Wednesday Reads: Starfish and Pee Pee

Good morning.

I needed to post something lighthearted today. My mama is in the hospital with internal bleeding, the doctor had her stay overnight while they gave her a blood transfusion. Now we aren’t sure what the next step will be…

So this is going to be an open thread….

Let’s enjoy this song from Prince:

As well as the song’s origin story by Susannah Melvoin…here is just a little taste. Be sure to go to the link and read the whole story. It is special. And you will also find out about the starfish and pee pee line.

Starfish and Coffee: The Story

Prince and I spent many hours together, either in the studio working, or driving around Minneapolis talking to each other and listening to music. We talked about our histories and our secrets On a few of occasions I told him stories of a 12-year-old girl named Cynthia Rose. My sister Wendy and I knew Cynthia intimately because we shared six years in a classroom with her, plus a bus ride to school It was the Bus rides that I got to know Cynthia.

Cynthia reminds me of my brother Denny. There is a part about Cynthia’s favorite number …

Cynthia never had much interest outside of her own personal space, so watching her was an unedited version of what was going on her head. I’m certain if Cynthia were in school today? she’d still be as interesting and extraterrestrial as she was then. I think Cynthia was dropped off from another world filled with extraordinary images. Images only Cynthia knew the’ meanings behind.
Her Favorite number for Many years was the number 12. I knew this because she’d rock back and forth in her seat asking you if you knew what her favorite number was for the day… It was always shocking to her that you knew what her favorite number was I would inevitably say “I think it’s twelve, right Cynthia?” She was amazed and joyous that you guessed it right. Once more I’d watch how she would ecstatically experience the world.

Denny had a favorite number too…it was a dollar amount….8 dollar. No matter what, anything else you asked him…it usually would come to the question of, how much? And he would always reply: 8 dollar.

Just a couple of things:

What the fucking hell is this:

Is that a joke?

Oh wait, I guess this explains it:

A few cartoons:

If I am able to add more cartoons to the post I will.

It is open wide.

Advertisements

29 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Starfish and Pee Pee”

I’ll be thinking of you and your mom today, JJ. You have both suffered too much. XOXO

The East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer, prolific criminal on the loose since the 1970s, has been caught!!! Currently trending on Twitter. I’ve been following this for years!

Sacramento Bee: East Area Rapist arrested in decades-old case, source says

He raped more than 50 women, killed couples in their homes.

• Enheduanna says:

Wow – I usually know about these stories but I completely missed this one. I haven’t watched the videos yet – do they say how he was spotted?

There’s going to be a press conference at 3PM. This killer was the subject of at least 3 books. Amateur sleuths helped restart the official investigation. The latest:

I know people think it’s tacky to follow true crime stories like this, but I consider violence against women to be a political issue. We live with the bloodbath every day, just like gun violence.

• Enheduanna says:

My interest in true crime stories started I guess with Helter Skelter – and I read that as soon as it came out. It’s incumbent on us to try to understand why these crimes happen. There’s nothing tacky about it at all.

Not to mention the killer was still out there in this case.

Violence against women IS a political issue. It’s only “women’s issues” that are considered personal (and thus unimportant) by the mainstream white patriarchal culture.

Glad this evil torturer and murderer has been caught.

Think of the hundreds–maybe thousands–of rape kits that have never been processed and the predators that go undetected because women aren’t considered important enough.

This man was caught because of DNA. It wasn’t until the 1990s that police understood through DNA that the same man had committed crimes all over the state of CA over more than a decade. I can’t wait to find out where the tip came from that led police to him.

The Toronto van killer was evidently part of an group of extremist misogynist called incels who are mad because women find them unfuckable…

• quixote says:

(This is the gist of a comment I left over on Butterflies & Wheels.)

The whole You-owe-me-sex garbage has nothing to do with sex. It’s a symptom of the last caste system too many people believe in, because they think it’s real. The male-female caste system.

Having sex is just a marker of caste in that world view. Men who have it get their man cards endorsed.

It’s got nothing to do with desire or sex or any of that. If it did, they’d just masturbate.

No, they’re furious that the servant class is not giving them their due. That lowers their man card status. How dare the scum not bow and scrape and serve?! That’s also why prostitution isn’t good enough. It’s like DonnieTwo Scoops, not at all mortified anybody knows about his revolting sex life. But he’s frantic for everybody to know he doesn’t have to *pay* for it.

The usefulness of understanding the motivations of the murderers is we could stop worrying about how much sex these guys are having. (And, as Hadley Freeman pointed out, we could stop using their frame for themselves and not call them “incels.” They’re womanhaters. That’s all.) They don’t want sex. They want status.

The entirety of their desperation to stick penises into things (yes, things…) is a desperation for status. The actual fucking is incidental, it’s just a marker.

And the actionable part is you don’t fix zomg-I’m-a-loser! the same way you might try to help someone learn how to navigate female – male relationships more attractively and kindly.

4. RonStill4Hills says:

Make our planet great again? Hmmm, I am think I like Macron less and less.

I think he’s using that to lampoon Trump, by saying that instead of isolationism we should work to get the Earth’s air and water and soil clean again. I recall him using that term a few months after Trump got into office, and the satire was pretty strong then. Can’t find the article from then right now, but here’s this:

Much of what he [Macron] said, although couched in stirring and global terms, posed a direct challenge to the Trump administration, and the U.S. president with whom he has said he has a special relationship.

Macron expressed his hope that the United States would reenter the Paris climate accord, which President Trump exited early in his administration.

“Some people think that securing current industries and their jobs is more urgent than transforming our economies to meet the challenge of global change,” he said. “I hear … but we must find a transition to a low carbon economy. What is the meaning of our life, really, if we work and live destroying the planet, while sacrificing the future of our children?”

But Macron began to lose the Republicans in the chamber when he spoke at length about the environment, criticizing those who prioritize short-term economic gains over the long-term health of the planet. Democrats were alone in cheering his efforts to balance economic and environmental concerns, while only a few moderate Republicans, such as Reps. Carlos Curbelo (Fla.) and Elise Stefanik (N.Y.), applauded his hope that the United States would rejoin the Paris agreement.

How Ronny L. Jackson found his VA nomination rapidly imperiled

…Brian McKeon, a former executive secretary and chief of staff of the National Security Council in the Obama administration, said in an interview that Jackson and other White House doctors would distribute Ambien freely if people requested it, but only in small doses, such as in an envelope with two or three pills.

His departure underscored how politicized the traditionally nonpartisan agency has become under Trump amid a polarizing debate over how much to outsource veterans’ medical care to private doctors.

The issue has pitted almost every traditional veterans group against Trump loyalists and a Koch brothers-backed group that advocates for private care.

“in an envelope with two or three pills” — and then another envelope, and another?

It’s also telling that only the Koch group and their ilk want to privatize VA care.

New NYT story, pretty shocking. He was writing prescriptions for himself for large amts of percocet

Probably was doing that for others as well. Hmmm, why did Trump like him so well? Besides the “great genes” BS. The bestest people, folks!

You’d never see Trump doing this! Not that Rep. Lewis would want to hug Trump (yuck) anyway.

Michael Cohen to invoke Fifth Amendment right in Stormy Daniels case

Michael Cohen, the longtime attorney of President Trump, told a federal judge on Wednesday that he will invoke his Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate himself in a lawsuit brought by adult entertainer Stormy Daniels.

Cohen’s declaration, in support of his request to pause proceedings in the civil case, cited an “ongoing criminal investigation by the FBI and U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.”