Wednesday Reads: Begging, no more.

I can’t do this anymore. I live in a house where everyone has no problem with the crimes against humanity that tRump and his administration is committing at the border. (My mom is so sick now, she doesn’t have the strength to fight cancer and the assholes in this family.) I am losing my wits. I have reach the point where I am questioning my sanity. Is it gaslighting? I can’t even watch Maddow anymore, because I get verbal abuse from my father…who insist I agree with him. I want to fucking run away but I can’t.

I think this is the final example:

I hate all of these assholes with more than anything I’ve ever felt before.

Oh…and get this:

Separated: 06/19/2018 Cartoon by Rob Rogers

Cartoon by Rob Rogers - Separated

Good Boy: 06/19/2018 Cartoon by Tom Curry

Cartoon by Tom Curry - Good Boy

06/19/2018 Cartoon by Jimmy Margulies

Cartoon by Jimmy Margulies -

06/20 Mike Luckovich. Flagged.

06/19 Mike Luckovich. Torn apart.

06/15 Mike Luckovich. The Choice.

06/17 Mike Luckovich. All new villains!

This is an older Luckovich…

This is an open thread.

Advertisements

93 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Begging, no more.”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

I will post some updates below…just want to repost this link:

How you can fight family separation at the border.

2. Minkoff Minx says:

3. Minkoff Minx says:

Businesses have made millions off Trump's child separation policy

However, by reviewing publicly available contracts data, Yahoo News was able to identify five companies that are participating in the operation of the shelters, including two companies that have not previously been tied to the program. And in response to inquiries, one of the companies said it would cease participation in a program that required it to “maintain readiness” to transport young migrants to government facilities.

4. Minkoff Minx says:

5. Minkoff Minx says:

I guess tRump found the one thing that got the Russia investigation off the news cycle.

6. RonStill4Hills says:

I mentioned this in the previous thread but I want to reiterate that this separation policy is the mindset of much more than one single megalomaniacal individual. Dehumanizing people who seek help from the government IS NOT NEW!

November 27, 1994|By RICHARD O’MARA
    Resurgent Republicans in Congress under Newt Gingrich are breathing new life into an idea whose time most people thought had already come and gone.

They want to bring back orphanages and other forms of state-supervised residences to care for the illegitimate children of young women who would be cut from welfare rolls under their proposals.

In addition to evoking images of little Oliver Twist begging for another bowl of porridge, the initiative, a part of the Republicans’ Personal Responsibility Act, has sent a shiver of apprehension through the community of child-care workers.

Remember? Make the cost of aid sooo high, that the brown scum will not dare seek it!

Newt the father of our current scorched earth partisanship tried this already with actual citizens.

This is who they are, worse this is who they WANT to be.

• Minkoff Minx says:

It is absolutely horrifying Ron:

7. Minkoff Minx says:

8. Jslat says:

F**king Basket of Deplorables!!!!

9. quixote says:

Minx, so, so, so sad to hear that your own situation is so bad. {{{hugs}}} And you know the truth. A million lies don’t change it.

Excellent post. Good, Imma-gonna-start-bawling cartoons.

Yes, I can’t imagine what it would be like to live in a house with people who actually support Trump. Right now, I’m feeling so traumatized by all this that I feel the need to talk to my own mother. I’m just glad I still have her.

I love you, JJ.

• teele says:

I feel really bad for you. I don’t live with my father, and have spoken to him twice in the past year and a half. I searched for a father’s day card that had zero sentiment, and finally found one, but when this started breaking last week, I decided not to even send a “duty” card. I am so angry with him, and can’t forgive him. Of course, it’s not just his belief that Mr. Pantsonfire is the “smartest president we’ve ever had,” it is the fact that when I googled his name before the 2016 elections to get his address for a birthday card, his donations to Paul Ryan were laid before my eyes like seagull shit on a beach. Without the ACA, I will likely never receive any medical care again, but what the hell, my old man got his and that’s what counts, right? My brother has been informed by my sister and I that if my father is in need of care, it’s him or nothing; we will take care of our mother (they’ve been divorced for 40 years), but the complete betrayal of everything our father brought us up to believe is inexcusable. I had many sleepless nights over this for about a year, but as long as he is continuing to support these m-fers, when their policies are hurting his own children, I will not be able to speak to him. I can’t imagine having to be around him daily.

