Sunday Power Sunday Reads

No, not really on fire…don’t have no fire…no power that is…

It snowed a shitload on Friday and Saturday here in Banjoville. So much so that we have been without power since Friday morning. I am quickly writing this post Saturday evening, and making this an open thread. Please post updates and news and whatever else tickles your fancy.

Have a brilliant Sunday Sky Dancers!

Advertisements

27 Comments on “Sunday Power Sunday Reads”

1. Joyce L. Arnold says:

Hope the power is back by now, or very soon.

2. RonStill4Hills says:

We are with you! I hope it doesn’t last too long but it will eventually end. Just hang in there.

3. quixote says:

You’re getting weird snow and we’re getting weird Santa Ana winds. I think I saw the Natl Weather Service say this is the longest run of those winds in this area ever. Usually it’s 2-3 days. This has been about 10. And last night it made the Thomas Fire blow back up into a monster, swallow the town of Carpinteria and now it’s on a straight path to Santa Barbara. 😯

I think your weather and ours are connected, too. Climate change -> jet stream veers wildly -> brings Canadian weather to middle of US and Northeast –> which also sets up a circulation that brings us Santa Anas.

On so many levels, we live in interesting times.

Makes me keep thinking of one of my favorite lines in a novel (by Lois M Bujold). Somebody is complaining about nothing happening and the old soldier says, “Boring is good.”

4. Sweet Sue says:

Someone help me with this, please. I keep hearing talking heads on TV say that the African-American community is just not excited or motivated by Doug Jones.
    Doug Jones prosecuted the still living KKK members responsible for the Birmingham bombing. What could be more motivating? I don’t understand.
    This is a sincere question.

• quixote says:

I’m not clued in enough to have an answer, but I keep thinking back to how “nobody” was “excited” about Hillary.

The media may well be so busy agonizing about why (why??) whites are voting for a let’s-bring-on-the-end-times, slavery-was-good, girl-molestor that they have no brain cells left over to talk to an actual black.

• quixote says:

Maybe the translation from media newspeak should be “this candidate is merely competent and has no entertainment value for *us*”. Possibly followed by “Waah.”

“merely competent” is similar to “overly prepared.”

Perhaps the MSM is too short-sighted (or non-creative) to realize they could indeed do good reporting on a competent candidate.

It’s on white people to decide this. If they are willing to vote for this garbage person, then they own him. The media needs to stop blaming black people. And how does the mostly white “media” even know how the black community in AL will vote anyway? I doubt if the polls are that accurate.

• Minkoff Minx says:

I was thinking the same thing BB. Spent days not listening to anything and then when we get our service up again, I have to turn it off because of the Bullshit that msnbc and cnn where spewing.

• Sweet Sue says:

I hope that’s right, quixote. I’m flummoxed.

• Fannie says:

The republicans are using the same playbook as Trump. It’s not always up to blacks to bail us out……..remember how many whites (women) voted for Trump. I think Doug Jones should have been “taking” it home to our people long before now, it’s like our elections are now chock full of Trump disease, no matter how much blabber is going on. It’s not a hard decision to make, but getting them to the polls is another story. Hope I am wrong.

• quixote says:

I keep wondering why the DNC isn’t using its mailing list to find volutneers to help voters register — everything from filling out and finding interminable forms to chauffering the carless as needed — and also chauffering the carless to vote. Like the old days when we took buses to Birmingham to support the locals in their marches. We could do it. It’s the organizing that’s difficult, but there ought to be a whole Party for that.

JJ, hope your power comes back on soonest!

6. quixote says:

Apparently there are people complaining that Obama isn’t campaigning for Jones. As everyone here knows, I’m no fan of Obama, but in this case I think it’s just elementary intelligence. He knows all he’d do is inflame enough of the racist vote to more than cancel out any good he could do.

That’s what also drives me nuts about the kid saying she’s not voting for Jones because he isn’t supporting a laundry list of BS points (universal health care, $15 min wage, etc). It sounds like she lives there, and yet has somehow no concept of how too many of her neighbors think? I can imagine no faster way to lose an election in AL than to make them dam librul ayleet coastal noises.

Of course it would be fantastic on the merits. If talking like that also means you get plunged into 1840 with a pedophile, maybe don’t talk like that? Christ on a gluten-free cracker.