Wednesday Reads: Madman and Rocket Man

Hey, I don’t usually like or retweet David Corn…but those two tweets above made me laugh out loud.

Going straight to cartoons, since I’m writing this outside in a very dark and dangerous state park that is surrounded by national forest.

#GeneralKelly reflects the feelings of most Americans. This was his reaction during Trump's speech at the #UnitedNations this morning.

A post shared by Shannon Fisher (@msshannonfisher) on

Day 243: In which GOP wins are measured by the millions that will lose their insurance. #magaisformorons #healthcareforall #notmypresident #TheDailyDon #dumptrump #dailydrawing

A post shared by The Daily Don (@the.daily.don) on

Please note that many of those cartoons are from the foreign press.

This is an open thread.

Advertisements

28 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Madman and Rocket Man”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

I hope those cartoon embeds are working. All I could post was Facebook. Being a hurricane “refugee” is a reL pain in the Ass.

• Enheduanna says:

JJ! Come on down out of the woods girl! hahahaha

I’m on IE11 and the David Corn tweets are over-large. I can’t link to him – but I’ll try Mother Jones later.

I really like the toon with Wonder Woman – they did a good job lampooning Betsy’s looks. I can’t stand her – she really raises my hackles.

2. RonStill4Hills says:

The talking heads seem to be in “normalization – high gear” today.

They are trying to say that Trump is abrasive stylistically, but his UN speech was basically “ok.”

Bulls#!t! The reality is that Kim has had nukes for years. We have known it, though we pretend not to. He has been trying to achieve the ability to “reach” the US which he may well have done.

A friend said to me that Trump cannot back down because Kim has been shooting nukes at us.

WTF?!?

No, all the “shooting” has been rhetorical. We now have to adopt new rhetoric. We cannot continue to state that we will not tolerate NK ever having what NK clearly already has.

The best we can do is to get them to join the nuclear “Mexican Standoff” that we have with every other nuclear power. You know like in the movies where everyone if pointing their guns at every one else? We won’t shoot if you don’t shoot?

Obliterating NK and losing big chunks of SK in the process CANNOT be the objective! That is insane.

BTW – “Racket Man” is PRICELESS!

3. roofingbird says:

These are great! Don’t stay there, in a “dark and dangerous place”.

4. Enheduanna says:

Melissa has Hillary’s appearance on Colbert’s show last night – which I totally missed (ARGH!):

5. quixote says:

Yikes, JJ. With everything going on you manage to get a great post published from a park bench somewhere! Me? Well, all I’ve got is huge thanks for the post and the cartoons. I *love* the Wednesday cartoons.

But remember, if I’m ashamed of myself for not having my act together it’s all your fault!

6. Sweet Sue says:

I have an embarrassing problem and I don’t where else to turn. I’m soon to be sixty seven and am so inept at the computer. All the writers/bloggers are so smart, here, and humbly I ask if BB or Dak or another commenter could have pity on me and explain (in the simplest terms) how to embed a YouTube video into my comments. Also please, how to make a hyper link, so when someone-quite rightfully-asks for the original source I can provide it. I know it’s a real imposition but I’m frustrated to the point of tears. Thanks for listening, friends.

• quixote says:

embedding an ordinary link is simple:

your text of important stuff which is based on the work of <a href=”http://whatever/the/link/is”>Bertrand Russell</a>

The “Bertrand Russell” part is what will appear as a link in the sentence. The “http-etc-etc-etc” part is the URL which is what appears in the address or location bar of your browser. Usually you can copy and paste that into the right place.

(I’ll post this hoping that the / front slashes and ” quotes show up properly. They’re essential :))

Embedding youtube links can depend on where you’re doing it, eg WordPress in Skydancing’s case, so one of our resident experts can tell you that better than I can.

• quixote says:

(by the way, Sue, I’m in the same cohort as you. The only difference is I’ve been around computers since 1978. There’s nothing magic about this stuff. We all learned by having somebody explain it at some point!)

• Sweet Sue says:

Thanks quixote. I’ll show that to my husband and have him walk me through it. I really am hopeless about it all. I can grasp the loftiest Philosophical concept but when it comes to this stuff, I’m Stupid.

I’ve got you beat, Quixote. I’ve been working around computers since 1965! That was when the computer took up a whole room.

Sue, I do my hyperlinks using the WordPress edit function. I’d be glad to fix yours too if I see them. Just post a regular link and I’ll edit it when I see it.

• quixote says:

Oh lordy. I started right at the tail end of punch cards (I guess that would have been around 1975?) for some statistical analysis. If I let myself think about it, I’d still have nightmares about Job Control Language. Just *hated* that stuff.

1978 is when I fell in love. There was a small Unix computer (it was only the size of a steamer trunk!). You could use vi to write! Typos just meant a mere backspace instead of minutes with whiteout and retyping. Since I’m one of those people who’d get about two words to the typo that was a massive deal. You could run programs to do statistics instead of feeding that braindead JCL its instructions one punch card at a time. Good times. 😀

In the late ’60s I worked on a thing called the “Dura Machine.” It was an IBM Selectric that you typed on and it made punches in paper tape for the computer. You could backspace over mistakes and make corrections with insertions, etc. It was an early word processor.

Look at this ad. It says, “Your girl types…”

• Sweet Sue says:

Thanks, BB!

You just post the link and the You Tube video will appear in the comment.

7. Sweet Sue says:

I didn’t ask you, JJ, because you have enough on your plate for sure.

Great post, JJ! I’d say more but have a migraine getting worse.

Sue — On YouTube, click on “Share” below vid. Then see pop-up box w/URL. Also make sure box with “Start at ### sec” is on “0” or whatever # sec into the vid that you want, and then copy URL and paste into comment box here. If this doesn’t make sense, I’ll try again in evening or later after migraine goes down/away. & don’t feel stupid — nothing to do with age, simply with getting right training/instructions for type of software & version. This is for Safari or Firefox on Mac.

• Sweet Sue says:

Thanks, Luna. the Share button is as gray as my hair and doesn’t respond.
      Feel better, migraines are the worst.

9. Enheduanna says:

Neener neener! I bet they keep this from tRump:

hahahaha – to be honest they are talking about his latest garbage release, but she’s likely to surpass Art of the Deal in just a week or two.

10. palhart says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I don’t know when I’ve had so much fun with 2 letters and the caps lock key!

And trumpeter don’t even think about totally destroying the world in response to your feeble book sales and appalling ignorance. Just resign, take your whole administration with you, and don’t let the door kick you in your fat arse, or do let it.

(My NOOK copy is in the numbers, hurray!)