Sunday Safety Pin Post

Good Morning

Nothing I can say or write will make things any easier.

The Safety Pin Movement Comes To America | Crooks and Liars

The Safety Pin Movement Comes To America

People in the United States are now wearing safety pins in solidarity with those who might be denigrated or made afraid in a post-election America.

I reported on the post-Brexit safety pin movement back in June.

Only to share these cartoons with you.

Passing the baton!: 11/12/2016 Cartoon by Shreyas Navare

Cartoon by Shreyas Navare - Passing the baton!

Popular Vote: 11/12/2016 Cartoon by Adam Zyglis

11/11/2016 Cartoon by MStreeter

Cartoon by MStreeter -

11/11/2016 Cartoon by Bob Englehart

Cartoon by Bob Englehart -

11/11/2016 Cartoon by Phil Hands

Cartoon by Phil Hands -

Rudy Giuliani, Ben Carson, Chris Christie, and the KKK apply for positions in the Trump Administrati: 11/11/2016 Cartoon by Kate Salley Palmer

Cartoon by Kate Salley Palmer - Rudy Giuliani, Ben Carson, Chris Christie, and the KKK apply for positions in the Trump Administrati

Life!: 11/11/2016 Cartoon by Shreyas Navare

Cartoon by Shreyas Navare - Life!

Coming Together: 11/10/2016 Cartoon by Paul Fell

Cartoon by Paul Fell - Coming Together

11/10/2016 Cartoon by Kevin Siers

Cartoon by Kevin Siers -

Florida AG Pam Bondi Joins Trump Transition Team

This is an open thread.

Advertisements

43 Comments on “Sunday Safety Pin Post”

1. Enheduanna says:

I’m sure the FBI will get to the bottom of Pam Bondi’s motivation for dropping the Trump U case……oh wait.

Just like the FBI will look into the connections with foreign nationals that new Federal employees have to declare or face perjury. Uh-huh.

2. Delphyne49 says:

Today, I Joined the Resistance
    Posted on November 12, 2016 by Theodora Goss

Today, I stood under the blue arc of the sky
    and said, all these people passing by
    are my sisters, my brothers.
    The children playing in the parks,
    running after balls
    or swinging, legs stretched out,
    up and down and back up again,
    laughing for no reason,
    are my children.

The Earth is my home, and nothing in it
    is strange to me, or a stranger.

I will become a teacher, a caretaker.
    The trees are my responsibility.
    The birds flying above or perching
    among the branches, gossiping in song,
    the fish slipping under lily pads
    through lakes shining in the sunlight,
    the wolves loping through forests,
    the otters tumbling in river shallows,
    all that lives are my family.
    Even the stones, that dream
    so slowly, and so long.

Today I decided that I will step lightly,
    speak out, defend the defenseless.
    I will live with a fierce joy,
    and when I am afraid,
    I will act anyway.

I will write a poem, plant a garden,
    seek the truth, speak to the powerful
    and say, not us, for we stand together,
    sisters and brothers, for each other,
    for the children, the trees, the otters,
    the quick silver fish.

We stand for love, for sorrow at your depredations,
    for righteous anger. Whether we are together
    or, of necessity, alone.

How do I want to be remembered?
    As one of those who gave in, gave up, collaborated
    with the evil inside and outside myself?

Or one of those who stood
    in the light and resisted? Who said
    I will not collude with the enemy,
    even when it is my own darkness?

Who was guided by love,
    which is not an emotion,
    but a decision?

Today, I joined the resistance
    because it was the only choice
    my heart could make
    and be whole.

3. Minkoff Minx says:

My aunt is going to protest tonight in st. Pete. Meanwhile, it is articles like this, it is disgusting…I can’t handle this.

Mr. Keelty: Fuck your “we” elected Trump. I’m white but not bed-sheet white. And Hillary won the majority vote.

And other F-U: Why do you think wearing a pin means we aren’t taking other action? Take your jumped-to conclusions and STFU.

• Ronald Wood says:

For people who wear the pin and that is all they can do, let them do it. People who are strong or brave enough to do more , let them do it. I think we should each do what we can, and maybe JUDGE a little less.

If all you can do is say, “Not me. I am not part of all this shit!”, thanks. One more friend. One less adversary.

4. contrask says:

“Nothing I can say or write will make things any easier.” So true. I finally have a description of the despair. I woke up this morning realizing that we essentially watched Hillary Clinton being raped on Nov. 8. And we were/are powerless to stop it or help her in any way. All of the details coming out now of popular vote in her favor and the voter suppression in several key states, etc. Yes, and now we are stuck with Donald Trump, a serial rapist. That’s why nothing will make it any easier. Not now, not in a few weeks. Maybe never.

