Wednesday Reads: Hurricane Michael and Cartoons

This is the most current NHC forecast for Hurricane Michael.

You can find more alert information here: HURRICANE MICHAEL

This is a GIF image from last night:

From the reports, it looks like the panhandle of Florida is gonna get the shit kicked out of ’em….and according to the MSNBC dude on Brian Williams show…”towns will no longer be recognizable.”

Here are your cartoons, starting with some from Facebook…

Thanks Susie: 10/08/2018 Cartoon by Deb Milbrath

Cartoon by Deb Milbrath - Thanks Susie

Clay Bennett editorial cartoon: 10/09/2018 Cartoon by Clay Bennett

Cartoon by Clay Bennett - Clay Bennett editorial cartoon

Peas in a pod: 10/09/2018 Cartoon by Ed Hall

Cartoon by Ed Hall - Peas in a pod

Fab: 10/04/2018 Cartoon by Ed Hall

Cartoon by Ed Hall - Fab

10/09/2018 Cartoon by Jimmy Margulies

Cartoon by Jimmy Margulies -

10/08/2018 Cartoon by Jimmy Margulies

Cartoon by Jimmy Margulies -

That one was from a few days ago….

10/09/2018 Cartoon by MStreeter

Cartoon by Steve Artley - Senator McConnell and Mr. Hypocrite

It’s a Hard Knock Trump: 10/07/2018 Cartoon by Steve Artley

Cartoon by Steve Artley - It's a Hard Knock Trump

10/07/2018 Cartoon by Signe Wilkinson

Cartoon by Signe Wilkinson -

HOW ????: 10/07/2018 Cartoon by Deb Milbrath

Cartoon by Deb Milbrath - HOW ????

I know this one was in the comments yesterday…

10/10 Mike Luckovich: Credible witness

10/09 Mike Luckovich: Boilin’ in style

Hat Check-Head Check: 10/09/2018 Cartoon by Paul Fell

Cartoon by Paul Fell - Hat Check-Head Check

I will end with that one.

This is an open thread.

Advertisements

40 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Hurricane Michael and Cartoons”

“Ever since last years Irma, and the aftermath of that tree making our house into something of a taco shaped ruin…any breeze over 15 mph gets me nervous.”

That’s very understandable. I hope it doesn’t hit you hard, JJ. The storm is very fast-moving. It’s supposed to get to us tomorrow.

There seems to be no end to their cruelty.

I’m 2 years out from medicaid. Until then, I just fret now.

Medicare, right?

And Medicare only covers 80%. Trying to cover the remaining 20%, say for cancer treatment, could bankrupt many people. I’m a few years further out and I worry. Right now I’m in fairly good shape but have several pre-existing conditions. I hope they stay quiescent.

My Medicare supplement costs me nothing. I have to pay fairly high deductibles, but I can manage. $20.00 for regular doctor, $40.00 for specialists. I don’t know what the income limits are on these plans; they are subsidized. The monthly cost for Medicare has gone up, but I get that covered too. There is quite a bit of help if you’re low income. I just hope they don’t cut more.

• quixote says:

I think that may be specific to Massachusetts, bb? The state has a pretty good system. Courtesy Romney, if I remember right, and very similar to what Obamacare would have been if the Repubs hadn’t thrown a hissy fit at it.

No, I don’t think so. I was sent info directly from Medicare. The help with the monthly charges came from Medicare. I also get prescription coverage. It may be that the state contributes too.

BB, you’re lucky. I checked WA state and federal Medicare websites & found this info:

Medicare Part A is free for most and covers only hospital inpatient costs for a limited period of time. Some hospital costs may not be covered. Part B is for doctor/provider and other outpatient costs.

Part BYou pay $183 per year for your Part B Deductible. After your deductible is met, you typically pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for these:

Most doctor services (including most doctor services while you’re a hospital inpatient)
            Outpatient therapy
            Durable medical equipment (DME)

Medicare coverage is based on 3 main factors

Federal and state laws.
            National coverage decisions made by Medicare about whether something is covered.
            Local coverage decisions made by companies in each state that process claims for Medicare. These companies decide whether something is medically necessary and should be covered in their area.

Medigap (Supplemental) plans average $130-$250/mo in WA state. These plans, which can help cover that 20% that Medicare doesn’t cover have deductibles and co-pays.

Financial help with Medicare parts A, B or C (Medicare Advantage but not Supplemental) is limited to those with
            assets under $7,560.

Pretty dismal. BB, sounds like you’ve got a far better deal in Mass. WA state is usually better than average with healthcare. I hate to think what it’s like in some other states.

Part B is $134 per month. Part B doesn’t cover you to go to a doctor. You have to have a supplemental plan for that. I don’t know what that $183 per year is. I get help because I’m poor–living on Social Security and a tiny retirement annuity. I’m still too “rich” to qualify for Medicaid though, lol

But yes, I’m glad I live in a civilized blue state.

Luna, Washington state offers help with Medicare for low income people. Here’s the web page:

Those are the ones where your assets have to total under $7,560 as mentioned above in 1 of my links. Won’t work for me. Not that I have huge assets, but more than that.

Part B text above is copy-and-pasted from the link in bold. Part B does cover 80% of doctor visits. Yes it’s confusing to me too! That “$183 per year” is on their page.

You’re right that I did leave out the monthly premiums for Part B, so that adds even more cost.

I know. That’s why I specified that I’m very low income. I couldn’t possibly afford doctors appointments without the supplement.

I particularly like this because a) I’m part Welsh and b) I grew up in the country in the middle of acres of trees.

• quixote says:

They still need to correct some of their previous glaring omissions and retroactively give Nobels to Rosalind Franklin — putting her name well before Watson’s! — for the discovery of DNA, and Lise Meitner for splitting the atom.

Exactly. That Franklin wasn’t honored especially infuriates me. I need to read about Meitner — haven’t heard about her for some reason.

• Gregory P says:

The first time I saw her X-ray pictograph’s of the double helix I knew the truth that both Watson and Crick were frauds right from the start. Their cover story of figuring this stuff out while drinking in a pub. Laughable. They stole her work and got credit for it. Totally shameful.

• Enheduanna says:

Wow – the twitter feed especially.

It’s still calm and misty here in ATL. We are supposed to get it tonight, albeit south and east of the city. My little shack is NW of the city.

JJ – hope the trees hold. It’s good the last storm knocked the weak ones down.

Another sheer coincidence.

9. quixote says:

Great cartoons, JJ. *Loved* the one contrasting the women’s shelter and the men’s shelter.

Wil Donnelly:

BREAKING: Senators Leahy, Menendez, Corker & Graham have triggered the Magnitsky Act over Jamal Khashoggi’s disappearance. Trump admin must determine if Khasshoggi was a victim of killing, torture or gross violation of human rights. If yes, then automatic sanctions on the Saudis.

11. Sweet Sue says:

So Trump holds one of his ersatz Mussolini rallies while hundreds of thousands Americans are in harms way? Revolting.

Read the replies!

• Sweet Sue says:

You know what they say about us liberals? We all look alike.

He shouldn’t have gone to that coffee shop all alone. Besides, the liberal respected him by not giving him a concussion. Anyway, baristas will be baristas.