Wednesday Reads: The Usual BS

04/03 Mike Luckovich: Sunday’s half-priced!

04/02 Mike Luckovich: Touching moments

03/31 Mike Luckovich: Selective outrage.

04/03/2019 Cartoon by John Cole

Cartoon by Deb Milbrath - #MeToo over-reach

BE BEST: 04/01/2019 Cartoon by Deb Milbrath

Cartoon by Deb Milbrath - BE BEST

GA 6-Week Abortion Bill Passes: 03/30/2019 Cartoon by Deb Milbrath

Cartoon by Deb Milbrath - GA 6-Week Abortion Bill Passes

This is an open thread.

26 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: The Usual BS”

2. Sweet Sue says:

Knock Knock
    Who’s There?
    Orange
    Orange Who?
    Orange glad you’re not Melania?

She gets paid well for a job that has to grow more horrid by the day. I suppose she day dreams of fatal heart attacks continually.

• RonStill4Hills says:

Didn’t you watch The Americans? Russian sleeper agents are trained to endure all manner of distasteful acts in order to maintain cover.

I would imagine that if she had to she could sleep with “Moose and Squirrel.”

When you move through the world with the knowledge that you’ll have to contend with even well-intentioned men violating your boundaries, and you’ll have little recourse when they do, it’s exhausting. These small indignities are difficult to talk about, so for the most part, they go unnamed.

As Rebecca Traister put it in New York Magazine, Biden, despite his support for women in certain respects, “has provided liberal cover to anti-feminist backlash, the kind of old-fashioned paternalism of powerful men who don’t take women’s claims to their reproductive, professional, or political autonomy particularly seriously, who walk through the world with a casual assurance that men’s access to and authority over women’s bodies is natural.”

• quixote says:

Pelosi trying to help Biden to not make a total fool of himself: “[He] has to understand in the world that we’re in now that people’s space is important to them, and what’s important is how they receive it and not necessarily how you intended it.”

He keeps saying he’s just “affectionate.”

If it’s affection, how the other person feels is always the point.

The Speaker of the House doesn’t have to remind you there’s a human being at the other end of your “affection.”

The fact that she has to tell him that his target’s feelings exist really throws the “affection” bullshit back into his teeth.

4. quixote says:

The cartoon about the 6-week ban I’m waiting to see goes something like this:

Withholding water from someone dying in the desert, covering someon’s head in a plastic bag and then just watching them. And then a woman chained to a plow and all her kids and pregnant. And barefoot, of course.

Using a person’s biology to control them is how you enforce slavery. It’s how you do torture.

We, meaning also cartoonists, need to focus on how this is all about *controlling* women. It has nothing to do with life, whether of fetuses or women. That’s why it’s useless to point out that they’re killing women with this medieval shit. For them, that’s the point. How else do you get control?

• Enheduanna says:

Excellent. Along with discrediting Confederate war “heroes” we are getting better at centering our history around the human race – not white European men.

7. lililam says:

It doesn’t happen as often as it used to now that I am “old and in the way’, but a very friendly man took it upon himself to “guide” me by placing his hand in the middle of my back and pushing me along as I was visiting my mom at assistive living. I was going to say something to the management, although my mom liked him and I never witnessed any impropriety, other than what he did to me, but noticed that he doesn’t work there any more. It gave me the creeps and I froze.

• lililam says:

That was meant to come under Dak’s quote above, sorry!

• lililam says:

If you have ever seen that clip of Manafort, back when he was still wearing suits, condescendingly “guiding” his female defense attorney, that’s what I am talking about. They used to show that walk to the courthouse over and over again ad nauseum, literally.

Yeah, you shouldn’t have to endure that.

I’ve always disliked when men hold a hand behind or on my back to “guide” me — it feels controlling. When someone pulls out a chair for me and then pushes it back in once I’m in the chair — it’s controlling.