Sunday Reads: Cat’s Ass; Giraffe’s Ass

img_3732

Exact definition of the phrase, “You have a face that looks like a cat’s ass!”

Mona had this image above shared on her Facebook yesterday, I don’t know where she found it but isn’t it a beauty!

Ass. I’ve been looking at a lot of ass lately.

I think I’ve spent more time the last few days looking deeply into a giraffe’s ass than I have looked into any animal’s backside in my entire lifetime.

That is the live feed for the Animal Adventures Park in upstate New York, where their pregnant giraffe April has been in labor for the past 4 or 5 days…from the zoo’s facebook page:

So many people world wide have been tuning in to see April stand around and eat…especially those of us here in the US…I think it reflects the state of the tRump situation we are in; people are willing, no…preferring to flip to a live feed via YouTube and stay glued to their little phone screens for hours watching a giraffe’s ass to escape the disaster, chaos driven, hatefulness that is parading around as our current Administration. For April’s ass, yeah…I am using a cooch of an expecting giraffe here, has become the symbol of hope for America. The one pussy tRump wouldn’t be caught dead grabbing! Folks are embracing this emblem of Giraffa camelopardalis motherhood as a figurehead of a new Columbia for America. I’m not kidding…think about it.

April, a giraffe…a creature not native to America…but here she is…in labor, on live TV. Everyone is focused on her crotch. Giving birth completely controlled, however at the same time, giving hope as well. Is it the Handmaid’s Tale, honest animal conservation or Alex Haley’s Queen.

Yet, let us take it one step further….the giraffe’s name. April. She has to have one of the most generic of American girl names, something as close to “Fern” as one can get in terms of type-casting someone who would work at a dairy queen. (Movie quote from the film Baby Boom, when JC articulates the reason she could not give up the baby girl she inherited up for adoption.)

I just couldn’t hand her to a woman that calls her husband sir, it gave me the chills, her life flashed before my eyes and then suddenly I saw her with frosty pink lipstick wearing a dairy queen uniform.

This giraffe represents everyone!

Okay…now for some links. Because it is Sunday, and I am avoiding tRumpelforeskin as much as possible, the articles are obviously sans tRump. They will also be in dump format because I must make the rest of this post quick. On a side note, images are from women in Navy recruitment posters. My daughter…if everything goes as planned, will be swearing in on Tuesday. She is enlisting in the US Navy. I am very proud of her. I can’t believe I will be a Navy Mama. This is a huge step for her and I support her decision and think she is tough as hell to be joining the Navy.

img_3746The first few links are on the latest literary find:

Walt Whitman’s lost novel The Life and Adventures of Jack Engle found | Books | The Guardian

Lost Walt Whitman Novel Discovered By Grad Student : The Two-Way : NPR

Whitman’s Secret Novel

…some hotshot grad student has tracked down Life and Adventures of Jack Engle, a swashbuckling mystery novel by one Walt Whitman, who published it without credit in New York’s Sunday Dispatch circa 1852. The novel, as Jennifer Schuessler writes, boasts “antic twists, goofy names, and suddenly revealed conspiracies,” but it’s at its best when its hero loses the plot and pauses for some Leaves of Grass–style musing: img_3745Jack enters the cemetery at Trinity Church in Lower Manhattan, and the madcap plot grinds to a halt in favor of reveries about nature, immortality and the oneness of being that strikingly echo the imagery of Whitman’s great work. ‘Long, rank grass covered my face,’ says Jack, the first-person narrator. ‘Over me was the verdure, touched with brown, of trees nourished from the decay of the bodies of men.’ Jack wanders among those bodies of men, copying out the inscriptions of the tombstones of Alexander Hamilton, the War of 1812 hero Capt. James Lawrence (of ‘Don’t give up the ship!’ fame) and other lost lives. Then, he exits onto the streets, where ‘onward rolled the broad, bright current’—and quickly and rather indifferently wraps up his own story.”

img_3750In a Walt Whitman Novel, Lost for 165 Years, Clues to ‘Leaves of Grass’ – The New York Times

Readers who picked up The New York Times on March 13, 1852, might have seen a small advertisement on Page 3 for a serial tale set to begin the next day in a rival newspaper.

