Wednesday Reads: Violence Stupid, Cartoon Hump Day

It is a one two punch today….

Hey…the dude must have deserved it.  Some assholes are just asking for it!

From the Twitterverse…

Well…I’m not certain if that statement about tRump not reading the EO is completely true or not. (Cough and hack.) So take it for what it is.

And now for something equally repugnant.

I mean, that headline tweet is just scary as hell.

Let’s put that into perspective. Today is April 26th….and do you realize this is an anniversary of a huge nuclear disaster?

Photo by @GerdLudwig 31 years ago, on April 26, 1986 reactor #4 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant blew up. The radioactive fallout spread over thousands of square kilometers, driving more than a quarter of a million people permanently from their homes. It remains the worst nuclear accident to date. In 2011, the Ukrainian government legalized trips to the Chernobyl exclusion zone allowing it to become a disaster-tourism destination. The most riveting attraction for visitors is the ghost town of Pripyat: dolls are scattered in abandoned kindergartens, floors are rotting, paint is peeling from the walls, and gas masks litter-evacuated schools. Pripyat today bears less than honest witness to its abrupt abandonment as visitors have changed its landscape: first the scavengers, who stripped the rooms of valuables and now the tourists. With limited time in the zone, the visitors often alter the abandoned environment, making compositions to be photographed close-up by countless cameras and phones. The ever-falling chips of chalk from the ceilings have blanketed some of these “still-lifes,” often creating the illusion for the next visitors that this is how the evacuees hastily abandoned the scene. You can learn more about Chernobyl from my book and iPad app The Long Shadow of Chernobyl. @natgeocreative @thephotosociety #TheLongShadowOfChernobyl #Chernobyl #nuclear #environment #disaster #dolls #tourism

A post shared by National Geographic (@natgeo) on

Photo by @GerdLudwig. Chairs, children’s toys and gas masks offer a surrealist still life in an abandoned kindergarten classroom. After the Chernobyl nuclear accident, all useful items were taken; now tourism is leaving its own mark. Less and less do buildings bear witness to the hasty departure of their former residents; instead, there are signs of the visitors’ need to simplify the message. Most noticeably, dolls like this one, carefully arranged next to a gas mask, have become the standard motif. This photograph is part of my exhibition which just opened at Visa Pour l'Image in Perpignan. Photojournalists and photo enthusiasts gather annually in southern France for the world's premier international festival for photojournalism to view work from around the world in exhibitions across the city and dramatic evening open-air screenings. To see more and learn about the Chernobyl accident, my iPad app, "The Long Shadow of Chernobyl," was recently updated for iOS8: http://www.gerdludwig.com/2015/07/the-long-shadow-of-chernobyl-app-updated/ @natgeo @theimagereview @natgeocreative #chernobyl #ukraine #pripyat #doll #disaster #nuclear #toy #abandoned #gasmask #arrangement #tourism #exclusionzone #surreal #TheLongShadowofChernobyl #catastrophe #VisaPourlImage #Perpignan

A post shared by thephotosociety (@thephotosociety) on

Photo by @GerdLudwig, published in National Geographic Magazine's "The Nuclear Tourist." In 1986 reactor #4 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant blew up. The radioactive fallout spread over thousands of square kilometers, driving more than a quarter of a million people permanently from their homes. Trips to the Chernobyl exclusion zone were legalized by the Ukrainian government in 2011. Chernobyl has since become a disaster-tourism destination. The most riveting attraction for visitors is the ghost town of Pripyat: dolls are scattered in abandoned kindergartens, floors are rotting and paint is peeling from the walls. Three decades after the accident created chaos of apocalyptic magnitude, tourists and tour guides are creating a bewildering disturbance, posing dolls (and sometimes gas masks) in unsettling scenes. This photograph is part of my upcoming exhibition at Visa Pour l'Image in Perpignan, opening August 29. Photojournalists, and photo enthusiasts gather annually in southern France for the world's premier international festival for photojournalism to view work from around the world in exhibitions across the city and dramatic evening open-air screenings. To see more and learn about the Chernobyl accident, my iPad app, "The Long Shadow of Chernobyl," was recently updated for iOS8: http://www.gerdludwig.com/2015/07/the-long-shadow-of-chernobyl-app-updated/ @thephotosociety @theimagereview @natgeocreative #Chernobyl #Pripyat #Ukraine #abandoned #doll #toy #nuclear #disaster #fallout #tourism #TheLongShadowofChernobyl #catastrophe #VisaPourlImage #Perpignan

A post shared by National Geographic (@natgeo) on

Nuclear war is no where near the “China Syndrome” but looking at images of Chernobyl…it does remind one of the visual possibilities.

One more quick commentary link before we get to the cartoons:

Okay….I do believe that dickwad deserves a hand job.

Onwards and upwards.

And this is an open thread, post all the old Bullshit and new Bullshit you want below in the comments!

