult Congress before going to war.

He. Is. Ignoring. All. The. Laws.

So how is passing yet another one going to do anything? Gives me the same feeling as stories about rearranging the deck chairs on the goddamn Titanic.

No one’s enforcing the laws. Repugs think it’s just fine to break the law as long as a Republican does it.

Can we possibly be so lucky? Relatively lucky, that is.

Donald Trump backed away from further military confrontation with Iran on Wednesday after days of escalating tensions, saying Tehran appeared to be standing down following missile attacks on two Iraqi bases hosting US and coalition troops.

• quixote says:

Well, after an initial dive, the stock markets recovered nicely on the assumption he was just chest thumping. Then they started to trend more seriously down when they thought, “Hey, wait a minute. We don’t actually know what this baboon is going to do.” So then he started making more soothing noises.

The pattern holds every single time when he does something even more cockamamie than usual. Danger of market crash? He stops doing it, whatever it is.

Because he knows he hasn’t got a prayer of staying in power if the economy tanks, and then he’s afraid of going to jail.

• quixote says:

Needless to say, he’s shit at estimating the consequences of his actions, so he could easily overshoot on the bluster and find out things had spun out of control.

As some Democrat said on the Hill: it takes two madmen to start a war and luckily Iran hasn’t got one.