Wednesday Reads: Heartbeat bill my ass!

We gotta shut this shit down:

Especially this shit:

You got that right…

Georgia governor signs ‘heartbeat bill,’ giving the state one of the most restrictive abortion laws in the nation – The Washington Post

The American Civil Liberties Union and other critics including medical lobbies have called bans on abortions after six weeks — which have been struck down by at least two courts — draconian, unscientific and part of a deliberate strategy to pass increasingly radical laws in hopes of getting the issue before the U.S. Supreme Court. They have vowed to bring a lawsuit targeting the legislation — and promised electoral payback as well.

Leana Wen, president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, said in an interview that the Georgia legislation is part of a larger landscape of nearly 300 antiabortion bills introduced so far this year in 36 states. Many of them contain far-reaching provisions, such as one in Georgia that would allow authorities to investigate women who miscarry and one in Texas that would allow capital punishment for those receiving or performing an abortion.

“This is an extremely dangerous time for women’s health all around the country,” Wen said.

[…]

Like some other versions, Georgia’s law includes exceptions for incest, rape and situations of medical futility or where the health of the mother is at stake. But unlike the others, Georgia’s says a fetus is a “natural person” and “human being” once a heartbeat is detected.

Which can lead to possible other conclusions? Like this thread from Leah McElrath….

And then there is this shit:

What the fuck are they talking about? Is this procedure done at your local CVS or Walgreens? Where women can also get a pap smear on their cooch and x-ray possible tumors on titties…while they pop in for any other supplies they may need?

Walgreens Corrects Fox & Friends: We Don’t Offer Pap Smears

On Saturday’s Fox & Friends, co-hosts Steve Doocy and Brian Kilmeade attempted to dismiss the importance of Planned Parenthood funding by claiming that services like pap smears are available “at Walgreens.” In response to an email about the segment, a Walgreens spokesperson told Media Matters that they do not offer such services.

The Fox News hosts’ remarks came during a discussion of the debate over federal funding to Planned Parenthood. During the budget showdown, Republicans attempted to remove federal funding for the women’s health group. Planned Parenthood defenders, such as Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid, have argued that the funding is necessary because it goes to “clinics that provide services like cancers tests that save women’s lives and save money down the road by catching diseases that are expensive to treat.”

On April 9, Doocy and Kilmeade responded to Reid by dismissing Planned Parenthood services:

STEVE DOOCY: And the thing about it that was audacious was the fact that he [Sen. Harry Reid] was talking about Planned Parenthood being this great provider where women can get blood pressure checks, and pap smears, and breast —

BRIAN KILMEADE: Which you can get at Walgreens.

DOOCY: –examinations. Exactly right.

Ah…memories….that was from back in 2011. We have come a long way baby!

This is an open thread.

28 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Heartbeat bill my ass!”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

If the tweets are not loading fully, please click on them…they have pictures of the law quoted…so you can read the words directly.

The reason I spent today on this subject alone:

My daughter had her miscarriage recently…this could have affected her.

• Minkoff Minx says:

I went ahead and added the picture of the tweet, just in case there is a problem with twitter fully loading…

• quixote says:

Gawd I am so tired of the mealymouthed shit saying “most restrictive abortion law.” Implying that if you carefully color inside the lines, you can still do it. NO YOU CAN’T. “Passes law making abortion illegal” is what you mean.

And then point out the contradiction of turning women into brood mares who have to carry forced pregnancies, but at the same time having the legal standing of a human being who can be responsible for murder.

2. teresainpa says:

This is crazy shit. I think a full scale boycott of the state is in order. All film and TV should stop shooting there. People should go out of their way not to have layovers there….
    Women in GA need to wake the hell up and vote.

• Enheduanna says:

I’m awake and I vote. Georgia has a huge reliable voting block of women of color (I am white). The state almost voted in the first black woman governor in history – had it not been for voter suppression. Georgia is not the only state with the fetal heartbeat rule. And I’m sure Pennsylvania has a few things to answer for.

We need to work together.

• Enheduanna says:

Forgive me for sounding testy – I understand how frustrating this is.

I used to work the ticket counters and gates at Atlanta Hartsfield Airport. Atlanta is a heavily Democratic-leaning city. Cast and crew of Walking Dead usually reside in the Atlanta area in District 05 – John Lewis territory – when they film here. My sister runs into Andrew Lincoln in her neighborhood often.

Boycotts can be effective I guess, but in this case I’m thinking Kemp and his ilk wouldn’t care.

Republican idiot has no idea — and didn’t bother to check with any medical experts — that this experimentation would likely kill the woman and the embryo.

• quixote says:

Erm, *human* life is what you mean you mean, Splitty. Or are you planning to force everyone to be vegan? I thought you people were apoplectic about cow farts depriving us all of beef?

Now go ahead and define when being a human person starts. Go on. And have fun drawing the line. It has to include something without myelinated nerve cells and totally dependent on someone else’s life support. But it also has to exclude women.

Otherwise you can’t force them to be brood mares.

• quixote says:

Medical experts? What for? Who needs all these arrogant elitists with their edumacations when I know what’s right in my deeply held feelz.

4. RonStill4Hills says:

Nightmarish get overused, but GODDAMN!

Wait, GODDAMN geSt overused but THIS IS A NIGHTMARE!

No, no, still not right.

THIS IS A GODDAMN NIGHTMARE!

5. RonStill4Hills says:

I suppose riding a bike, roller blading, driving a car recklessly, going to a home depot in this open carry sh!thole state where shooting may occur…all of that is probably punishable irresponsible behavior.

6. Enheduanna says:

Don Jr just got subpoenaed to answer questions about the Russia Moscow project…..

Trump, Democrats are locked in a constitutional showdown over Mueller’s report

The constitutional conflict between congressional Democrats and President Trump accelerated sharply Wednesday, as the White House blocked access to potentially damaging information in special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s work and lawmakers declared the standoff had become a crisis.

The committee, led by Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), voted to hold Attorney General William P. Barr in contempt of Congress over his refusal to furnish an unredacted copy of Mueller’s report.

10. RonStill4Hills says:

Even as extreme as this is Uncle Thomas and the Supremes cannot be counted on the strike it down.

After shouting match breaks out, Alabama Senate reverses course and tables controversial abortion vote

After a fight broke out, the Alabama Senate on Thursday voted to table a controversial bill to criminalize abortions by making preforming the procedure a felony punishable by up to 99 years imprisonment.

The bill, which appeared to pass by a vote of 23 to 6, was then tabled. Democrats shouted demands for a roll-call vote.

The vote was then tabled until next week. The bill would be the most restrictive in the country and would impose what is in effect a near-total abortion ban.

Sorry, I’m a little absentee lately. I’ve had my plumbing collapse under my house and need to be completely replaced, lost drinking water for 2 days because a 1915 vintage water main broke, had this eye issue which severely impacts my ability to see much, then my A/C needed to have its line cleared because water started coming into my kitchen.

I need to get a break around here before I break.

xoxo

• quixote says:

Josh Marshall (and Tony Schweizer (sp?) Dump’s biographer!) have been on that story. To say nothing of the New Yorker, Adam Davidson, March 2017.

For that matter, New York tabloids have been publishing his financial (and other of course) shenanigans since the 80s. But at least we didn’t get the lady who had three emails that were classified after the fact.