Sunday Reads: You are here

Sunday is usually regarded as a day of rest, the end of a busy tired week…that last day of the weekend. When I was younger, the sound of the ticking stop watch that was used as the opening credits for 60 minutes always solidified the fact that the countdown was on, Sunday was coming to a close. The time had come, get your things ready for Monday morning…another beginning, another week of school (or work) ahead.image

For almost a year now, Sunday has come to mean…for me at least, a day to recover from a week of drowning in my disgust at what this country is presenting to the world as it’s presidential election.

It is that feeling when you swallow something the wrong way, and it is painful as it tries to go down your throat. You cough and feel as though you can’t breathe. There is a sense of panic as you try and take  in some oxygen, but for those first seconds nothing can get in…even though you know it should work its way out shortly and you will be able to breathe normally after several moments of coughing and clearing your throat of what was so  difficult to swallow.

imageThis reoccurring simulated choking on not being able to swallow the daily offerings from Trump, the media, political pundits, politicians, surrogates, idiot supporters, white supremacist hate groups that are becoming legitimately recognized as a mainstream political party voice…that is too much to handle. It gets to the point where there is no recovery, you can’t catch your breath. I feel as though I am drowning in the hate and honestly, where in hell can Love Trump Hate?

(I really do not think that slogan does it for me…it never seemed to have enough umph. Maybe it is because I’ve always seen Trump and his supporters for what they really are: white supremacist. And that is something I’ve realized since day one, especially living here in Banjoville. )

I am not surprised at how bad things have gotten or how outrageous Trump’s statements and comments can be…I think we haven’t seen the worst yet. It just has reached a point where I can no longer take that Trump news bite, for fear it will be the fatal one.

That is why I’m so obviously absent from discussion on the blog.  I can’t talk or write about this Trump asshole anymore. The events surrounding the election is more than I can handle.

I know that Boston Boomer and Dakinikat will write far better on the subject than I ever could…but I am unable to cover this hateful shitty election any longer.

imageGoing forward my post will be focused on worldwide news, the usual suspects (women issues), human interest and of course…political cartoons. I must avoid fuck face and his cross burning hood wearing fan base.

As always the threads are open, so please discuss whatever and whoever you want to in the comments below…that includes Trump and his ultra right wing of destruction.

I will start off with a few links:

FDA Recommends Zika Virus Testing For All Donated Blood, Blood Components In US Territories : HEALTH : Tech Times

The Case of the Deadly Bagpipes | Mental Floss

Take a moment and assess your hobbies. Unless your idea of a good time is bungee jumping or scaling Mt. Everest, your favorite pastimes are likely pretty safe … right? Think again. Experts are calling upon doctors to consider the risks posed by patients’ hobbies after a British man died of a lung infection likely caused by his daily sessions on the bagpipe. They reported their findings in the journal Thorax.

imageAn Auditory Component to Autism – Scientific American

New evidence suggests people with autism can recognize feelings and other traits of humanness in voices as well as—or even better than—neurotypical people do

Woman Unleashes Crickets On NYC Subway And All Hell Breaks Loose [UPDATE]

UPDATE: The woman was later identified by outlets as Facebook user Zaida Pugh, who says she’s an actress and that the incident was a prank. “I did this to show how people react to situations with homeless people and people with mental health [issues],” Pugh told Fusion. “How they’re more likely to pull out their phone than help.” A police source told the New York Post that Pugh could be charged for the disturbance.

imagePreviously:

A woman selling crickets and worms on a New York City subway Wednesday threw them into a packed train and flew into a rage, causing chaos, the New York Post reported.

The woman entered the train and made overtures to passengers to buy her insects. A group of teens pushed the woman, causing her to “freak out” and release the bugs, the Post wrote. As she ranted and the bugs spread, commuters dispersed.