“A RICH REVELATION,” the ad began, teasing a rollicking story touching on “the Manners and Morals of Boarding Houses, some Scenes from Church History, Operations in Wall-st.,” and “graphic Sketches of Men and Women” (presented, fear not, with “explanations necessary to properly understand what it is all about”).

img_3744It was a less than tantalizing brew, perhaps. The story, which was never reviewed or reprinted, appears to have sunk like a stone.

But now comes another rich revelation: The anonymously published tale was nothing less than a complete novel by Walt Whitman.

The 36,000-word “Life and Adventures of Jack Engle,” which was discovered last summer by a graduate student, is being republished online on Monday by The Walt Whitman Quarterly Review and in book form by the University of Iowa Press. A quasi-Dickensian tale of an orphan’s adventures, it features a villainous lawyer, virtuous Quakers, glad-handing politicians, a sultry Spanish dancer and more than a few unlikely plot twists and jarring narrative shifts.

img_3737“This is Whitman’s take on the city mystery novel, a popular genre of the day that pitted the ‘upper 10 thousand’ — what we would call the 1 percent — against the lower million,” said David S. Reynolds, a Whitman expert at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York.

Here is the book online: Walt Whitman Quarterly Review | Vol 34 | No. 3

And here is the book for sale: Life and Adventures of Jack Engle | University of Iowa Press

Sticking with books…here is an interesting one, check out this review: A Railroad Runs Through a Tale of Two Kenyas – NYTimes.com

img_3735More stories for you this Sunday afternoon.

Where were all the women in the Stone Age?

Were there any women around in the Palaeolithic Era? If popular culture is any guide you’d think not. And even archaeology itself has a long way to go to address a deeply ingrained bias towards men.

It’s obvious that without Homo sapiens could hardly be here today. But our cultural imaginings of the Palaeolithic evoke images of ‘man the hunter’ or ‘man the tool maker’ because that’s how our evolution has largely been portrayed by scientists and artists (with a few notable exceptions).

img_3736Crouched Medieval Burials Found in Siberia – Archaeology Magazine

Countries the U.S. Lags Behind Regarding Transgender Rights | The Mary Sue

Depression Leading Cause Of Disability, More Likely To Affect Women, WHO Reports : HEALTH : Tech Times

How We Read Emotions Is Linked To How Our Eyes See: Study : HEALTH : Tech Times

img_3748Chaco dynasty in Pueblo Bonito: DNA evidence proves a maternal dynasty existed in North America 1,200 years ago — Quartz

An ancient North American dynasty ruling parts of the what is now the southwestern US 1,200 years ago used to only pass its power to elites born from powerful women, according to new DNA evidence.

In a paper published in the journal Nature Communications on Feb. 21., scientists reported work done on DNA material from buried skeletons discovered at Pueblo Bonito, an archaeological ruin in Chaco Canyon, in northern New Mexico. The building was one of the “great houses” of the Chaco society; its 650 rooms housed hundreds of Chacoans over a 330-year dynasty starting in 800 CE.

img_3752The complexity of the colossal architecture reflects how advanced the Chaco society—part of the larger Ancestral Puebloan civilization—was.

I hope you enjoy those reads…now just because I chose to avoid tRump does not mean you don’t have to avoid him in the comments. Post links to whatever you want, it is an open thread.

img_3749

Advertisements

19 Comments on “Sunday Reads: Cat’s Ass; Giraffe’s Ass”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Y’all have a good afternoon.

• ANonOMouse says:

I know you’re proud of your daughter, so am I. It’s a great adventure and imho a good career for a young woman. It will give her a new outlook on life and the world around us. She’ll learn a lot. Give her my best wishes.

Best wishes to Bebe! I hope you’ll keep us posted on her adventures. And I look forward to updates on April the giraffe.

2. janicen says:

Congratulations to your daughter, JJ. You must be so proud that she is taking such a courageous step. I wish her well. ❤

3. Fannie says:

Big smiles for you and your daughter. She’ll have her sisters and brothers, caring for her in ways she never thought of. And she will wear the Navy uniform well. Blue skies, a perfect back drop for her, she’ll be all over the world, and you will be there when she graduates, when she moves forward and up the ranks.

Congrats to Bebe and to you, JJ! May she have blue skies and blue seas wherever she goes!

Excellent article on the reclusive billionaire wingnut & his businesses helping to fund tRump and propaganda. Cambridge Analytica worked for the tRump campaign after pro bono work for Brexit.

