Wednesday Reads: Irma the Sweet

HURRICANE IRMA  : 11am update

When I used to hear the name Irma, I would immediately think of Irma la Dulce.

Not anymore.

There is an Irma spinning her wheel out there in the Caribbean now…and she is anything but sweet.

Then you have some asshole spreading this kind of shit all over his radio show:

At least most of the people in Florida are not paying attention to Limbaugh:

With all these disasters, and I am including tRump in that mix, I think we all should be given our own escape pod:

Now the Cartoons:

DACA: 09/06/2017 Cartoon by Deb Milbrath

Cartoon by Deb Milbrath - DACA

09/06/2017 Cartoon by David Horsey

Cartoon by David Horsey -

09/04/2017 Cartoon by David Horsey

Cartoon by David Horsey -

Hurricane Dance: 09/06/2017 Cartoon by J.D. Crowe

Cartoon by J.D. Crowe - Hurricane Dance

09/06/2017 Cartoon by MStreeter

Cartoon by MStreeter -

Come on…we all know tRump has NO heart!

This is an open thread.

Advertisements

29 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Irma the Sweet”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Hope everyone is staying dry…I had some links about old movies, like Gone With The Wind, and how to treat them in the present day. And another about a “cleaning” done on a Black Madonna statue in an old church in Europe, which now the black madonna is no longer black…the uproar it is causing. And a few other stories in that same vein….but I will post them on Sunday.

• Enheduanna says:

JJ – hope you and your family are well. Between DACA and IRMA the cartoonists have a lot of material.

I am super pissed about DACA. My neighborhood has a lot of Hispanic immigrants. My Mexican neighbor’s kids were all born here thank goodness. They were/are actually better-behaved than the white-Anglo kids around here. I think because of tighter core family relationships.

The GWTW and Black Madonna stories sound fascinating and I look forward to the links. Being from ATL I’ve been steeped in reverence for GWTW lore of course. I even saw it at the old Loew’s theater in downtown ATL (not the premier – I’m not that old – lol).

Lots of old movies are shocking now. I think it’s good in a way for us to see it, and I notice TCM doesn’t try to censor anything. OTOH I can’t imagine how painful and stinging it is to see yourself stereotyped in such demeaning ways.

• quixote says:

Um, not to be rude or anything, but, if you’re female, you know how it is to see yourself stereotyped in demeaning ways … and to have it so accepted that (some of it) even you barely notice.

That’s how it was then, too. It such a flood, it’s just “the world.” It’s corrosive and it slowly kills you, just like the taken-for-granted crap we have now. You don’t have to be conscious of it for that. I’d say it hurts less when you don’t see it, but it kills you more.

• Enheduanna says:

Oh I completely agree quixote – but I will say the way Asians and African Americans are portrayed in early 20th century films can be particularly egregious. At least with white women the portrayals were balanced a little with canny women portrayals in some movies.

• palhart says:

Some years ago while touring Spain, high on my list was the Black Madonna of Montserrat (Our Lady of Montserrat, Virgin of Montserrat). She sits on a golden throne with the child on her lap. Tourists or pilgrims walk up a series up steps to view her more closely. My interest originated in my Jungian study of these Black Madonnas as Archetypal Earth Mothers and in my interest in pre-Christian goddess/madonna icons representing feminine power before Christian/religious males ditched the matriarchy. (Or attempted to do so).

Do include them in your next post.

Hope it’s leveled.

• Enheduanna says:

Could this be the wrath of Gawd? Calling Pat Robertson and Jim Bakker!

• palhart says:

More likely the wrath of Mother Earth who’s had enough of the pollution of water and air, and the corporate earth destroyers for outlandish profits and little men’s “test” bombs and intercontinental missile threats. You must not tamper with Mother Nature, but fools, climate change deniers, have, making more hurricanes devastating. It’s probably time for a 1789 French-type revolution (with better results) of the rising up of the people, who. have. had. enough!

Some good news!

Just bought my ticket to hear Hillary Dec 11th! Tickets were going fast….I kept dithering trying to figure out the seating and then the available seats kept going further back 😦 Also looked like VIP seating went in a flash.

We’re having a big storm in MA today. I don’t know if this is still Harvey leftovers or what.

As if being flooded out of your home and having all your possessions damaged isn’t bad enough:

‘We don’t have anything’: landlords demand rent on flooded Houston homes

An acute housing crisis is starting to grip thousands of other families in south-east Texas as the floodwaters ebb away, with a death toll put at 60 on Monday. More than 180,000 houses in the Houston area have been badly damaged, with only a fraction of occupants owning any flood insurance. And under Texas law, rent must still be paid on damaged dwellings, unless they are deemed completely uninhabitable.

• quixote says:

Is “completely uninhabitable” defined anywhere? I mean, I’ve heard of people who think the White House (have you seen the White House?) is a dump.

8. cheekos says:

Greetings from South Florida–just west of Ft. Lauderdale, 8-to-10 from the beach, and 30 mi. north of Miami!

Rush Lumbug????? Wasn’t he that druggies, who used to jet down to Latin America, seeking way too-young girls, and and paying a bunch, just not prove that he was a Man’s Mannequin? Had’t heard about him in ages. Who the Hell cares what he thinks?

People are stocking-up, some are starting to put shutters or plywood up, and of course watching the Weather Reports. I prefer to check the National Hurricane Center reports on-line, from West Miami-Dade.

There is a cute weather story–believe it or not–about the scientific ignorance of the Republican Party. And, that was even before Donald Trump! About four years ago, one of the many brain-dead GOP Congressmen questioned why the government spends so much money on the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Agency. He suggested that it would be much cheaper to just get it from The Weather Channel! DUHHHH!!!

Come down to Sunny South Florida…if its the last thing you do!

10. Fannie says:

Thanks JJ……….not quite myself today…….but as I look over all the cartoons, I am having a flash back to my childhood. The Houston Cinema could be replaced with the old Coliseum Theatre in New Orleans. Where I would go and watch movies for 25 cents, and a pop. Those Telephone Poll Lines in Mitt Priggee’s cartoon, remind me of Hurricane Betsy…….soon after it was over I was wading out in water, as I looked down the street to the polls, I saw a man who had died, tied up to a telephone poll. I couldn’t believe my eyes, and you know the blue in the cartoon reminds me of the blue crabs……….that is why I was out wading, to pick up crabs for our dinner. My mom had filled the tub with water, and she had a wood stove, in which those crabs were going to go. I always get the hurricane blues this time of year.

• Sweet Sue says:

Hugs to you, Fannie.
      My first hurricane-I think I was six-was Hazel. I remember looking out of the picture window of my parents’ apartment and seeing a big tree across the street split in two as the power went out. Nothing compared to what you experienced but we never forget.
      God bless everyone in peril.