Sunday Reads: R-E-S-P-E-C-T …Take a knee

The cartoon above was a good one…

There is a lot I would like to say, but without internet or cell service…it is difficult to get any thoughts or words of protest out there.

Hell, it is impossible to read the blog. So, since I’m writing this post blind…I hope that everyone is fine.

Here’s a few tweets to start the post,

I will end with this tweet, because it expresses exactly how I have felt about taking a knee from the very beginning …

It was never a question of disrespect. The players did not turn their backs on the flag. Ugh!

This is an open thread.

Advertisements

55 Comments on “Sunday Reads: R-E-S-P-E-C-T …Take a knee”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Still in the cabin at Vogel. The house is a disaster. There were more support beams that were compromised in the roof. So it is dangerous to stay there. I don’t know what is going on with all that.

tRump is a terribly dangerous person, he is going to get millions killed.

How awful. Yes, Trump is very dangerous. We have to get rid of him. He is on the way to starting a nuclear war. Don’t Repubs realize they are going to die with the rest of us?

• quixote says:

Oh Jeesus. Sounds like the whole house will need rebuilding, which, aside from everything else, takes time. How horrible. Hugs through cyberspace! And huge thanks for continuing to post under impossible conditions!

• Enheduanna says:

Good luck JJ – what a mess! If you are looking at months in the cabin, maybe you can figure out some remote wifi access solution? I’m probably the least techie person here but there may be some option if you google “remote access”?

That’s awful that your house is unsafe! I’m glad you and your family weren’t injured, but having one’s home crushed like that is awful. (Hugs) You have so much stamina, JJ. I can’t imagine how you managed to post this.

How is your puppy doing?

I think you should request a fema trailer.

• Fannie says:

Thinking of you and your family JJ. I was hoping they would speed things up because of your mother’s health!

• joanelle says:

Oh, JJ, so sorry for your current situation, holding you tightly in my heart.

2. quixote says:

A thread from the last post is sadly relevant here. Peg posted:

“I mean, you have Hillary [Clinton] who’s called black teens or black kids super-predators. You have Donald Trump who’s openly racist. I mean, we have a presidential candidate who’s deleted emails and done things illegally and is a presidential candidate. That doesn’t make sense to me, because if that was any other person, you’d be in prison. So what is this country really standing for?” Colin Kaepernick, Aug. 28, 2016 Washington Post

As Ron points out below that, Kaep’s courage in calling out police brutality and lethality is important.

But the thing is, all of us here feel that and say it. This intersectionality stuff goes both ways. (Otherwise it’s not too “inter,” is it?) He has to be able to see sexism and misogyny for what it is just as much as the awful bigotry that affects him more directly.

So I really want to hear that he’s realized what a dreadful thing that was to think, let alone say. Otherwise a big chunk of righteousness just falls off the whole knee-taking thing.

I’m so sick of this. “Superpredator” did not refer to black children when Hillary used it in 1996.

• quixote says:

Exactly. And the insistence on continuing to blame Hillary for an awful racist thing she didn’t even say feels, to me, very much sexist. Especially in light of all the other don’t-you-dare-put-a-toe-out-of-line nonsense thrown at her. We (meaning we humans, everybody) desperately need all bigotry to be recognized and rejected, not only a particular bigotry.

Yes, and as Ron pointed out in yesterday’s thread, unfortunately a lot of black youth aren’t familiar with the actual history of that superpredator comment. Which of course is just like many young people in general and their lack of knowledge of what happened before they were born or when they were kids.

• Enheduanna says:

People are overly-eager to find fault with her and it’s absolutely sexist. They’re saying she told West Virginians she would “take their (coal) jobs away”….I mean come on – however that statement came out that is obviously not true.

• RonStill4Hills says:

All you can do is correct the record. Never
        let the lie stand unchallenged. Even if it is only to say ‘”That not true.” Whether it is super predator or the West Virginia thing. Half truths and mischaracterization are enough for a lot of people but they crumble in the face of the truth. Silence is our enemy.

Some people are so desperate to KNOW something that others don’t know, that they are willing perpetuate a lie if it makes them seem like the most radical or the most profressive on the block. But to me it is still just a lie.

• Fannie says:

Me too BB. I keep telling people she wasn’t holding office. And we had some real bad superpredators that were serial killers such as Juan Corona, Zodia Killer, Ted Bundy, Charles Mason, John Wayne Gacy, Henry L. Lucas, Boston Strangler, Jeffrey Dahmner, Jim Jones, and on and on.

• Sweet Sue says:

Amen.

