Holy Hell, Wednesday Afternoon

Today is Wednesday, and it is a day of most importance to all “Gawd Furrin'” good xtians in Banjoville….it is a day that you will find most businesses closed. Yup…can’t even get you a new confederate flag or a can of lighter fluid down at the Local Red KKK Convenient Store because Wednesday is a day of rest and reflection and prayer for bigoted racist in this quiet red-neck backwoods mountain town.

I wonder if the talk at church this evening will be about the historic moment from yesterday’s DNC in Philadelphia. Hillary Clinton: The First Lady to Become the Nominee – The Atlantic

In a historic moment, the Democratic Party formally nominated Hillary Clinton for president Tuesday, making her the first female nominee for the nation’s highest office in 240 years.

I am so grateful for Boston Boomer, for putting up a thread this morning…as you all may know, we are in the process of moving to a new house…and today we are moving the big items. So again this is an open thread. Here are a few links to get you started:

Here is the transcript of the speech last night by Bill Clinton. I didn’t even get a chance to see it. We cannot even get satellite service here…the new house is that far into the mountains that the trees block all line of sight to the satellites above! From what I understand, it was a knockout:

Transcript: Bill Clinton’s DNC speech – CNNPolitics.com

And next, a few links on Trump:

Trump Says Russia Will Be ‘Rewarded’ For Hack, But Pence Promises ‘Serious Consequences’ | Mediaite

In a bit of mixed messaging,Donald Trump promised mighty rewards to Russia in exchange for interfering in the election, while his VP pick promised “serious consequences.”

At a press conference Wednesday morning Trump encouraged Russia to release State Department emails in order to injure Hillary Clinton‘s campaign. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press,” he said.

Shortly afterward, his Vice Presidential nominee, Indian Gov. Mike Pence issued a statement saying that, rather than rewards, there would be “serious consequences” to Russia if it was behind the hack of the DNC emails released to the public last Friday. (Expertsbelieve that Russia is responsible.)

Pence’s statement reads in full:

The FBI will get to the bottom of who is behind the hacking. If it is Russia and they are interfering in our elections, I can assure you both parties and the United States government will ensure there are serious consequences. That said, the Democrats singularly focusing on who might be behind it and not addressing the basic fact that they’ve been exposed as a party who not only rigs the government, but rigs elections while literally accepting cash for federal appointments is outrageous. The American people now have absolute and further proof of the corruption that exists around Hillary Clinton. It should disqualify her from office, if the media did their job. [emphasis added]

Not backing down, Trump tweeted, “If Russia or any other country or person has Hillary Clinton’s 33,000 illegally deleted emails, perhaps they should share them with the FBI!”

Shakesville: What Donald Trump Just Did Is Tantamount to Treason

At a press conference earlier today, Donald Trump said: “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the thirty thousand emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press. Let’s see if that happens.”

Holy fuck!

To put that in perspective…take a look at this headline:

Donald Trump To Begin Getting Intelligence Briefings : NPR

Now, let all that sink in a bit, and tell me if you don’t feel ill right about now.

More links to ponder:

From Wonkette: Donald Trump Wishes Democrats Would Maybe Use Some Patriotic Imagery, The Commies

Cheering crowds greet Pope as he arrives in Krakow – BBC News

Pope Francis calls for solidarity with refugees during speech in Kraków | World news | The Guardian

Column: What we need to do to prevent food shortages on a global scale | PBS NewsHour

Hey, It Was Hard Not to Cry at This Historic DNC — Vulture

The glass ceiling: a metaphor that needs to be smashed | US news | The Guardian

I hope everyone has a smashing afternoon!

Advertisements

74 Comments on “Holy Hell, Wednesday Afternoon”

No. And Olbermann was an easy grader.

Trump getting security briefings? That makes me very uneasy. Not that he could understand them anyway.

JJ, moving is such drudgery.

C-span has a lot of the speeches online; that’s where I’ve watched most of them.

