Sunday Reads: 3 Mexican Countries

Ugh….and that isn’t a joke, or the Onion…

Seriously…it was actually on Fox News, as tweeted by editor in chief of Politico:

Check out some of the replies to that tweet. Some are very funny.

I am pretty sure this has been discussed:

(I still have my card in my wallet too.)

Fucking disgusting.

Under the bridge: migrants held in El Paso tell of dust, cold and hunger | US news | The Guardian

Migrants are held for processing under the Paso del Norte Bridge in El Paso.

For three days and nights, Maria and her 14-year-old son were penned behind barbed wire, under a bridge in El Paso. Cold, hungry, surrounded by sick and crying babies and with only the stony ground for a bed, her first experience of America was not as she had imagined.

“I came here to work and get a better future for my family,” she said. “I never thought I would go through this.”

Maria (who is from Guatemala and who requested the Guardian not use her real name) and her son are among hundreds of Central American migrants who have been detained by US immigration agents in an area of dirt under the Paso del Norte bridge. The full brutality of the conditions in this makeshift prison-cum-shelter is only now starting to emerge.

Reporters are being kept away from the area under the bridge, which connects El Paso with Ciudad Juarez in Mexico. But migrants who have been held there, some for hours, others like Maria for several days, have begun to tell their stories.

El Paso Migrant Holding Pen ‘Looks Like a Concentration Camp’ Says Women’s March Spokesperson

As immigration advocates sound the alarm over “inhumane” conditions for asylum seekers who have been forced to wait under an overpass outside a Border Patrol station in El Paso, Texas, some activists have started to draw comparisons between the holding site and “concentration camps.”

Commenting on photos showing hundreds of predominantly Central American asylum seekers, including many families, being forced to wait under an overpass in El Paso for their asylum claims to be processed, Women’s March director of communications and digital outreach Sophie Ellman-Golan said on Twitter that the site “looks like a concentration camp.”

Who knew you could get a succulent ass for only $6.99!

This is an open thread.

20 Comments on “Sunday Reads: 3 Mexican Countries”

1. roofingbird says:

You too, skating vengeance!

2. lililam says:

Not that he is the cause of that horror in El Paso, but where is Beto? It is his beloved city- his time and money would be better spent shedding direct light on this fiasco than campaigning in Iowa, or am I a bit bitter?

• Sweet Sue says:

He was in El Paso, yesterday for the official start of his campaign. I’m not a fan but, of course, I’ll vote for the nominee. I would have a real problem “pulling the lever” for Sanders but I don’t think there’s much chance that his name will be on the ticket.

• lililam says:

Thanks- I have been on a mini news blackout- did he do anything about the fence under the bridge? I will support him as well if he were the nominee, but would prefer one of the women or Inslee.

3. Sweet Sue says:

Thanks, JJ.
    Yes, we need another Daniel Ellsberg.

Millions of salmon, hundreds of whales, thousands of bear, deer, elk, and millions of trees are celebrating!

Federal judge declares Trump’s push to open up Arctic and Atlantic oceans to oil and gas drilling illegal

The decision by U.S. District Judge Sharon Gleason is the third legal setback this week to Trump’s energy and environmental policies. The judge, who was appointed to the federal bench by President Barack Obama in 2012, also blocked on Friday a land swap the Interior Department arranged that would pave the way for constructing a road through wilderness in a major National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska.

Earlier this week, U.S. District Judge Lewis T. Babcock, who was appointed by President Ronald Reagan, ruled that Interior’s Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service illegally approved two gas drilling plans in western Colorado. The judge said officials did not adequately analyze wildlife and climate impacts in their plans — which were challenged by a coalition of environmental groups — to drill 171 wells in North Fork Valley, which provides key habitat for elk and mule deer.

“President Trump’s lawlessness is catching up with him,” Erik Grafe, the lead attorney from the environmental law organization Earthjustice who argued to reinstate Obama’s leasing withdrawals in the Arctic and Atlantic, said in an interview Saturday. “The judge’s ruling today shows that the president can not just trample on the constitution to do the bidding of his cronies in the fossil fuel industry at the expense of our oceans, wildlife, and climate.”

• RonStill4Hills says:

It was pretty sickening listening to the apologists make excuses for him this morning.

Sort of like how no one has ever seriously asked how Poppy Bush grabbed ass for years and no one ever called him on it.

I don’t want the left you eat there own but there has to be accountability.

Biden needs to answer on his treatment of women starting with Anita Hill and he needs to answer on his pre-Obama race rhetoric.

Hills caught Hell night and day for everything she ever said or did. I will be damned if Captain Likability gets a free pass!