3. RonStill4Hills says:

Hostility towards the perceived enemies of the Alt-Right’s constituencies is Trump’s primary currency and he spends it liberally.

I posted this on the previous thread, but it’s too important not to repeat. Trump is deliberately getting people killed with his immigration policies.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

• Fannie says:

Trump supporters fail to realize that the American dream machine was not dismantled by immigrants. Trump is so damn full of shitt, he mock Hispanics all the time. And blacks, and women, and disabled. He is a mean spirited school yard bully.

• joanelle says:

Yes he is, Fannie, and also a hate monger at best. I am totally repulsed by the very sight of him. And, yes the Republicans need to wake up to the fact that, as that old song states, “we’ll all go together when we go.”
        I just keep having flashbacks of the last scene in The Planet of the Apes, when Charton Heston realizes that “they” actually pulled the trigger on the nuclear solution and had landed on planet earth all along after years in outer space.

I decided to watch the beginning of the Patriots game to see what the players would do during the national anthem. Many took a knee and the rest linked arms. I’m still angry with Bob Kraft, but I’m glad he made a strong statement against Trump’s hate yesterday. The announcers highlighted Kraft’s comments and read them aloud after the anthem.

• Pat Johnson says:

I’d bet money on the fact that Trump has no idea what these athletes are protesting.

He just opens his big mouth and let’s all the hate and bigotry float out with zero interest in the consequences.

He again has put lives at risk as there will be those nut jobs attending these games looking to issue some muddled statement regardingt “free speech”.

This is our POTUS looking like the ignoramus we know him to be. Come on, Mueller, speed it up!

• Enheduanna says:

I have the morning talk shows on and I think I just heard someone push back against these protests against police violence toward black lives with the observation that most blacks are killed by other blacks. Whew – where do you start with that kind of thinking? You cannot reason with white supremacists.

No, there is no reasoning with them. And even if that claim was true, we should still be outraged at the loss of life.

• Enheduanna says:

Exactly – what does one have to do with the other? Is that supposed to be a justification for shooting unarmed black people at traffic stops?

• quixote says:

Plus, if I’ve understood it right, a significant point is that it’s POLICE killing black men and women. They’re abusing state power, committing crimes of state!, which is a whole nother level of crime than mere murder. What murderers are doing is totally irrelevant to how the law should behave.

Interestingly, the custom of standing during the anthem didn’t arise until 1893.

I had to check Wikipedia since I wanted to look at the wording of the rest of the stanzas. They are written in the florid and complex wording of the time which was usual for these sorts of songs. It seems that “the hireling and slave” refers to the British, who gang-pressed British men off the streets and forced them to serve in their military. It’s much less clear what’s meant by “freemen shall stand,” though “freemen” in those and earlier centuries referred to men who were not bondsmen or in other ways indentured for life or a period of time to their overlords (common in the medieval and even later eras in Britain). What cannot be denied is that at the time of the American Revolution nearly all black people on the continent were enslaved.

Frankly, I don’t see any need for the anthem to be played at sporting events in the first place. I guess that started in the 1930s.

Probably about the same time the move started to add “under God” to the pledge of allegiance.

Some one told me the US military pays them to do it.

• Fannie says:

Our country was founded on individual rights, and freedoms. It was founded on dissent, and we have a constitutional rights. We are not a government for and by a dictator. Trump is wrong, and we should all go humble on our knees for what we have done to African Americans, Native Americans, and Hispanics. The violence has been endless. And these players are peaceful activists.

• RonStill4Hills says:

Were the link arms solidarity or opposition? Trump made it seem like he thought it was vindication of his comments? I did not see so I could not judge the character of what happened.

6. Sweet Sue says:

Hang in there, J J. Best of luck to you and your family.

Was browsing through my local newsblog and saw an ad for “complete women’s healthcare” by a Catholic healthcare organization. “Complete,” really? How can they claim “complete” care when they don’t prescribe contraception or provide abortions? Can they be sued for false advertising, I wonder?

• Enheduanna says:

I guess the Catholic church has fully embraced truthiness. Any pregnant woman trusting her life to Catholic healthcare is risking losing it because she is No. 2 in that scenario.

lock him up!

11. RonStill4Hills says:

I googled Clinton Foundation, Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Relief because I would like to donate.

The first two pages of hits were all ALT-Right attack pieces on Hillary, Bill, Chelsea and the Criminal Enterprise known as the Clinton Foundation.

I do not know exactly how Google is manipulated but that is a DAMNED SHAME!

All I want to do is help AMERICAN CITIZENS CAUGHT in a natural disaster, but I have to sift through that raw sewage first.

Drain the GODDAMNED online swamp why don’t you!