Wednesday Reads: A world safe from you and me….

I am numb…all over.

This is an open thread.

04/27/2018 Cartoon by Joel Pett

Cartoon by Joel Pett -

‘Dragon Energy’ Explained: 05/02/2018 Cartoon by Jen Sorensen

Cartoon by Jen Sorensen - 'Dragon Energy' Explained

05/01/2018 Cartoon by Matt Wuerker

Cartoon by Matt Wuerker -

Crying Wolf: 05/01/2018 Cartoon by Adam Zyglis

Cartoon by Adam Zyglis - Crying Wolf

Cosby Sweater: 04/29/2018 Cartoon by Rob Rogers

Cartoon by Rob Rogers - Cosby Sweater

This is an open thread…

Advertisements

27 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: A world safe from you and me….”

It is so much worse than any of us can imagine.

Did Trump Bribe Ukraine to Stop Cooperating With Mueller?

In December, the administration allowed the sale of anti-tank missiles to Ukraine. Supporters of the administration held up the sale as evidence that Trump could not have colluded with Russia — here he was, arming Russia’s enemy. “The year that began with the narrative of Trump-Russia collusion is ending with an unexpected plot twist — the Trump administration is confronting and cracking down on Russia,” reported Fox News. The Wall Street Journal editorial page mocked “people who say President Trump colluded with Mr. Putin to win the election and wants to appease him now.” Skeptics merely saw the sale as evidence that the foreign policy bureaucracy operated at some distance from Trump’s whims.

Today’s New York Times suggests a darker interpretation altogether. In response to the missile sale, Ukrainian officials have frozen out the Mueller investigation. Ukraine’s government had previously cooperated eagerly to expose the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia — providing, among other importance evidence, ledgers detailing payments to Paul Manafort by the Russian-backed Ukrainian party he had advised.

Now Ukraine is withholding cooperation from Mueller, and Ukrainian officials are not even hiding the fact that they’re doing so because of the missile sale. “In every possible way, we will avoid irritating the top American officials,” one Ukrainian lawmaker says. “We shouldn’t spoil relations with the administration.”

That is unsettling. Visions of most of the world falling into fascist dictatorships.

With Ronny Jackson out as chief White House doctor, Trump needs an independent medical evaluation — including of his mental health

4. e says:

This mess with Bornstein is mushrooming:

TPM also has an article about this. I will have to sign up for Prime over there. I agree with Marshall this could blow up pretty big.

5. Minkoff Minx says:

I don’t remember writing this post. Or publishing it…

White House lawyer Ty Cobb is exiting

White House lawyer Ty Cobb, who served as the administration’s point person in dealing with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, is stepping down and is expected to be replaced by veteran white-collar defense attorney Emmet Flood, according to senior administration officials.

Flood, currently a partner at Williams & Connolly, was quietly interviewed by President Trump in March. He served as special counsel in the George W. Bush administration and represented President Clinton during House proceedings to impeach him.

Some good news!

8. Enheduanna says:

JJ – I tried to post this earlier but got screwed up and it’s in moderation:

This mess with Bornstein is mushrooming:

9. Enheduanna says:

Good grief – this one went into moderation as well.

Good riddance to bad rubbish:

10. Pat Johnson says:

I am having a difficult time remembering what a “normal” day in America feels like.

Today’s scandal has Trump writing his own physical examination.

As if everything else going on isn’t crazy enough.

Jayzus, is this insanity ever going to end?

WTF?

This is awesome:

• Sweet Sue says:

Circle jerk, boys, and everybody’s happy.

Heer’s funny with his skewering, but frankly, do any of us give a shit about the unhappiness of “incels?” And what the hell is the “logic of commerce and technology?” I say we use technology to squinch the tiny brains of incels into harmless little cubes and freeze ’em until we perfect mental rehab for toxic masculinity.

I absolutely despise Jeet Heer and I refuse to read anything written by him.

I confess I didn’t read beyond the 2nd tweet, because the whole subject is disgusting to me. I can hardly believe even the NYT published Douthout’s piece. And that I couldn’t read at all. It’s right up there with hanging women for terminating their pregnancies. This country is getting much too close to The Handmaid’s Tale society.

Giuliani: Trump repaid attorney Cohen for Stormy Daniels settlement

Rudolph W. Giuliani, the former New York mayor and a recent addition to President Trump’s legal team, said Wednesday night that Trump made a series of payments reimbursing his attorney, Michael Cohen, for a $130,000 settlement with an adult-film actress — appearing to contradict Trump’s assertion last month that he was unaware of the payment.

“The president repaid it,’’ Giuliani told Fox News Channel’s Sean Hannity.

Trump “didn’t know about the specifics of it, as far as I know. But he did know the general arrangement, that Michael would take care of things like this, like I take care of things like this with my clients,” Giuliani said. “I don’t burden them with every single thing that comes along. These are busy people.’’

Giuliani argued that the payment to actress Stormy Daniels could not have violated campaign finance laws because no campaign money was involved.

Larry Noble, general counsel for the nonpartisan Campaign Legal Center, said Giuliani’s statements do not end the questions about possible campaign finance violations — and in fact could point to further concerns.

Keep talking, Rudy.