BTW, if you get podcasts on your phone, subscribe to Maddow and listen to it through your earphones. Also, I am passive-agressive by nature, and I highly recommend it as a way to deal with situations like these. Expressionlessness (except cold steel in the eyes) drives people wild. Then it is just a matter of not laughing out loud when they start acting the fool! (Dont’ do this if there’s a chance he might hit you).

teele, good advice. And I agree with your decisions. It’s not easy, but it’s deeply exhausting and harmful to be around these people.

I’m fortunate it’s just a few cousins I could care less about. My sister is a Republican and once he got the nomination she simply said “I guess I’m voting for Hillary” . I have no idea what I would if it was my Dad. He used to watch Fox News and get all riled up. We both worked hard to get him to watch sports instead. I think he would have been appalled by all of this.

JJ, How awful to have to live with Trumpists. That must drain your heart and mind.

My sister and her husband turned into (well, he probably was all along) racist sexist Xians some years back. They screwed over my elderly mother and me. My sister alternated between “I’m sorry; my husband made me do it” and greedy cruelty too many times. I ended up having to cut off all contact with them and feel so much better. However that’s much, much harder to do when it’s your own husband and you have kids.

Gentle hugs for you, JJ.

• Fannie says:

Thinking of you JJ, and know that I will always support you! I have had a death in family…..mercy having to go into Rural America Trump Country, might do me in. I am planning my escape among a huge number of family members.

10. Pat Johnson says:

I am unable to understand anyone defending and supporting this shitshow under any circumstances.

I am all for immigration reform but separating babies, toddlers, and children from their parents is despicable. No other word for it.

But this is the same administration looking to cut healthcare from the disabled, those with pre existing conditions, the elderly, women and children to justify their “tax reforms”.

These people are heartless; they have lost their humanity, their judgment, their morality.

The only way out of this is to vote out every GOP congress critter in November.

• quixote says:

Obviously I get that making some kind of fun of the poor child is heinous.

But I live under a rock, so I don’t know that actual reference. What exactly does he mean, “womp”? Is it the new “neener”? Was it on teevee somewhere? Who comes up with this stuff?

• RonStill4HIlls says:

Sad trombone, precisely, “You lose, ahhh.”

Here is what happened:

An ALT – Right Racist forgot for a second that he was not in the echo chamber of the White Supremacy web. They say stuff like this and worse when they think no one else is listening.

Corey went on TV and forgot his hood was showing.

For them cruel is cool. Rude Crude Attitude is highly prized, that is why the revere Ted Nugent.

Funny, mocking the pain and misery of a handicapped child makes them feel like big men.

Orangutrump did the same thing with the “infest” remark. He is not clever enough to come up with that on his own. Somebody that he thinks is “kewl” said it first.

They repeat and retweet these hateful inflammatory comments all the time, the dumb ones do it in front of cameras or under their real names.

Lewandowski’s excuse for this disgusting display was, “the law is the law….”

Please God in heaven let Robert Mueller acquaint these low life sons-of-b!tches with the deeper meaning of “the law is the law.”

Short of that can we grant the family of this child Visas so that they can come here and beat the living sh!t out of Corey Lewandowski?

Those are all great cartoons, although it’s painful to read them. The one about the Pittsburgh publisher who fired the cartoonist is fantastic.

Trump says he’s going to sign something to stop the family separations. No details yet.

If he does it, we will still have to force him to give the children back to their parents. We can’t let him get away with the horror he has already created.

• Jslat says:

That has been an overriding fear of mine. We need to make sure every child is returned. After reading the Michigan Civil Rights Department’s statement about the children and infants from this separation policy being fostered in Michigan. I have been urging all of my friends across the country to contact the Governor’s office, or Attorney Generals office or Civil Rights Department, if they have one, in their state to insist they find out if any of these babies are being fostered in their state and protecting their right to be reunited with their families.
        Jesus wept! Ifeel like I’m living in an American nightmare!

okay … we may have a white flag from the orange NAZI in the White House

I’m waiting to see what actually happens. Thousands of children have already been kidnapped. Plus, Trump has his Hitler rally tonight in Minnesota. We’ll see what he tells the deplorables.