• Fannie says:

You are right Luna, moving is a pain in the ass. I woke up this morning JJ, and had you on my mind. The article about preventing food shortages hit home with me. You know Bill and I do our community garden, and this year we’ve had 6 others join us. Great families, like a woman who is a social worker, another woman who is an single mother, with to teens, and she is an onolgist. Another family that is a blended family who work for the state department, and another retired friend, and a young girl that jazzed me up. She is going into her second year at Boise University. When I met her mother, I was talking about our garden, and she stepped up proudly and said she was the gardener of her family. Next thing I know she was out there doing a nice big garden. I couldn’t help but go over and share tools, and watch her work, and it’s been weeks now, and she starting to harvest her goods.

Yesterday we came home with 4 very big bags of crookneck, zucchini, cukes, tomatoes, and baby carrots, green beans. I’ve been canning by zucchini relish, pickles, and apricot jam. I’ve been freezing foods. It’s marvelous to share with other families, to give extra’s to our friend the social worker who gives to those who really need healthy foods.

Truth be told, I cried reading this article, because I though what would it would be like for people who are starving, who have so little to have fresh foods.

I know I use the technology to help preserve foods, like my food processor, and seal a meal, and have a freezer to store, and shelves to put my jars, my bags, my boxes, my containers in place.

Today, my granddaughter is coming, and we have plenty of peaches (cobblers to make), and zucchini bread to freeze. I just love it when we get together, and she is involved in what she says is yummy.

How anyone can listen to Trump and not think “megalomaniac airhead” and “full of bullshit” I cannot fathom!

Lots of lies in that speech that weren’t highlighted either, such as our military being “a disaster” and “women don’t like Hillary.”

• Enheduanna says:

I can’t wait for the military endorsements to come out. Hopefully that will give Trump’s supporters pause. OTOH if cheerleading FOR (not against) outright treason with intelligence info to Russia doesn’t do it not sure what will.

Read that last line and think about what the Trump said today. He’s gone beyond that.

“Title 18 US Code Section 2381 – Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.”

• Ron4Hills says:

He answers sound like he is on uppers.

2. Fannie says:

Now Trump says he doesn’t believe in the Geneva Convention either.

3. Enheduanna says:

I can’t find it but I remember reading about Russian oligarchs a while ago (Naomi Klein’s Disaster Capitalism?) – and the person being interviewed complained that not one of these nouveau riche had as much as an ounce of class; essentially tasteless, gaudy scammers. I’m sure they must love Trump’s hideous properties. And Manafort just looks like a mafia goon to me. How can anybody fall for these guys???

On MSNBC the big story just now was whatever Terry McAulliffe said about the TPP and about how Bernie bros might try to get Tim Kaine replaced as VP. On CNN there was discussion about whether if Russia did have Hillary’s deleted personal emails, that might mean she was guilty of something.

Historians will have to write about how the media tried to hand this election to a fascist with the knowledge and temperament of a third-grader.

• Fannie says:

Trump just said that Terry McAullifee knows Hillary better than Bill Clinton does. Bottom line he goes low, and we go high. He does nothing but throw insults! Awful man, awful.

• janicen says:

I fired off an angry email to the VA Dems/Terry. OMG I was pissed off when I heard what he said. Whether it’s Bill or Terry or any man close to a woman who is trying to achieve something, they will somehow manage to undermine her. What pissed me off the most was the timing. I know what he was doing because he wants TPP. He’s been running all over Asia cutting deals to bring Asian companies into VA and he’s been wildly successful. Virginia’s economy is booming and he wants to do more but ffs NOT NOW TERRY! Not during her convention. He walked his statements back in a half-assed way today and then later walked them back even further so I’m sure the Clinton campaign has expressed their displeasure. What a stupid, stupid thing for him to do.

• Fannie says:

I swear to God, he should have been writing those 200,000 letters on behalf of felons and parolees, in order that they can vote.