Go to the link to read the rest of the story and see video and comments…someone actually pulled the emergency break and the train was stuck for a while.

fe97eaa5f3c1db4b3c91e7d8f9139624

23 Comments on “Sunday Reads: You are here”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Here is some eye candy for you: BSA Images Of The Week: 08.28.16 : Brooklyn Street Art

BSA IMAGES OF THE WEEK: 08.28.16
    Posted on August 28, 2016
    brooklyn-street-art-logan-hicks-jaime-rojo-08-28-2016-web-3
    BSA-Images-Week-Jan2015
    “Back in the USSR” comes to mind as we touched down in Moscow yesterday to see and speak with the 60+ Street Artists who are creating this impressive 2nd Street Art biennale “Artmossphere” just a stone’s throw away from the Kremlin, Red Square and The International Military Music Festival that runs all week as well. We’ll be bringing you new stuff all week as part of our partnership with Urban Nation Museum for Urban Contemporary Art (UN), investigating the creative process with artists, curators, and the organizing force behind all of this event.
    In the mean time, we bring you work from New York and elsewhere in this week’s fine edition of BSA Images of the Week.
    So, here’s our weekly interview with the street, this week featuring Aduk, Buff Monster, Crisp, Hiss, Lena Shu, Logan Hicks, Olek, and Wolfe Work.

JJ, I think ignoring Trumptanic and his ilk to focus on other matters is a good coping mechanism. We can only take so much of his hate.

I also wonder sometimes if love really trumps hate, but I will still shout it out in defiance!

I guess I must be pretty stodgy, because I think that cricket woman is horrible and should be prosecuted.

The massive amount of misogyny and racism wears me down. It also irritates me when the press acts like both sides are guilty of name calling and mudslinging. I’m tired of them too. All this stuff you think disappeared with modernity is back. I keep telling myself that it’s a minority. The problem is they are an angry and armed shit pot being stirred by a nut. These types of historical stories never end all that well.

5. Beata says:

Guess I gotta give up the bagpipes. Here I thought they were making my lungs stronger. What did I know?

Love the photos, JJ. I think we stopped at Hangman’s Tree for lousy food once during a family road trip. Daddy liked his beer warm and Mama always enjoyed a cocktail before committing manocide.

6. quixote says:

Minx, I’m another one who’d welcome views from outside the US election!

And huge kudos to you for keeping it together as well as you have! I hope things are going better now that the housing situation is a bit less iffy. Likewise, strengthening thoughts to Dakinikat and Fannie!

About the woman and her insects, I always get a bit of a chuckle out of watching my own prejudices at work. I’m neutral on worms (I assume these were earthworms?), and I quite like crickets. So I’m thinking, Jeez, what’s everyone so hot and bothered about? However, if she’d let loose a bunch of biggish spiders….

• Fannie says:

Thank you Quixote! Things are good, I keep looking at my huge Sunflowers in the sky. Gonna be cutting them down soon.

I have an intense phobia about worms. If I had been there, I might well have died.

• joanelle says:

Me too!

• Beata says:

I like worms. After it rains, if I see worms on the sidewalk as I’m walking along, I pick them up and put them on the grass so they have a better chance to survive. I always did that as a kid, too. If I find crickets in the house, I try to catch them and put them outside. I never kill a cricket. The sound of them on a summer’s night is so soothing.

I’ve done that with earthworms too! I love the sound of crickets — I was fascinated by them as a kid.

• ANonOMouse says:

“The sound of them on a summer’s night is so soothing.”

Well you’d love living in my head then because I have tinnitus and crickets is the sound I hear all the time. When it began it almost drove my crazy, but over time I adapted to it in much the same way we adapt to most things. I was legally blind before bilateral corneal transplants and I didn’t fully comprehend how restricted my vision was until my vision was restored. Somehow I adapted to restricted vision. Now I have macular degeneration in left eye and I’m getting a shot in that eye once a month. There is a slight improvement, but no guarantees with the shot. I suppose I’m destined to be blind if I live long enough.

• joanelle says:

I do the same with critters in the house as well, but something about worms just unhinges me

• Minkoff Minx says:

Thanks Q, the house is coming around but like you said…it is better knowing that the roof, although leaky, is ours. 😉

7. janicen says:

Heaven help us, another day being bombarded with stories and images of Anthony Weiner’s crotch. Hard to pick between the crotch story or the emails as to which one nauseates me more. I have some kind of respiratory cold/virus thing going on so I think I’m going to avoid the news today because it’s not helping me feel better. Happy Monday Sky Dancers!

• Beata says:

Now is a good time to read mysteries! Heck, it’s always a good time to read mysteries!

Hope you feel better soon, Janice.