Meanwhile, thousands of children have been traumatized and may never get back to their families. I hope no one believes this is going to solve the problems Trump has caused. How will they identify who the babies are and where they came from? Will we need DNA tests? As far as I can tell, children have been taken without identifying information.

EDITORIAL

Stephen Miller is the architect of family separation at the border. He must go.

IN ANY OTHER WHITE HOUSE, someone like Stephen Miller never would have had a job. Now Donald Trump’s 32-year-old senior adviser has caused his biggest outrage yet: the family separation crisis at the border, a shameful national crisis born of cruelty, incompetence, and prejudice.

20. Jslat says:

Hey Skydancers, I just had an awful thought. Bear with me please. You know how the repubs have pushed back on the Rump posdibly firing Sessions? Well, the Rump is perfectly capable of denying any responsibility for the separation policy and blaming Sessions and firing him for it! What would the repubs (excuse me, the Trumpicans) do then? If he does this, you know the Mueller investigation is in danger.

I doubt he would dare do that after this clusterfuck. But we’ll have to deal with anything like that when and if it happens. This is a fight for our country, for the Constitution. Trump is working on a Hitler-style takeover, no joke.

• Jslat says:

And they will spin it, wait and see. somehow he will try to make himself the hero and praise the Trumpicans for wanting to end the separation policy!!!

We’re deep in planning for a nationwide march on the 30th and i think this was part of their calculus. If they anything more, that rally will be bigger than anything they’ve ever seen before.

21. Jslat says:

Muslim ban, transgender ban, Puerto Rico, Separation Policy. F**k them! What will happen next?????

• palhart says:

Trade war with China effects have already been noted by states like mine and Iowa. Blustering Trump will tank the economy with these tariffs. If not next, it’s festering and lowering soybean futures. Iowa exports a third of its crop to China. My state too exports soybeans, along with tobacco, wheat, and pork to China.

22. Peg says:

In Ohio another raid on a business; people (mostly Hondurans) taken into custody:
    “So far this year, ICE has arrested more than 600 workers that it alleges were working without proper authorization. That number far exceeds the 172 arrests made in 2017, according to ICE…”

Rep. Marcy Kaptur visited the women in prison in Michigan.
    “…She also said she was pleased to see the jail had a video phone system and many
    philanthropic groups are helping the women pay for phone calls to their families…”

This article describes the damage that is being done to immigrant children. It isn’t until about age 1 that children form an internal model of attachment to their primary caregivers. Even if the child has a secure attachment, their sense of safety can be damaged or destroyed by separation. That attachment needs to be reinforced over the coming years as the child learns to trust that she can move greater distances from the mom or dad and still get back safely. That process has been interrupted for these very young children.

This story makes it clear that what I have feared all along is the case. They are not even recording who these children are or the names of their parents. Some of these kids are too young to know their last names. Some are too young to be talking at all!

This Doctor Treated Kids Separated From Their Parents And What She Saw Is Heartwrenching

“Children this age are rambunctious. They climb on everything, they put things in their mouth that they’re not supposed to, they begin to explore the world away from their parents, they begin to seek and to find the limits of their world,” Neubrand wrote in a lengthy Facebook post Monday, which has since gone viral.

But the three children who were removed from their parents somewhere along the border “clung so tightly, and so completely, to their foster mothers, both in the ED [emergency department] and at home, that they were literally unable to be put down. They didn’t explore the world, they were terrified that their world would be broken for a second time. Their trauma, and the direct effect it was having on their development, was obvious.”

Helpless and concerned, the foster parents, all of whom are experienced, the doctor noted, said they had no idea what to do.

“I’m just trying not to ruin his life. He screams every day for his pappa, and I don’t even know where his pappa is,” she said one foster mother tearfully told her.

Speaking to BuzzFeed News before her shift Tuesday, Neubrand said that two of the children were from Guatemala and one was from Honduras.

That’s really all she or the foster parents knew about them.

