Wednesday Reads: The F.U. seen round the world….

Some tweets from last night and this morning:

Yes, she fucking was!

I have to agree with this next statement…especially since Perdue is my Senator:

And one last tweet:

02/05/2019 Cartoon by Joe Heller

Cartoon by Joe Heller -

Procession: 02/05/2019 Cartoon by Paul Fell

Cartoon by Paul Fell - Procession

This is an open thread.

Advertisements

40 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: The F.U. seen round the world….”

1. Enheduanna says:

JJ – thanks for the Patton Oswalt tweet – I almost ruined my keyboard. The “Fuck You” clap – hahahahahahahahahaha

Pence clappity-clappity-clapping in that first cartoon! He’s such a wind-up robot.

House intelligence panel sends Russia transcripts to MuellerThe panel voted unanimously Wednesday to send to Mueller all the transcripts from its Russia probe, according to Rep. K. Michael Conaway (R-Tex.), who was in charge of that investigation. Schiff told reporters that the transcripts, which would be transmitted to Mueller immediately, include some that the special counsel’s office has not had access to, as well as transcripts they have not legally been allowed to use. [emphasis added]

Mueller “will now have access to those transcripts for any purpose that will facilitate justice,” Schiff said.

5. RonStill4Hills says:

The bad guys sort of have us in a trick bag with the racist behavior. What is a career ending mistake for us is resume polishing for them.

I hope that the Fairfax affair turn out to be about personal revenge and not what it is alleged to be, but the truth will out. Convenient accountability is no accountability at all. The chips need to fall where he may for all involved.

When I saw the statement from the Virgina AG my first thought was “shit-god-double-damn what did we do to hear people and why do they hate us so?”

You peel a layer and it is just fresh hate underneath.

• quixote says:

You ever seen a bigger dog attack a smaller dog who then runs off to take it out on an even smaller dog?

It’s nothing to do with the smallest dogs. Social hierarchies just make us conveniently powerless. Safe targets. They don’t care about us enough to hate us, really. They’re just into feeling better, spewing venom.

I don’t understand it. Hatred out of insecurity about differences? Callousness? Fear of someone different? (when actually people want fairness and respect and equality).

Some of it is probably plain dumbness, going along like sheep with their fraternity’s ‘leader.’ Lack of awareness. Though less virulent than hate, none of that is a good excuse.

Growing up in the North I didn’t see examples of blackface except in some old books. I was always puzzled why they wore blackface to act as doofuses. The acting was such a caricature of some sort of silly creature that I could not relate it to actual people, but there was something that made me uneasy. Couldn’t they act like doofuses just as well without that weird paint? I admit I was totally clueless as to the history of blackface. And back then there was nothing in my school’s history books.

We’re about to start finding out …

• RonStill4Hills says:

I have this sick feeling that at the end of the day the Governor and Attorney General will be forgiven and the Lieutenant Governor is the only one who will pay a price in all this.

Frat boy skating for bad past behavior is quite common, as is guilty until proven innocent black sex monsters.

I keep saying that the truth is most important, and it is. But I don’t want to KNOW Northam and Herring are guilty and watch them walk away unscathed.

I am not yet convinced that the Fairfax accuser is telling the truth but she doesn’t seem to be a flake. I don’t yet see a motive to lie.

• RonStill4Hills says:

Overly simplistic but not entirely wrong.

And to complicate matters Repugs accused (I’d Say guilty) of racism or sexual assault say “So what?”

I don’t think so. Vanessa Tyson is credible and her description of what happened amounts to rape.

6. roofingbird says:

I had a moment of hallucination during the praise of the women, where I thought he might promote the ERA. It would have been wonderful, and he could have made it happen, even if only to reduce outrage over reinstatement of the draft.

10. RonStill4Hills says:

I think Elizabeth Warren is in big trouble too. She looks ridiculous.

She should have said in 2012. “I knew our family connection to native heritage was thin but I thought it was more interesting than being white bread vanilla. It wasn’t a big deal at the time and I relied on family tradition as a basis of justification. I didn’t worry about whether it was factual, I thought it was cool.”

Now she looks like she has been engaging in a seven year lie. I don’t think her campaign is over but I don’t think she will ever be president, and this is probably the most significant reason.

What a shame because she is smart passionate and talented.

• RonStill4Hills says:

Now I am being mealy-mouthed. It was a lie. People lie. Admit it. How can this one lie disqualify her against a man who tells ten lies before breakfast. The left does have a problem. We are zero tolerance for ourself out of the game. We have to figure out how to deal with faults like lying.

I’ve thought all along that the Warren attacks were ridiculous, but I’m having a little trouble understanding why she actually put “American Indian” on a document. And she says there could be more of these.

• quixote says:

There are two things going on with Warren’s claims: 1) Is there any basis in fact? 2) Does the current context justify those claims ten and more years ago?

1) She had her family stories and she believed them. That by itself makes it not a lie, in the literal meaning of the word. Her DNA test showed that the family stories had a basis in fact, so, again, not a lie.

2) The current context assigns a major cool factor to not being (all) white. How these things are decided varies by the group. Cherokee certainly have definite guidelines and she does not come up to those. But then, she never said she did.

She was grasping the “cool” factor at a time when it wasn’t such a big internet crime as it is now. (For one thing, there wasn’t much internet then.)

And that last bit gives this whole thing a real whiff of But Her Emailz. People are piling on in a fit of performative virtue to put down a talented woman.

It’s related to the Northam fiasco. How do you make it Not Okay to use minorities for your own ends, but without giving assholes a tool to get rid of people who are in their way?

• RonStill4Hills says:

I said “lie” in the truest little white fib sense…a small fish story. Nothing more. She should have buried it right away with “I loved the idea of Native heritage so I chose to believe the stories without doing any homework”, so fucking what? Now she looks evasive. I hate it for her because this is all achit job. No doubt.

• Fannie says:

She was going by oral family history that was passed down. And yes, we find out that many lie, sweep the truth under the carpet, and dream of having an Indian Princess in their lines. She should have admitted it as been oral history, and should have looked into her genealogy, prior to DNA.

• Fannie says:

oops..as being not been.

Oral history, yes, but my impression of researching your genealogy — from what I’ve seen of relatives doing it — is that it takes a great deal of time and travel to libraries, historical archives, etc. Oh, now so much is online, but not then. If your ancestors were poor, there were few records on them, and likely fewer or no records to survive. American Indians probably did not show up in the official records very often.