Wednesday Reads: Doomed Worlds

Once again it is late at night, and I am in the dark quickly writing this post. Only this time I’m hanging out in the car, the woods are full of bears here in Vogel…and I don’t mean the same kind of bears that some dudes find attractive. I’m talking the real thing. Real 🐻.

Look at some cartoons:

This is an open thread. I hope everyone is ok…still waiting to hear from the insurance company. It really sucks.

37 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Doomed Worlds”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

I’m sure many of you saw the interview last night on Maddow with the mayor of San Juan. Did y’all pick up the thing she said about forget about the debt and think about the death? That really made me think that she must be hearing a bunch of shit from the assholes withholding the go ahead to let the help that was sent to actually start to do their jobs.
    It sounds like they got the People and the support but no one is allowed to do anything. Planning to plan is all they are doing at this point. Did any of you feel that way?

2. Sweet Sue says:

So sorry for all you’re going through, JJ. Is there any end in sight?

3. Enheduanna says:

Well here’s some more progress in the world:

Saudis will allow women to drive themselves. I hope this opens some floodgates over there.

5. Enheduanna says:

I couldn’t agree more – the part that really got me was that they’re doing it because it’s become a huge financial drain on the economy to hire drivers for them. So it’s not necessarily their right to drive – it’s the money that’s important.

From the article:
    “He also detailed the “economic costs” of women having to rely on private drivers or taxis, since public transit is not a viable alternative in the kingdom.

Using foreign drivers drains billions of dollars from the Saudi economy, Alwaleed said.”

• Enheduanna says:

oops I meant to put this up in the comments for the Saudi women driving article.

• quixote says:

I just read an interesting article pointing out that freedom of religion and the general idea of equal rights in Western Europe was implemented because it was cheaper. Not because of brilliant thinkers convincing anybody. Ideas are not enough. Koyama and Johnson

Briefly, their point is that gunpowder put rulers into an arms race. They needed much bigger armies, so much more money (taxes), and therefore much more and more sophisticated administration. With all that going on, it was simpler and therefore cheaper to treat everyone (more or less) equally instead of having one set of laws for Jews, another for Catholics, another for Huguenots, etc, etc.

I guess if people do the right thing for the wrong reason, it’s still the right thing!

Unforeseen consequences. So not so much the Enlightenment, but rather economics. So much that’s interesting comes out with historical analysis.

8. RonStill4Hills says:

Michigan Governor defends Police Chief who called NFL Plaers degenrates.

9. Fannie says:

It was John McCain who found out that the DHS never did receive a waiver in regards to the Jones Act!

File under: “I Can’t Believe I’m Seeing the Same Old Sexist Shit”

Front page of WaPo features obit for Hugh Hefner for his “visionary” work seeking to overturn “the puritanical moral code of Middle America.” Visionary? It was the same old exploitive sexism of insecure boys who want lots of sex for themselves and hate independent women.

• Enheduanna says:

Oh good grief – that sort of erases Steinem’s work about the Playboy Club and what it was like for bunnies back in the day.