25. Sweet Sue says:

Trump is doing one of his Mussolini style rallies tonight in Minnesota, I think, and you can be sure that MSNBC and CNN will air every single minute of his insane bloviating.

Wish I could see this exhibition of Lange’s photos, but it’s in London.

Dorothea Lange – unmissable images of the dispossessed

“The camera,” Dorothea Lange once said, “is an instrument that teaches people to see without a camera.”

One of her series, Japanese American Internment, has an added resonance given what is happening to migrant parents and children in the US right now. Made in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor, it documents the fate of the 120,000 US citizens with Japanese ancestry who were rounded up and relocated to makeshift prison camps for the duration of the war. Though hired by the War Location Authority, there is nothing neutral about Lange’s gaze, which explains why most of the photographs remained unseen for decades. “They wanted a record,” she said, “but not a public record.”

Lange remained a socially engaged photographer throughout her life, never quite reinventing herself in the restlessly creative way her contemporary Walker Evans did. Nevertheless, her gaze deepened and took on a more evocative aspect as she engaged with an everyday US defined by stark contradictions and casual injustices. Her Deep South series possesses a palpable, even poetic, sense of place, with certain images evincing an almost languorous feel even as they portray a society where segregation and exploitation have become institutionalised, and thus normalised. A 1936 group portrait entitled Plantation Overseer and His Field Hands, near Clarksdale, Mississippi, is a carefully composed tableau that implicitly portrays the deeply embedded racist power structures of the American south.

Dorothea Lange’s Censored Photographs of FDR’s Japanese Concentration Camps

“…It, therefore, follows that along the vital Pacific Coast over 112,000 potential enemies, of Japanese extraction, are at large today. There are indications that these are organized and ready for concerted action at a favorable opportunity.
    The very fact that no sabotage has taken place to date is a disturbing and confirming indication that such action will be taken.”
    — General John L. DeWitt, head of the U.S. Army’s Western Defense Command

Isn’t that last line exactly the gaslighting racist bullshit that Trump is mouthing now?

• quixote says:

The Guardian link didn’t work for me. If it’s the same for others, maybe this one will. Updated to add: turned out both links just had an extra ” in the URL. They should both work now.

She was such an extraordinary photographer. I hadn’t hear that quote about using a camera to train epople to see without a camera. Brilliant.

• quixote says:

I visited Manzanar. The buildings are all gone, but the cemetery has been preserved. People still come and bring tokens of remembrance.

The thing that awed me the most were the pictures at the visitor center of all the things the internees accomplished, starting with nothing. There’s a hint of that at the Anchor site with the picture of the landscape designer and his tiny garden.

At Manzanar, they carved out a public garden, maybe 3000 sq ft. They grew all kinds of vegetables to supplement the “canned wieners and spinach” that met them when they arrived. I don’t know if they set up schools from nothing (wouldn’t surprise me) or if the gov provided some basics, but it was definitely their efforts that turned them into real schools where their kids could learn.

Then when the war was over and the US started realizing they’d made, shall we say, a “mistake” and everybody could go “home,” there wasn’t any home to go to, for many of them. Their houses and businesses had been expropriated by Caucasian USians. And — this still just floors me — they just started over, built everything back up, and carried on. The biggest grower in my neighborhood has a Japanese name. No noise. No complaining. The stoicism just floors me.

My Gov:

And another airline company does the right thing:

32. RonStill4HIlls says:

Anybody commenting on Peter Fonda’s tweet, should have to preface comments with, “Obviously Peter Fonda’s words about hypothetical events are NOTHING compared to DJT’s actual actions affecting actual children, but…”

I Do not defending blasting the children of public figures, but I am already sick of the manufactured faux outrage.

• quixote says:

Plus, if someone’s that upset about the thought of Barron (who’s not at fault) being used as a cudgel against the Dump, then they’re presumably at least equally upset about migrant kids (who aren’t at fault) being — in fact — used as cudgels against everybody.

Right?

33. RonStill4HIlls says:

Ana Navarro jeering Trumpers because DJT’s reversal made fools of them all, echoes my sentiments perfectly. Cruella Dev-Nielsen should have resigned the moment he handed her the pen he signed the EO with.

But she is as much a coward as he is.