• ANonOMouse says:

It will get better if we organize. That’s our hope for the future, especially younger women. Women can no longer rest upon the rights won for them 95 years ago or 40 years ago. They have to fight for their rights themselves.

@paulkrugman
    It seems to me — or maybe I’m just trying to coach myself — that what we need now is to hold three things in creative tension 1/

First, don’t lose the anger. A vile thing just happened, with the collusion of powerful people and institutions 2/

Second, however, don’t give up hope. Millions of people chose Trump, but even more voted for Clinton. Talk about silent majorities 2/

Third, while there’s hope, it will need patience. Don’t let the anger burn out when it’s not satisfied quickly; 3/

don’t give up hope when it takes far too long to turn this around. Strong feelings are needed, but so is careful realism. No surrender 4/

Paul Krugman ‏@paulkrugman 4h4 hours ago

Women Aren’t Responsible for Hillary Clinton’s Defeat

The media has created a misleading narrative in a rush to assign blame for the outcome of the election.

…The problem is that accusation is misleading at best and inaccurate at worst. To start, assertions that Clinton did not win over women voters are simply not true. A majority of women backed Clinton over Donald Trump, 54 percent to 42 percent. Exit-poll data indicates that 94 percent of black women and 68 percent of Hispanic women voted for Clinton. “If only women voted in this election [and no one else], Clinton would have won,” commented Kelly Dittmar, a scholar at the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University. “I think that this narrative about Clinton failing to win white women really overshadows the strong support she had among all women, and women of color in particular.”

7. jackyt says:

Okay… now I’m wearing a safety pin like my Fitbit… 24/7.

It would be wonderful if the Hillary Clinton campaign infrastructure morphed into a permanent campaign to identify and support women candidates for elected office at all levels of government. Many of those who worked so hard for Hillary these last two years undoubtedly learned the ropes of effective candidacy. Others learned the nuts and bolts of effective campaigning. One of the goals should be a growing Women’s Congressional Caucus made up of female representatives of all races, religions, ethnicities, preferences, abilities.

• ANonOMouse says:

We have Emily’s List which does that work, but I think it’s time to make a larger organization that encompasses all of the things that are important to women. NOW isn’t as effective as it once was and neither is Emily’s list. Perhaps a Trump presidency will wake up younger women to take up the fight. We can hope.

• I think the staff and volunteers of the Hillary campaign, across the country, are a goldmine of talent. It would be way too nervy to suggest that Hillary rise to the occasion after this devastating loss, but there may be someone else who could step in and harness the energy and talents of her extraordinary team.

For 18 months we have watched this demagogue with nary a workable policy to his name wage one of the most violent campaigns against us in our lifetimes, and seen his star rise because of it. Some of us were shocked Tuesday night, but we weren’t surprised. It takes a whole lot of privilege to be delusional enough to believe that America would not throw itself into the task of preserving its most valued institution.

Trump stoked racial hatred, but he didn’t invent it, so stop acting like he did because it makes you feel good. The irony of this whole thing is that Trump knew better than a lot of “good” white folks—even recognized as well as folks of color did—how much white power and supremacy means to white people. From day one, he bet that it would be enough to get him elected. He ran a brilliant campaign, in a country where a brilliant campaign can almost solely consist of telling white people they might not be on top forever. He called it. Credit where it’s due.

• Powerful and bang on!
      My one concern is that the patriarchy crosses all racial, religious and ethnic divides. That 53% of white women support it, doesn’t negate the need for all the rest of us to take it on in solidarity.
      That said, as someone estranged from my family because I won’t tolerate and enable their abuse of me, I certainly understand the author’s distrust of all palefaces. Whether or not she, or her community, trusts me, I stand with her and hers.

• janicen says:

I saw it on my phone last night. I had it recorded on my TV and we watched the show tonight. I finally cried. I’ve been numb since the election and doing my best to avoid the news and newspapers. Done some online chatting and texting with friends but I just couldn’t let myself feel. Tonight I watched this and let myself feel. I feel like I’ve finally taken a step forward.

9. Minkoff Minx says:

My Aunt Celeste at a protest in St. Pete Fl

So when you tell me, a noted soother and calmer of others, that I should tell Muslims and women and people of color that they have nothing to fear from Trump, I think that perhaps you want me to be like my grandfather.

And I think that perhaps for once in my life, I am not going to counsel calm and preach perspective and rally the kids for sixteen comforting verses of Kumbaya.