Advertisements

26 Comments on “Wednesday Reads: Violence Stupid, Cartoon Hump Day”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

I hope the format is alright. It has been a strange few days. The girl’s senior year is drawing to a close and time is running out. So many things to do.

My mom is doing ok, but this chemotherapy is a wired and weird trip.

I hope everyone is okay. I may not comment much but I do check in and talk to myself as I read everything on the blog.

Xoxoxoxo

Love you, JJ. I’m glad your mom is doing ok.

• Enheduanna says:

JJ – hope your Mom is feeling OK and her health improves quickly.

Thank you for the links – cannot believe GOPer congresscritters can be so low. If 2018 isn’t a blow-out for Dems then we are truly and well sunk.

• Fannie says:

Glad your Mom is doing good. Love the cartoons, got a hard laugh at a couple. And sharing some of them too.

More rain here, I’m tired of it.

Fabulous post, JJ! I just got my internet access back, and am really enjoying your post and links.

Good to hear your mom’s doing OK. Chemo is …. uh, frankly I thought it was hideous when I had to endure mine. Everyone’s metabolism is a bit different, and then there are so many different types of chemo, and doses, and timing. Hoping for all the best for your mom and you. Thinking of you.

I can’t believe that Republicans are once again claiming that big tax cuts on corporations will “pay for themselves.” And I’m not seeing any pushback in the media so far. Where are the Democrats?

• Enheduanna says:

There was a bit pf push back last night on MSNBC. I think it was 11th hour with Nicole Wallace guest-hosting (or was it Last Word)…anyway, the analyst, who was a woman, flatly stated a 15% corporate tax rate would not grow jobs. They’re already only paying 22% or so after loopholes are factored in.

Dems need to step up bigly. And using Bernie only exacerbates the problem because he goes out of his way to differentiate his views from the DNC and denigrate Democratic policies.

• Fannie says:

The only one out there, is the not so Democrat, BS

Oh, those cartoons are dark … like jet black dark …. whoa! But I do love them

4. ANonOMouse says:

Thanks JJ. Glad your mom is doing ok. Enjoyed the toons. Peace & Love.

I got a perfect score on this New England slang test. How about you, Pat and other MA folks?

Funny, I did too! 100%! Some of them I’d heard of, some I thought weren’t limited to New England, and the others I guessed at because of something about the phrasing and ruling out what didn’t make sense. One — can’t remember which — I frankly took a wild stab. I was back in Cambridge/Boston area for a few months when I was a kid — a parent was from there — but am not sure if that helped. Being widely read often helps in unusual ways.

Well, let’s watch the economy collapse … I wonder what he can do since it’s actually a bit of a law?

• jan says:

years ago it was the farmers who ran their farms as businesses that complained about estate taxes, that their sons couldn’t inherit without huge tax bills. I never understood why they didn’t give or ‘sell’ half or more to their sons so they would avoid those inheritance taxes. Also incorporating their farms might have been idea. There were articles about almost any person could incorporate themselves and avoid inheritance taxes. Also there are things such as trusts that can avoid some inheritance taxes. But the people who say they need relief never seem to mention these legal alternatives, and never seem to consult a lawyer. It is only the multi-millionaires and billionaires who are complaining. Don’t they know about lawyers???

This is good news:

New website offers US women help to perform their own abortions

Fearful that Donald Trump’s presidency poses a once-in-a-generation threat to US reproductive rights, an international advocacy group this week is unveiling what is sure to be a controversial response: a web portal dedicated to helping US women terminate their own pregnancies with abortion-inducing drugs they have obtained outside of a medical setting.

The project, launched by Women Help Women, is a nod to the fact that many US women may already be taking matters into their own hands as abortion options in this country contract.
        New Brunswick becomes first Canada province to offer free abortion pill

“Women in the US have been and are using the pills without good guidance,” said Susan Yanow, the US spokeswoman for the group, Women Help Women. “If a woman is anxious and has the pills in her hand, and doesn’t know what to do … we can help her understand what to do. We can help her understand what signs to look for, and what’s going on.” ….

Part of the inspiration, Yanow [spokeswoman for WHW] said, came from an article the Guardian US published in November. The story followed a young Texas woman who, unable to afford an abortion in the US, traveled to Mexico to purchase an abortion-inducing drug over the counter.

“There’s just so many questions,” the woman told the Guardian. “I would so much rather have a health professional help me in this and kind of guide me through it versus DIY.”

I think lots of people do know. But that doesn’t stop them — and especially the uninformed and/or greedy selfish rich people — from complaining.

This is good news:

New website offers US women help to perform their own abortions

New Brunswick becomes first Canada province to offer free abortion pill

• quixote says:

Good news indeed. Although the main good thing is technology has advanced to pills. Otherwise there would be an even stronger tang of the Bad Old Days before Roe v Wade, when people were organizing underground railroads to help women get to NYC for safe abortions.

(I should put it into a sig: How did we go back so far so fast?)