He let Trump gain in the media, and he considers that a win over the our convention. His republicans as much said so.

The republicans don’t care what he says about Hillary Clinton, our President, our Country, or any democrats. They stand by, like they did at the RNC, and remain silent.

• William says:

The media gets worse every cycle. Out of utter stupidity, or bias, they miss the key stories, misconstrue the others; and try to lead the voters to concentrate on the wrong things,

Hillary Clinton Made History Last Night, But You Wouldn’t Know It From These Front Pages

6. Fannie says:

Listening to Eric Holder, former AG, and he made it clear that Trump should be disqualified as Commander in Chief, for his recent statements.

7. Jslat says:

Martin O’Malley gave a stirring speech!

8. Ron4Hills says:

Trumps comments about the “Vodka Gate” break to the DNC servers proves that he is, too stupid, too glib, too self server and too naive with regard to Putin, to be Dog Catcher . Much less President.

“Hit her Vlad! Hit her! ”

You have to be fcuking kidding.

9. Fannie says:

The platform speakers are talking about gun violence. I wish someone would ask the audience, how many of you own guns, raise your hands. Next, how many of you came here to the convention with a gun? No one, because our convention does not allow it.

• Fannie says:

Andrea Mitchell, asked John Lewis about gun violence. And like all of us, he’s sick and tired of it, and all the pain, and the funerals. Then she asked about the house sit in, why it didn’t work. He said, because they told us to win the election, then we could have a vote. I sure the fuck hope that we remember those words when we are in control. There message is that the good citizens aren’t entitled to a vote with the republicans in office.

Let us not forget, these ugly bastards who would rather see babies wail and cry, rather see church members shot dead, rather see students, movie goers, families out on the town, all shot dead. What comes around goes around. I won’t be forgetting.

10. Ron4Hills says:

OK, well I’m crying again.

Damn you DNC!

I know that the right wing are supposed to be hte religious ones but it is our convention that seems almost like a church thing. Like a wedding or a funeral, or a family reunion.

Our convention is the American family.

They are killing me.

They have me blubbering like a baby.

This is the polar opposite to Cleveland.

11. Jslat says:

Sob! I hear you Ron! I can’t stop crying! Love is in that hall!

12. Jslat says:

Ret Rear Admiral Justin ….T-rump ” he is not Law and Order but Criminal Intent!”

13. Ron4Hills says:

The love is not getting through to everyone.

14. Ron4Hills says:

Dignity, maturity, discipline and duty.

That is what Captain Kavanaugh and Hillary Clinton have that Puffy-Doo doesn’t.

Well, that and girl parts, but that is not the point.

15. William says:

I wish cable had not cut to commercial during the devastating video which showed a myriad of military leaders and foreign policy experts saying that Trump was dangerous and incredibly ignorant.

16. Ron4Hills says:

Actually, when these rude narcissistic children disrupt I think they make the case for why Hillary needed to win this primary.

They have no respect, no class, no decorum, no understanding that American democracy is inherently an exercise in compromise.

You have had your say.

Now llsten for once in your self-centered infantile lives.

They were yelling about drones, which Bernie supports.

• Ron4Hills says:

Popped over to the networks for a second and it sounds like all it did was make the BernieBots look bad. Not Hills, not Pannetta. Especially since Pannetta was taking Puffy-Doo to task over his Russia statements when they decide to act out.

• Sweet Sue says:

Yes, they’re the left’s Tea Party.

17. Ron4Hills says:

Get’em!!!!

18. Ron4Hills says:

Joe was great but Bloomberg is taking Trump apart piece by piece.

Yikes, I am glad he didn’t get in the race! 🙂

19. Jslat says:

Bloomberg endorsement is YUUUUUGE! Up yours T-rump!

20. Fannie says:

That Tim Kaine, I hope he opened a lot of eyes. Such an honorable man, a very very nice guy, and for real.

