Sunday Reads: London….This is London

The above tweet found this morning….

I’m not in the mindset to come up with the words today. In fact, I doubt that my brain can wrap itself around any type of news that poured out of London late last night.

When I heard the sirens on the television, my parents were watching live coverage, I did not have to see the screen to know that some attack had taken place…and that the target was somewhere in Great Britain. You can tell by the sound of those sirens, distinctive bitches aren’t they?

Seven people have died after last night's terrorist attack in London Bridge and Borough Market and at least 48 people have been taken to hospital. Emergency services reacted quickly and report that the suspects were dead within eight minutes of the police receiving the phone call.

A post shared by The Guardian (@guardian) on

Reactions vary as expected:

(Incarcerate Deport Repeat? I think that phrase was already used on Veep already you fuckwad. )

Anyway, here’s some more reactions:

And then there is tRump:

** edited to add the screenshot of tRump latest tweets.

I used to think that I hated certain politicians. Yeah, we all hate Ted Cruz and Santorum. Geez…remember the good old days of Bush 1 and 2?

But…the hate I feel for tRump is so deep, it almost disturbs me. Maybe my defenses are so worn down from what I’ve been dealing with…my mom and the rest. I don’t know…it has become a struggle to look at a news feed or read anything that connects to the outside world.

Every day there is a new onslaught of bad shit. Like a blitz of bad news that keeps proving tRump and all his merry men need to go…but still nothing is happening. I thought the despondent feeling I suffered from during the campaign was something I would not feel again.

Foolishly I thought:  Hey, once the stories started to break…people would finally snap out of it.

I can’t understand how folks who used to be so anti-Russian and all “fuck the commies” has turned into the kind of Putin loving population they are today. (I’m not talking the GOP politicians who obviously have been blackmailed or are otherwise indebted to Russian interests. ) I’m taking about the kind of people in towns like Banjoville who put tRump in office.  These are the people who still think that fluoridation is a conspiracy.

Can someone explain it to me?

Is it as simple as the repurposed neo-Nazi slogan tRump uses…Make America Great Again?

aka

Make America White Again?

Take a look at twitter now, after this latest attack, and see how the people around the world are reacting to tRump’s first Tweet when the news about #LondonBridge broke.  That asshole’s words reflects on our country no matter what anyone says. People around the world are disgusted with tRump. They are disgusted with us too.

Putin is succeeding, the people who want to see the United States fail are also succeeding. Our standing in the world is falling dramatically.

I know this post is about London and I have managed to turn it around into a rant about tRump and how he has brought our nation down.  But there is a point to all this.

Last night, when I heard those sirens on the TV, and knew something “terroristic” had happened in England…it no longer surprised me. I did not feel anything. Not even a hint of concern. I have become desensitized to the violence.

This realization, while staring onto a screen with bright lights from ambulances and cop cars which caused the living room to dance in colors of red and blue, I felt nothing. So what…I felt nothing. And, what’s more…that I was indifferent, meant nothing at all.

This is an open thread. Post whatever you want. I do not have the capacity to care anymore. What good does it do anyway?

Advertisements

38 Comments on “Sunday Reads: London….This is London ”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

I’m sure there is other news worthy things going on today. I don’t know what they are though.

2. Minkoff Minx says:

3. Minkoff Minx says:

4. Minkoff Minx says:

And then tRump is off to golf again.

• Joanelle says:

Our fearless leader sounds as though he is in total panic mode. But then we knew that the job was way beyond his capabilities – if he was smart he would have taken one look at the job and said “No thanks, I’ve changed my mind,’ and turned it over to Hillz.

• Enheduanna says:

I hope the Iowans who support Steve King are very proud of themselves. I’d like to know if the threats are being investigated, too. Is she receiving any kind of support from law enforcement?

5. ANonOMouse says:

You’re in trauma overload JJ. I find myself feeling numb some days too. You have a lot on your plate and some days it’s more than our brains can handle. It’s called survival.

I believe we will see trump gone before the mid-term elections. I expect much of his cabinet, including Pence, will go with him. Many of them are knee deep in this. The Republican’s on the Hill are still trying to find a way to avoid the disaster that Trump leaving office would mean to mid-term elections and their economic agenda. I don’t believe they can so we have to keep doing what we’ve been doing. Speaking up, speaking out, FIGHT ON!

• Sweet Sue says:

Mouse, I’m amused that you and I as older women gave JJ completely contradictory advice!
      She’ll find her own way, of course. 🙂

• Enheduanna says:

I hope you are right Mouse, and he’s gone before mid-terms.

JJ – take heart. Local resistance is strong in most major cities and I suspect disillusioned GOPers will stay home in 2018.

