Wednesday Reads: Butkus or Buttkiss? Hump Day Cartoons

Something tells me, that you will get a sense of where the title of this post is coming from…

…by the sample of these first few images and cartoons.

Oh…shit. I’m getting ahead of myself.

Let me post a few links, and then get to the cartoons.

Aw, fuck the links.

I wasn’t able to bring myself to watch the show yesterday. I think it is difficult for me to watch all this testimony going on, when I know the Senate is working behind those closed doors to kill my mother.

Here is a cartoon with commentary from Pat Bagley:

Innit the truth.

I can’t much wrap my head around anything else nowadays.

Here are the rest of today’s cartoons…I hope you enjoy them.

You will have to click on the link to see that one by Luckovich in full size.

And remember as you look at many of these cartoons, they are from the foreign press/political cartoonist.

And on that note…..This is an open thread.

Advertisements

79 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Butkus or Buttkiss? Hump Day Cartoons ”

1. roofingbird says:

Yeah. These are amazing! And my husband, too. Gonna watch the Sessions session now. Thanks for the link.

2. Enheduanna says:

JJ – I just howled when I scrolled down and saw the first one from Sacks at Minneapolis Tribune. If his stinking cabinet had any shame they’d be mortified by now but I doubt they are.

And that pup is adorable…

Happy Wednesday ya’ll.

• Fannie says:

Pup looks like my Opie…..and he’s a little devil. Loved all the cartoons, cheerleaders and all.

3. Sweet Sue says:

Maybe now we’ll get some gun control.

He represents the white flight district to the north and east and west of me and I’m not commenting on my feelings about him. I hope he recovers so his children have a father. No one should be shot. Not even some one who advocate for Wild West treatment of guns should be shot even though it feels karmic. Maybe at least he can sympathize a bit more even though I doubt it changes his A+ NRA rating.

• gregoryp says:

I have mixed feelings on your statement. You are absolutely correct. Violence is abhorrent. Yet we somehow believe those who promote violence, divisiveness, hatred and religious bigotry should be spared. I am not sure. We had a coup in this country and the ultra wealthy are responsible. This feels like an opening salvo to me. It is what our future most certainly appears to be. Repression, oppression and then retaliation. The billionaire class did a major over reach and they’ll suffer the consequences in the end. This is just the beginning in my opinion.

• Enheduanna says:

Ha! Love that tweet!

She sure had Sessions steaming and Burr obviously is intimidated by her.

It seems to me since McTurtle reprimanded Warren for persisting, and got blow-back from that, GOPer men are waging a petty campaign of sex-bating on their female Democratic colleagues. They make a point to say “hysterical” and to interrupt. I think it is to deliberately goad us and dog whistle to their base.

6. Sweet Sue says:

These Congressmen talking about how terrible and shocking the shooting was make me want to scream.
    How do they think all those tiny, little kids in Connecticut felt.
    Do Republicans ever even think about what those children-those who died and those who survived-went through??

7. Minkoff Minx says:

Geez, I wrote this post last night, because I had to take pug to a vet appointment early this morning. From what I could tell, via the Fox News that was on tv at vet office…shooting at DC. Congress majority whip shot. Suspect looks like a white dude. The Fox News would not actually come out and describe him as such. They just showed pictures of man on stretcher and said this is suspect. Then proceeded to give age weight etc. but did not say he was white.

Bernie finally condemns one of his disgusting supporters.

Sanders condemns shooting by gunman who volunteered for his campaign

Fabulous cartoons, JJ! I’m not surprised that many are from European sources.

• Sweet Sue says:

You go sister. He was going to kill her cubs.

Yes, I almost wrote “He was probably going to kill her cubs in attempt to force the lioness into early estrus and then mate,” because that’s what they do. Wonder Lioness was having none of that!

11. Enheduanna says:

Good grief – just another day in Murica:

2 are dead. These workplace shootings are often about domestic issues as well.

12. Enheduanna says:

Isn’t today Dump’s birthday?

I think that “Shot by another American” will be higher this year.

A 95-year-old man in Fort Worth, TX, was sleeping on his porch because his air conditioner was broken, and it was unbearably hot inside his home.