He hammered Trump.

21. Ron4Hills says:

I did not know Kaine. That was pretty good. I think I remember him doing a SOtU response once that was not very memorable.

This was a pretty good speech.

His speech when Hillary introduced him as her running mate in Florida made me forget all about “boring” and “stolid.” He’ll tie Pence up so fast he won’t know what’s happening during the VP debate.

• Valhalla says:

Agreed. He’s quite dynamic and engaging. Not sure where the whole boring thing came from. He did a great job.

And I think he’s a great VP for Hillary. Their personalities are clearly different but they’ll work great together.

22. janicen says:

I can’t even choose who my fav speaker has been tonight. What a show. Obama is killing it.

23. Ron4Hills says:

I was hoping they would appear together.

Another stellar night.

I’ve been riveted by Obama’s speech. It is one for the ages.

• Ron4Hills says:

I knew that the President was capable of that kind of performance I just didn’t know if he would “BRING IT”, I should not have worried. Like Michelle, his heart really seemed to be in it.

One quick note on Donna Brazile’s speech yesterday. The reason it touched me was because it was clear in how she danced on to the stage and danced off. She was clearly thrilled to finally be able to give Hills a full throated endorsement. You could see that she MEANT it.

That is how I felt about Obama’s speech tonight.

The people speaking tonight, and all week, so clearly believe that Hillary is what America needs right now.

In Cleveland, the only people that really believe that about “The Don”, the Godfather of Shined Sh!t and Polished Turd salesman, were also named Trump.

I know, language.

Yea. Took a few years for Obama to bring his A game but he did it. I swear like a sailor so np by me.

• Ron4Hills says:

Apologizing for language is kind of a reflex because of my mother and sister. Donald Trump really is a Shit Shining Turd Salesman.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

26. janicen says:

We knew this was going to be a great convention and we were right. I’m just smiling here and feeling proud of the Democratic party.

27. Fannie says:

That is our leader, and I am so proud, so very proud of our democrats. After listening, and crying, and trying to get my breath, and I am so very proud of my cousin, Barrack Obama. I am so proud that we have Hillary Clinton ready to climb the highest mountain with us.

I have a wonderful letter from President Obama, it’s about our family, so when he talked about his ancestors, and how the values traveled to all corners of this earth, he filled me with so much pride, and I am so happy to have that letter in my treasures of letters, and documents, and also the wonderful family photo he sent me. I am so happy to be a small part of that connection, he truly has touched me not just as a cousin, but as a honorable man, a more inter-personal thing that comes from me, from my body, from my awareness, and the need to pound on people to join with us for equality, for justice, and help be the keeper of door, that is opened for everyone in this country.

My eyes, with tears, are now closed, and I know that we move forward, at this time, with Hillary Clinton. Everybody let’s get together!

28. Ron4Hills says:

I was just thinking about Trumps double down on Vodka Gate.

Can you imagine if Nixon had done a press conference and said to the Watergate burglars, ” I hope you got something on Chappaquiddick. If you got anything on Ted Kennedy or Chappaquiddick I’d love to see it.”

29. Ron4Hills says:

I talked to my Mom this morning and she said that she just heard them interview what must be a 4th degree BernVictim who said that they planned to disrupt Hillary’s speech. That they feel they have no choice….

They were given a prominent place that they had no right to sk for on the platform committee.

They were given a full rool call vote, which Hills did not get in 2008 even though she was a LOT closer to the eventual nominee.

Their blatant disrespect of Elijah Cummings and Leon Panetta, and many, many others has been tolerated to the point of indulgence on the assumption that their passion and raw disappointment had earned them a “pass” while they processed their “grief.”

At this point any further concessions to these “attention whores” is Neville Chamberlain level appeasement!

Fcuk them! I am tired of it. Cool it or be escorted out.

Agree! That these brats were given a roll call vote burns me and millions of others who remember 2008.

They can go fart themselves into their own damn party.