Sunday Reads: Corruption Junction…What’s your Function?

Sitting on a hotel bed on Friday night, watching Maddow, I was introduced to this woman:

Sarah Chayes

Video of the interview is at this link:

Expert sees risk of corruption in Trump foreign government deals

This quote is from her book, Thieves of State:

Corruption, it made plain, was not solely a humanitarian affair, an issue touching on principles or values alone. It was a matter of national security—Afghan national security and, by extension, that of the United States. And if corruption was driving people to violent revolt in Afghanistan, it was probably doing likewise in other places. Acute government corruption may in fact lie at the root of some of the world’s most dangerous and disruptive security challenges—among them the spread of violent extremism. That basic fact, elusive to this day, is what this book seeks to demonstrate.

I wish I could imbed the whole first chapter, because it grabs you immediately.

Here are some links and pdf downloads to take a look at:

New York Times Book Review of Thieves of State

Leading corruption expert explains how Trump has created a ‘kleptocracy’ — and how it might be his undoing

This week Sarah wrote and filed an amicus brief, follow this link to read that brief that Maddow sites in the interview.

I hope that these links work, I’m doing this post on my phone in a hotel room in Helen GA.

This is an open thread.

Advertisements

32 Comments on “Sunday Reads: Corruption Junction…What’s your Function?”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

If this post is wonky, format wise, or if there are any linkage problems…I apologize. Lol

-JJ Walts Sent from my iPhone

Here’s something you can read if you get some wifi … neat pix!!

New York in the ’70s: The Photos
      An unfiltered and (mostly) unsentimental look at New York City’s grittier era.

• teele says:

Thanks for that link. That was the NYC I lived in for 5 years when I was in my early twenties. I remember the blackout, and lived through a garbage strike. “Son of Sam” was on the prowl during my time there. I saw cockroaches for the first time when I moved there, and for the last time when I moved back to the Midwest (4 months after being grabbed at gunpoint on the steps of a subway stop). And yet, despite the misery and filth I saw there, my strongest memory from that time is walking along Columbus Circle on a spring day and knowing with absolute certainty that I was in the center of the universe.

Thanks for posting, JJ! How are things with the house repair?

2. RonStill4Hills says:

I saw that segment on TRMS too. It was great. I think you are correct, it won’t be the racism, sexism or incompetence, Trump’s base loves the first two and will tolerate the third if they get to stick it to the libruls and fim’nists, but the shameless racketeering may actually matter to them.

Trump and his brood are so greedy and they think so little of other people that they cheat and steal in an especially ugly and unseemly way.

Plus, other politicos will ultimately not be able to stand the heat that Trump corruption brings.

Expert sees risk of corruption in Trump foreign government deals

Risk? It’s flagrant.

Here’s the latest from down here … the restaurant biz is the worst. Was the first time I was told if I wanted the hostess job I had to sleep with the manager.

• Delphyne49 says:

Not the least bit surprised. I used to watch his show, but got sick of his boy next door phony act – I felt that his talking about his boys and his own wholesomeness meant that he was exactly the opposite IRL.

Maybe he’ll change, but I’m sure it will be difficult for him – the restaurant culture is brutal for women.

Waitresses and hostesses get it from customers and bosses.

I hope this succeeds.

People who want to make it easier to prosecute cops who kill might get their way soon

For two years, police-reform groups have unsuccessfully tried to convince state lawmakers to make it easier to prosecute law enforcement officers who kill in the line of duty. Those reformers now might have something on their side to put their efforts over the top: Political leverage.

A group called De-Escalate Washington has decided to push its proposed changes as an initiative to the Legislature in 2018.

If the campaign hits its 260,000-signature target by the end of the year, it will bring a bill to the Capitol that would lower the state’s uniquely high bar for prosecuting officers who improperly use deadly force. Group leaders say the measure would increase police accountability.

6. RonStill4Hills says:

This year I will alter my normal charity list to include hurricane relief and the children of the Niger massacre. I can’t give a lot but I try to choose causes close to my heart.

I think it is important not to forget Sgt BryanBlack, Sgt Jeremiah Johnson and Sgt Dustin Wright.

I get annoyed at the coverage when they say “we shouldn’t be talking about this we should be talking about the four Gold Star heroes.”

That is only half right. We should be talking about the martyrs and why they had to die, but we need to face facts about a president who exploits fallen soldiers and smears public servants rather than admit a mistake.

Their is evident that reporters asked about the call to the widow because the WH tipped them about the call. Accusations of politicization are from the right is the pick pocket yelling Stop thief!

We let them change the subject at our peril. Even if the distraction is four worthy young men. We cannot let off the pressure on this monster. His reflex to destroy when challenged is a clear and present danger to the republic.

At this point in my life, I’m begging to think there is no bottom when it comes to negative human behavior …

• Catscatscats says:

Uh, is anyone still criticizing Hillary for calling half of his supporters “deplorable?” She clearly nailed it in one. I sure hope that this threat of violence to a Congresswoman warrants a visit from the FBI or at least someone really, really scary. I feel like we are in a time machine and the year is spinning backwards faster and faster. Someone make it stop, please!

• Sweet Sue says:

Will the Secret Service be paying Keevers a visit soon?

10. RonStill4Hills says:

Do you realize that we have had Trumps Watergate, Trumps Katrina and Trumps Benghazi all in the first year?

Good job forgotten voter.