Wednesday Reads: Screw those virtual hugs.

Take your virtual hugs and fuck off….

I think that social media is turning everyone into anti-social assholes.

I went to a Christmas party this holiday season…it was a small party, when I got there I gave the people hugs. Why? Well…because it was fucking Christmas…and because I am an affectionate person and…being Latin, it is part of our DNA…you hug people you care about, especially if it is a fucking Christmas party.

Dammit, I could feel the animosity…

It seems as if the Facebook society has given people the excuse to become pseudo-Zuckerburgs.  By that, I mean…adopting an emotionally inept attitude, lacking any sentimental bonds or real human connection that is not some kind of fake fucking virtual “like” or “love” emoji.  In other words, behaving like a robotic asshole.

It is all bullshit….so damn sick of those “No Touch” memes:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Welcome to a world where the only acceptable hug…is the virtual one you get over the fucking social network.

Here is my reply, via emoji:

#🖕🏻🖕🏼🖕🏽🖕🏾🖕🏿

Cartoon by Clay Bennett - Clay Bennett editorial cartoon

New Year Baby: 12/31/2018 Cartoon by Paul Fell

Cartoon by Paul Fell - New Year Baby

01/01/2019 Cartoon by MStreeter

Cartoon by MStreeter -

Bruce Plante Cartoon: Happy New Year?: 01/01/2019 Cartoon by Bruce Plante

Cartoon by Bruce Plante - Bruce Plante Cartoon: Happy New Year?

2019 eve: 12/31/2018 Cartoon by Deb Milbrath

Cartoon by Deb Milbrath - 2019 eve

WINDFALL: 12/30/2018 Cartoon by Deb Milbrath

Cartoon by Deb Milbrath - WINDFALL

And with that…I turn it over to you.

This is an open thread.

28 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Screw those virtual hugs.”

1. Joanelle says:

There never was anything social about social media, the term is an oxymoron!

2. Joanelle says:

Oops, here’s to a much betr year, and to Mr. Mueller kicking the biggest a$$ of all.
    Happy 2019 Skydancers, enjoy your clean slate!

3. Minkoff Minx says:

Then you have this idiot:

6. quixote says:

Aw, JJ. Sounds like the “holiday” season, which I gather you spent on your feet and cooking, was kind of a bummer. Man, the whole world needs to become a better place, and fast!

7. OG says:

I like hugs at Christmas parties.

Happy new year.

I like hugs anytime, even virtual hugs!

Good, since so far all I can send to everyone here are virtual hugs!

I don’t like indiscriminate hugs. I don’t like hugs from people I don’t know, or from people in general unless I know them and feel more than a brief or shallow connection. Telling me I should like hugs is like telling me to smile — it’s condescending and presumptuous.

I do like hugging people I feel affection for.

WaPo has a similar article on their web page.

9. Enheduanna says:

Hey Luna – what do you think?!

Jay Inslee running in 2020.

He’d be good. He’s been an attack dog on Trump. He’s been good on climate change, livability, education and health care. He served several terms as a representative in Congress before running for and winning the governorship.

…the proposal Trump was pushing after the Parkland shooting to arm teachers with guns. Inslee called it ridiculous. He told the president to stop tweeting and start listening. He watched the president’s arms cross into his telltale grumpy self-hug, his hands shoved back behind his armpits, elbows up, lips pursed. (“If he’s ever carved on a mountain, it won’t be Mount Rushmore, it’ll be Mount Petulant,” Inslee told me later. “And that’s the pose.”) Other governors in the room were considering jumping into the presidential race. None of them said anything.

Want to know what Inslee 2020 would be like? Like that, he says.

Governors have inherent advantages of experience for the Presidency. They have to manage large organizations and systems, facilitate initiatives, and further diplomacy, trade, and similar relations with other states and other countries. The West Coast States, especially California and Washington, have close ties to Canada and several Asia countries through trade and cultural programs.

The big problem I have with Inslee is that he gave Boeing a huge, huge subsidy so they would stay in the state. Boeing took that, gave Washington the finger, and moved its headquarters to Chicago. Oh, most of the engineering and airplane production is still in Washington, but Inslee gave Boeing a ton of money and they screwed him (actually we the WA state taxpayers) over. I would hope he’s learned from that — it was in his first year or two in office — but I and many, many others saw it as helping big corporations at the expense of the people.

He does see climate change even in events which are not due to climate change, which annoys the scientist part of me, but OTOH he makes it a prime issue, and we badly need a POTUS who does that.

I’d be very happy with him as POTUS, but I want him with a WOC as VP, or him as VP to a WOC.

WE NEED TO RETHINK THE WAY WE TALK ABOUT WOMEN IN POLITICS

We need to stop grading our female candidates on a curve where being a white guy gets you an automatic A and being a woman gets you called a C-U-Next-Tuesday student. In 2016, a woman received more votes for president than any white man ever. And yet the only person far too many Democrats believe can save us in 2020 is a white guy. If it’s not Beto, it’s Joe Biden or Bernie Sanders or Sherrod Brown who are being floated as our only chance in the next presidential election. When a woman or person of color is mentioned it’s as the number-two spot. Listen up, White Male Democrats (and Bernie Sanders): We are not your sidekicks. We are done being your Hermione Granger who does all the studying and planning while you get to be “the Chosen One” because you once touched tips with Voldemort’s wand.

And part of ensuring that we’re judging our female candidates like we judge our males is paying attention to how we talk about them. In 2008, I defended Sarah Palin. She’s a horrible human unqualified to watch Veep, let alone be Veep. However, I defended her against those who criticized how much she spent on clothes. Why didn’t we know how much Biden spent on suits? He was running for vice-president, too. Maybe if we stopped talking about what our female candidates wore and how they looked, they wouldn’t need to spend so much money on their appearance.

How we talk about these things matters. Allowing people to complain about Hillary’s voice without questioning why they’re complaining about it is exactly why we’re here today, trying to force ourselves to be happy that we gained back the House, even though we can’t get fuck-all done without the Senate and it doesn’t matter anyway because these Republicans govern with a lawlessness that steals votes, fixes elections, defies orders, obstructs justice, and supports white nationalists and rapists. I’m so sorry you thought Hillary sounded like she was yelling at you. You know who is going to yell at you? Me, if I see you touting one more white man for 2020 without mentioning women and people of color with the same or better qualifications. I will make “shrill” seem like a Southern drawl offering you a cool drink on a hot summer day if I hear how he just “excites” you in a way they don’t. I will make “loud” and “lecturing” sound like mere suggestions being whispered in a library by someone with a sleeping baby if you continue to make your approval a rock on a hill and every female candidate Sisyphus trying to get it to the top.

bye bye asshole!!!

Oh for crying out loud! (as my father used to say)

Trump defended his push to fund his promised border wall, parrying complaints from Democrats who have called the wall immoral by remarking, “Then we have to do something about the Vatican, because the Vatican has the biggest wall of them all.”

15. RonStill4Hills says:

Some say that the Roman Republic died with Caesar at the feet of the statue of Pompeii Magnus. How ironic that the American Republic is dying at the feet of Pompous Magnate.