People are scared. They have every right to be. Trump’s words speak of an intent to violate fundamental liberties; Trump’s words inveigle violence; Trump’s words abrogate a social contract that says that we should quietly respect election results.

11. Pat Johnson says:

Our nation is firmly in the hands of a megalomaniac, Know Nothing narcissist absent of any core values or moral compass. Perhaps the most dangerous combinations held by any one individual. He is in way over his head.

He is easily swayed by flattery. He is without intellectual abilities or a sense of curiosity beyond himself. This is an empty shell who will never govern. His ego is satisfied just holding the title.

The nation will be led by radicals, religious and political, who will shove at him anything needing his signature leaving him plenty of time to Tweet and watch reality tv while seeking out his “enemies”. More telephone call ins will occur because who would dare to not answer?

Pence/Gannon/Preibus are those who will lead. A Republican congress will fast track every hated bill we that has been proposed. This will begin on Day One as promised.

I don’t have faith in the press who are already building up his character. I certainly do not trust the congressional Democrats to hold fast. Knee bending will follow suit. Chuck Schumer will sell us out before long.

Truthfully, I feel doomed. I see this country sliding into a fascist state because the people we choose to lead us are failures. Fear is rising, with good reason, throughout the nation but before long we will gradually adjust. Just a matter of time.

We have no one on our side capable of inspiring us. We have been cut adrift. We are about to embark on a dark journey with a lunatic as head of state surrounded by evil men who have shown how far they are willing to go to succeed.

They have and they did and the noose will tighten for all of as a result. I am much too frightened to see anything positive at this moment in time.

Forgive me.

• MsMass says:

Pat, I hope we do have people on our side capable of inspiring us and protecting us. I have sent the same comment as yours to our US senators in hopes of pushing them to start standing up to Trump. I want the Democratic Party to act more like an opposition to the far right than they so far- especially in the last week.
      Perhaps even foolishly, I’d like Hillary to speak up. A week ago, she was prepared to be President. I can’t imagine her smarts have deserted her completely in that short a time. She has millions of followers, and while she lost this election- I would still like to hear her ideas for how we proceed in the future.
      Maybe I’d even like to hear how we counter Trump at his own game, i.e.. with anger. Love trumps hate was a great slogan but now it does not appear to have been enough.

12. William says:

The broadcast media are Trump’s collaborators. They got him elected. The coverage was beyond awful, and it was clearly widely stacked against Hillary. So of course they will now celebrate and try to normalize Trump. The media is one of the greatest problems in our country, because they run interference and protection for the Republicans. And all the false stories and lies disseminated never get punished. We either don’t have a free press, or we have the stupidest people in history as broadcast journalists. Both could be true, but it is far more likely that the first is the case.

Let us reluctantly face the fact that the Republicans have been taking over all aspects of government for years. And we can look at why this has been. They care more about it, vote relentlessly in midterms, while our base does not> They game the system for all it is worth. They suppress votes in an ongoing effort to form a permanent unassailable majority. They block Democratic legislation and nominees, waiting until their side has the power to make and fill them. And again the press always accepts their side of the story. “Well, we must let the people decide on the Supreme Court nominee, not let Obama’s nominee have a hearing.” Nothing from the media, and very little of protest from the Democrats.This by itself should have cost them the election, in a halfway informed country. But it was never even asked about in debates, nor did the 32 or so minutes the media devoted to issues in the 18 month campaign, include anything on that. Hundreds of hours about emails, though. Nothing about the Trump campaign’s collaboration with Russia throughout the campaign, a horror story which would have gotten people tried for treason fifty years ago. How do you win, or maintain a democracy when you have such a stacked deck?

It may be that the only way to break this is to see the Republicans get to pass all of their legislation, and have it wreck the economy. But what hardships in store to go through that. GW Bush and his party’s policies wrecked the economy, and Democrats won back control, but eight years later, with a much improved economy, voters turned back to the same policies, disguised as populism. Dumb electorate, corrupt media, supressed voters. Who and what changes that, as we go forward?

• contrask says:

William, you are asking the right questions. All these points need t be addressed. Dems are going to have to develop a strategy to push back relentlessly against the Rep crap in the press. We have to educate voters – from the ground up. They aren’t coming out of public school with a basic knowledge of civics and they are being lied to in the media and from the pulpits of most churches here in the middle of the country. Your need to present your post to several Dem leaders.

• teele says:

Local school boards. This is how the Christian right got started taking over the republican party and now the country. Let’s start there, going to the meetings, then running (just get all your friends to vote for you, because nobody turns out for them). Time to get back to basics. Yes, it will take 25 years to start seeing any results, but prancing around in the streets getting shot at is going to get us nowhere fast.