Sunday Reads: Good Luck

Images from Texas are disturbing…keep in mind that many of the tweets below are a few hours old.

From what I understand, the folks in that picture above have been rescued.

Take a few minutes and read some of the responses to this tweet:

The latest news:

Live coverage: Hurricane Harvey continues to batter Texas

Houston weather coverage: Houston Weather (@abc13weather) | Twitter

3,000 guard troops called up as ‘catastrophic’ Harvey causes deadly floods in Texas – The Washington Post

But back to more flood images and videos:

I realize this is practically all twitter links, and I did leave out the news reports of protest and various “rally” things being held around the US today…please feel free to talk about it in the comments…I only wanted to focus on the devastation going on in Texas.

This is an open thread.

Advertisements

16 Comments on “Sunday Reads: Good Luck”

Thanks, JJ. This was very informative. The scenes from Houston on TV have been heartbreaking.

Of course it’s nearly all twitter links…the news media studios in the area are all under water. People can only get off brief tweets unless they’re in helicopters and then they’re probably helping with rescue till they run out of fuel. Can’t get more fuel near by because the pumps are underwater.

Horrible. And on top of all this the hurricane is forecast to come back again and hit the same area.

This must bring up PTSD in everyone who lived through Katrina.

Meanwhile POTUS* is worse than useless. Hillary would have had agencies preparing and focused acute resources on rescue. And she had detailed environmental and civil engineering and emergency response plans. She would be in a helicopter to see the damage herself, and probably be on the ground helping if her staff would let her do that for a while. She would have had plans for rebuilding, resettling people, and plans to mitigate situations like this in the future.

Damn Sanders. Damn Stein. Damn far-right sadists. Damn Russia. Damn the Electoral College and the Electors. And fuck the GOP cowards.

Story ends happily with Otis the dog back with his human. Apparently he got out, wandered around, found the bag and figured it’d be good to stock up right about now. Smart doggo!

5. Fannie says:

Thank you JJ. I am trying to hold on to some positive thoughts for families and friends in Houston. Being my birth city, well, they have always be near to me.

Just heard that Trump was releasing the ban on Military Equipment for Police Departments. No one is safe………not Texas, not Idaho.

6. Fannie says:

Dak, you remember me telling you about a cousin who died in nursing home during Katrina. The tears return, I guess they will always be there, wish I could lend a helping hand. But will try to donate to those in need.

I have so got Katrina PTSD right now. My heart just melts at the pictures. See you all tomorrow.

• Sweet Sue says:

I’m there with you, Dak. Watching families walking in waist deep water is awful.

I can’t even imagine what it’s like for you and other people who have lived through Katrina. My thoughts are with you.

8. joanelle says:

If we all sent tweets, emails, carrier pigeons with the message, PAY ATTENTION! People are dying, and you’re to blame if you continue to sit on your hands, to McConnell and Ryan. We need a president, FIRE TRUMP. Might it help?

• Enheduanna says:

tRump is just being his disgusting clueless self with the tweets. He will never be a leader.

He did, apparently, actually manage to pick a competent person to be head of FEMA. It must have been accidental but at least there is that.