Oh yeah is it Sunday, Open Thread?

(That message above is my projected thought to Trump BTW…)

Holy shit! I completely forgot what day it was…

Today is Sunday and it is my turn to write the post.

So, here is an open thread:

I will post some links in the comments below.

Advertisements

25 Comments on “Oh yeah is it Sunday, Open Thread?”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

News links coming….

• Minkoff Minx says:

From the link:

Both bombs appeared designed to create maximum chaos and fatalities — they also provided a trove of clues even as any suspects remained unnervingly at large.
      A top law enforcement official said that pressure cookers were filled with “fragmentation materials.” The bomb that exploded, at 23rd Street, was filled with small bearings or metal BBs. A second device on 27th Street that did not explode appeared to be filled with the same material, the official said

2. Minkoff Minx says:

I can’t post anything else. It is all too upsetting. I’ve been afraid to see what the Trump reaction has been today. I saw his first statement yesterday, it made me cold as ice.

AH, sweetie, I was worried about you. Hillary is up and the press is picking on the trumpster. Don’t you worry about a thing

Yeah, JJ, say “You, Mr. Trumptanic, were and are a jerk,” to him, and then forget about him and go do something pleasant.

I will try to send you a link to a recent fiber-prehistory info trove.

• quixote says:

That indigo-dyed cloth from Peru? That’s an amazing find.

Huh?!! Link, please!

Indigo in prehistoric Peru? Wow.

Welp. Apparently the indigo-color dye plants grown in South America are Indigofera suffruticosa and Polygonum tinctorum. I. tinctoria is usually grown in Asia. And it’s uncertain where the Indigofera species originated since they’ve been traded around the world.

Never mind. Found one.

“The people of the Americas were making scientific and technological contributions as early and in this case even earlier than people were in other parts of the world,” Splitstoser told Live Science. “We always leave them out. I think this finding just shows that that’s a mistake.”

• quixote says:

Just returned. I saw it on the BBC, I think, but this http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/2/9/e1501623.full is the actual article. The spinning and weaving technique is astonishingly good, even without the dye that lasts nearly 8000 years. If you’ve done any handspinning you know how hard it is to get such even threads — and they probably had only distaffs, no wheels — plus the evenness of the weave shows great skill.

Thanks, quixote! Very kewl and amazing. Andean textiles are masterpieces of technique and skill. Off the top of my head I don’t remember the figure for the fineness of their thinnest yarn, but recall reading that the ancient Egyptians spun linen finer than has been done yet with machines. For handspinning a spindle or charkha is generally consider better for ultrathin thread than is a wheel — more control over the tension with less risk of breaking the thread.

The distaff is what holds the fiber. The spindle (stick/shaft with whorl) is what is used for the actual spinning. You had me thinking you were a handspinner yourself, quixote, until that distaff slip! 🙂 I started spinning a few years back and it’s a wonderfully non-political meditative activity.

• quixote says:

Hah. I tried handspinning once or twice with one-of-those-hand-thingies-spindles-I-guess (:D). On my best go I reached about a yard before the “thread” broke, and the output looked like a sequence of cumulus clouds.

I’m fascinated by all this because I’m a botanist by trade, with an early and lifelong parallel interest in how people use plants. Fabric dyes are particularly interesting because like music or hallucinogens or dancing or playing around inventing things in general, there’s no obvious practical reason to do them. You have to be playing for the sheer enjoyment of it all. When you think about it, all of human civilization rests on playing around and Hard Work™ is actually antithetical to it. Fascinating, right?

Hah, my first spinning was just like yours! If our ancestors could do it, we can too. I spin mostly with spindles though I do have a wheel. Spindles are so cool! Simple technology. Portable, small, quiet, can be used when walking.

“playing around”

Imaginative experiments, yes! “What if…?” and that’s how things got invented. Not to mention how did people figure out they could process flax into fiber? Nettle stems into fiber? Amazing.

Thought you might like this, JJ.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

• Jslat says:

Wow! I didn’t know that. Makes me smile!

• Enheduanna says:

Feedsack!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a treasure trove of it! I look for it while I’m thrifting. I found a stack of full pieces worth about $200 once for $3.25. They didn’t know what it was. You can also find lots of homemade aprons from it and even quilts.

They also make reproduction prints now. It’s all just lovely and the variety of patterns is endless.

Look at all those different patterns! Thanks, BB.