As another “older woman,” I think both Mouse and Sue are right. We’re in outrage overload, there is only so much we can do, we should keep on keeping on, and take respite breaks in Nature, find beauty, turn off the TV & Twitter, take care of your health.

There’s a Sarah Kendzior quote which I can’t find right now but is something like this: “Be brave. Being brave is hard, and there will be times you can’t be brave. Then be kind.”

• Sweet Sue says:

That was beautiful, Luna. Too which I would only add “be kind to yourself.”

6. Sweet Sue says:

Wonderfully written, JJ, and I share your grief. You are more despairing because you are much younger than me and have children who are just starting their lives in the world.
    I don’t and have almost (now) a mordantly amused attitude toward Trump and the Trumpites.
    That is, of course, until I have to bend over and kiss my ass goodbye because the tiny fingered Turd blows us all up.
    My sister and I have a prescription for each other: Escape into beauty. Take nature walks, read the best books, plant yourself in front of TCM, or listen to classical music. In the old days, I would have said play board games with your kids but, now, I guess it’s Candy Crush or something.
    Of course, this supposes a fair amount of free time and you have very little to none, I know.
    I guess my presumptive point is to turn off the TV; even in Banjoville, the sirens will blare if Trump does something (even more) unthinkable.
    Be well. Your health comes first.

7. Pat Johnson says:

JJ, you are not alone in your despair. I too feel exactly the same because we do not see the end in sight as President Stupid unleashes his ignorance and arrogance upon the nation.

I keep asking where the GOP is as this horrible tale unfolds daily. Colluding with the Russians? Unimaginable. Ignoring conflicts of interests? Unbelievable. Ignorant tweets? No big deal. Undoing all the safety measures and programs to ensure a better life for the nation? No big deal.

An evil group of people have taken over our lives and we have no control over the outcome. We have lost trust and faith in our government to rectify this horror. Stupidity reigns supreme.

You are not alone.

9. Enheduanna says:

I’m wondering if the stupidity will finally take tRump & Co. down. How do you think voters will react to this?

Joy Reid talking about his yuge infrastructure plans. Not only does he want to privatize everything, including Air Traffic Control – he’s wants to open it all up for sale to foreign interests.

Seems like an under-reported story to me.

Yep. Selling out the country for parts.

To be fair, Canada has privatized their air traffic control. OTOH, that’s Canada. I have no faith that the US, especially in the Trump era, would be able to do such a good job. Just look at the housing standards in Kushner’s investment properties. No thank you.

Read somewhere that even most of the Repugs think it’s a bad idea. So much info flying by….will try to find that article and link it.

JJ, and everyone, try this for a short break:

And BTW, if you haven’t yet seen this and are on Twitter, they are ready with more intrusive ways to make money from your private info:

I keep reminding people about Europe and the UK in the 1970s because I was there every couple of years or so that decade. Every time I was in London there were car bomb threats from the IRA. They were profuse and relentless but I never, EVER heard any one blame all Catholics for it. I was cavity searched in Zurich at 16 by some gigantic Brunhilde who spent a lot of time going through all of my lipsticks because of what became known as the Years of Lead after a bombing at Mona Lisa Airport in Rome. A lot of bombings occurred because of Basque Separatists too although that happened after the last time I visited Spain. Again, I never heard ALL catholics blamed for the acts of any of these.

Of course London is used to bombings… the IRA, the blitz … all kinds of things …

they’re used to it …

• Enheduanna says:

I’ve been working in travel since 1982 and even in the 80s the bombings were hurting American tourism to Europe. In 1986, the Greek tourist board sponsored a few thousand travel agents on a six-day trip to Athens with side trips and I was lucky enough to grab a seat. The day before I flew to Athens a TWA jet was bombed flying from Rome to Athens. We flew into the domestic airport which was separate from the international one. So tragic.

The violence then scared Americans much more than Europeans.

15. quixote says:

JJ, partly it’s Make America White Again. The commies have vanished. The current Russian kleptocrats are no real threat to the current US kleptocrats, so it’s easy to do the whole Aryan Nation crap together.

But Make America Male Again is also a central thing. (Which acronyms out to MAMA. The irony.) Misogyny, male supremacy, patriarchy, whatever you want to call it, that’s what they want. They can’t stress it too much because they might lose too many of the people who clean up after them but it’s really important.

Notice how central all the sex stuff is to their agenda. Abortion, gays, transgender bathrooms. Controlling women requires controlling their sex lives which requires major uptightness about sex, and those are the hot buttons they push when they need to activate the base. Whether it’s in the US or Russia.

Walls to keep the brown people out. Churches to keep the women in.