Cambridge Analytica had worked for them, he said. It had taught them how to build profiles, how to target people and how to scoop up masses of data from people’s Facebook profiles. A video on YouTube shows one of Cambridge Analytica’s and SCL’s employees, Brittany Kaiser, sitting on the panel at Leave.EU’s launch event.

Facebook was the key to the entire campaign, Wigmore explained. A Facebook ‘like’, he said, was their most “potent weapon”. “Because using artificial intelligence, as we did, tells you all sorts of things about that individual and how to convince them with what sort of advert. And you knew there would also be other people in their network who liked what they liked, so you could spread. And then you follow them. The computer never stops learning and it never stops monitoring.”

It sounds creepy, I say.

“It is creepy! It’s really creepy! It’s why I’m not on Facebook! I tried it on myself to see what information it had on me and I was like, ‘Oh my God!’ What’s scary is that my kids had put things on Instagram and it picked that up. It knew where my kids went to school.”

They hadn’t “employed” Cambridge Analytica, he said. No money changed hands. “They were happy to help.

…although she quotes Bannon saying he had “cold researched facts” for that Clinton Cash propaganda piece without mention that the accusations lacked evidence other than Bannon’s say-so. But overall a good piece on use and abuse of social media info, and on the social media psy-ops warfare world we’re in.

• quixote says:

That article is a must-read! Also makes for incurable paranoia, because how do you cure it when it’s true? I think my reading from here on out is just going to be the Endless Screaming twitter feed on endless loop! Horrifying. And to think just one lunatic billionaire rising from the miasma of a Slashdot comment section (it’s full of libertarians unmoored to any reality) could raise such a hydra-headed monster. With a little help from a bunch of old KGB users and abusers.

I don’t see how we’re going to get a handle on any of this. It’s been allowed to grow too big to control. The time to start regulating would have been around 2000 at the latest, but the governments were all too busy slurping data themselves to want to draw attention to it.

“incurable paranoia”

Yes. I’m not on Facebook and there’s no way I will after reading that. But we should be teaching critical thinking skills from grade school on up. Flat-earthers would think it was a liberal Muslim plot, though.

All we can do is keep calling, marching, and take care of ourselves and each other.

• Catscatscats says:

Luna, this is an excellent, and terrifying, article and should be widely disseminated. Can you also post it at Uppity’s and Widdershins? I’m sure all their posters would appreciate it.

I was crying too:

WTF? I was reading because the question of striking as a privilege vs. responsible form of civic action/resistance is one I can see both sides of. I was following along with the authors’ reasoning until this:

Striking on International Women’s Day Is Not a Privilege

…reminds us not to center the experiences of upper-middle-class or bourgeois women: i.e., celebrating a Clinton victory…

which slaps at the evidence showing Hillary’s long history of working to root out racist and sexist policy and practice. Oy. That feeds the the divide-and-confuse mentality and drives apart people who need to unite.

• palhart says:

It’s a further deconstructing of feminism. Hillary supported a higher minimum wage, plus other policies to improve women’s lives. Back in the days of the attempt to pass the ERA, a young woman told me that she had never needed it. My niece’s daughter plays soccer on a HS team and I’m sure never thinks that Title IX, decades ago, provided that opportunity for her daughter, who may be offered university athletic scholarships this spring. The fact that 53% of women voters cast a vote for Trump, and the lies Conway tells, (she wasn’t pro-abortion; neither am I, but I’m for women having a choice.) makes it open season for every kind of roll-back of women’s strides, and legislation, in equality, freedom, and protections under the law.

On the, somewhat, lighter side, I recall a brokerage firm, or financial planning business, fired a female employee because she wasn’t attractive enough. Her clients balked and demanded her reinstatement because she was excellent at her job, making them money. She was rehired.

Half of U.S. adults believe it should be required by law to take your husband’s last name.

What’s more, researcher Emily Shafer made even more startling discoveries than this during the course of her study. The most common reason participants gave for believing that a woman should change her last name is that she should prioritize her marriage and family ahead of herself. In particular, men with less education say this is a must and believe that a woman who does not take her husband’s last name is not as committed to their marriage. These same men also said that the husband would be more justified in filing for divorce if the wife works too much, by the way.

Slap me with a brick. It’ll hurt less.

• palhart says:

I’m beginning to wonder if these types of posts are real or planted.

A wife changing her name is a custom, not something to be decided by a bunch of white men. They need to shut up and continue their vacuuming.