He couldn’t afford to buy new or get the old ones fixed. He did the only thing he knew to do.

He called 911.

The two responding officers checked things out and concluded that this was a true emergency. This was Texas, in June, the temperatures were brushing up against 90, and Julius Hatley was truly in trouble.

“His main AC unit was out, his central unit was out and his window units were also out,” Officer William Margolis said.

He and his partner took an oath to protect and serve, and sometimes that means going the extra mile.

They went to Home Depot, chipped in $150 of their own money, and bought Julius some new window units.

When the folks at Home Depot heard the story, they did their part, too – managers and employees passed the hat and contributed another $150 toward the purchase.

The police department followed up, and sent a technician to see if anything else needed to be done.

Julius couldn’t thank them enough, and said he was sleeping “cool as a cucumber.”

Thanks to a couple of cops who did what they had to do for an elderly gentleman who had nowhere else to turn.

A Resolution Condemning White Supremacy Causes Chaos at the Southern Baptist Convention
    At its annual meeting, the evangelical denomination initially declined to consider a statement of its opposition to the alt-right.

• gregoryp says:

I just don’t see how they can reconcile their White Supremacy ways with either Biblical teachings or Jesus’ teachings. They are virtually polar opposites. Same with the Libertarian Christian whack jobs. They don’t make any sense.

Agree. They seem to conveniently forget about the “Love Thy Neighbor,” help the poor and the sick, “As you do unto the least of these, so you do to Me,” and “turn the other cheek,” which I still remember from when I went to Xian Sunday School as a kid.

17. Minkoff Minx says:

I haven’t watched Handmaids for the last few weeks. It has sort of lost it for me.

But check this out:

All I see is blank space in both of your comments. Are they links or pics?

• Minkoff Minx says:

Shit. One was a link to the BBC report on the fire that has killed some people.

The other was a link to another mass shooting in San Francisco.

• quixote says:

JJ, links done via social media, especially facebook, often don’t show up in browsers with protections set against scripts, viruses, etc. The links actually go via facebook, if you look at the url, so there’s an added layer of complication for the browser there.

I use Firefox with NoScript and they didn’t show up for me either, but I have that all the time so I went looking a couple of layers down.

I use Chrome. I did know that.

I have Firefox, and also use Safari. It doesn’t show up in either. I have to go into WP moderator mode to look at the links posted.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Damn. I’m sorry, the reason I began using Facebook and twitter embeds for the cartoons post was because the sites that post these images are no longer allowing copy/paste on their websites. They won’t even let you save the image. I understand their point but it makes it difficult to share the cartoons with these guidelines in place. At least with the embeds, it helps get over those issues.

As for the other links I posted… I have to tell you, a combination of dealing with 3 day migraine aftermath and being mentally incapacitated to turn on my laptop, I was lazy and grabbing a link via Facebook or twitter is quick on my phone.

Geez, what new hell will we see today?

18. Minkoff Minx says:

Then there is this:

You won’t believe this moron that Trump nominated as a judge.

Trump picks right-wing blogger for a judgeship, his confirmation hearing was a complete train wreck.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Some more good news.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

• gregoryp says:

They really need to get off their asses by impeaching both Trump and Pence and making that absolute idiot Speaker of the House Paul Ryan President. Even he is an improvement over the clown show we have right now.

WaPo:

Special counsel is investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice, officials say

The special counsel overseeing the investigation into Russia’s role in the 2016 election is interviewing senior intelligence officials as part of a widening probe that now includes an examination of whether President Trump attempted to obstruct justice, officials said.

The move by Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III to investigate Trump’s own conduct marks a major turning point in the nearly year-old FBI investigation, which until recently focused on Russian meddling during the presidential campaign and on whether there was any coordination between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin. Investigators have also been looking for any evidence of possible financial crimes among Trump associates, officials said.

23. Sweet Sue says:

The sanctimonious, hypocritical Right is going to do everything it can to make us shut up and abandon protests.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Not surprised. Cruelty toward women, children, animals is part of their personality.

Another incident.