Sunday Reads: The Trumptastic Insight into a Pence-sive ViP Pick

In cartoon narrative of course.

The Trumptonian Effect will get you!!!!

The Trumptonian Effect will get you!!!!

Hello all, usually in my cartoon tales of sorrow or Women in Red, I use very old cartoons that have made it past their copyright date expiration and are now free for public use. But today, the cartoons are by an artist who is renown world wide…Jean Giraud also known as Moebius. 220px-Moebius_Lodz_2008 I have some links to a few articles…mostly taken from obituaries after his death in 2012, and his official website below:

Site officiel de Jean Giraud Moebius Official website

Jean “Moebius” Giraud, 1938-2012 | The Comics Journal

NOTE: Giraud’s astonishingly varied and lengthy career resists a simple, succinct obituary. I hope that I have managed to tame it into a coherent narrative, and have not let too many foolish mistakes slip in due to time pressure. (I feel Dan Nadel’s breath on my neck even as I finish this introduction.)

I met Jean only once, to conduct the interview that appeared (gah!) 25 years ago in The Comics Journal, and he was as sweet, modest, and affable as every other person who ever met him has reported. I have said for years now — in fact, probably since 2000, when Charles Schulz left us, and there were four — that the three greatest living cartoonists are Robert Crumb, Jacques Tardi, and Jean Giraud. In the last 48 hours, that number has shrunk to two.

Salut, Jean!

—Kim Thompson

Jean Giraud, the French cartoonist best known under his pen name “Moebius,” died Saturday in a Paris hospital after a lengthy battle with cancer, at the age of 73.

Like his namesake single-surfaced geometric figure, Giraud enjoyed two distinct careers that could be considered opposite sides of a coin, or a continuation of one another: As “Gir,” he co-created, illustrated, and eventually wrote the Western series Lt. Blueberry for over four decades, while as “Moebius,” he drew and often wrote some of the most revolutionary and dazzling science fiction comics ever created — as well as providing costume and set designs for such visually groundbreaking movies as Alien, TRON, and The Fifth Element.

Either career would have placed him at the forefront of his chosen trade; braided together into one astonishing life, the two made him indisputably one of the greatest cartoonists of the second half of the 20th century.

Giraud was considered a national treasure in his native country, and his death has been one of the major news stories there over the weekend, as virtually every practicing cartoonist joined together in mourning the passage of a true legend.

jean-moebius-giraud

How Moebius revolutionised comic art | Creative Bloq

This archive interview looks at the artist that inspired Star Wars, reinvented French comics, and pioneered surreal illustration.

Legendary French artist Moebius, the man who made The Abyss, Alien, and Tron even weirder, is dead at 73

Today is an incredibly sad day for fans of comic books, concept art, and downright anything science fiction. Artist Jean “Moebius” Giraud, who provided some of the most stunning scifi and fantasy art ever to grace a page, has succumbed to illness at the age of 73.

jean-giraud-moebiusIt’s pretty hard to overstate the hand Moebius had in some of science fiction’s most phantasmagoric cinema. You know his work even if you’ve never realized it.

In addition to providing preliminary designs for such films as Alien, Tron, The Abyss, Masters of the Universe, The Fifth Element, and Willow (which were awesome albeit unused), the artist provided concept art for El Topo directorAlejandro Jodorowsky’s never-realized Dune adaptation, which was to star Mick Jagger and boast a soundtrack by Pink Floyd.

Images by Moebius on Tumblr:

moebius on Tumblr

Here is a BBC Channel 4 Documentary on Moebius:

It is about an hour long if you have the time…

Another obit from the New York Times which states Giraud died from cancer: Jean Giraud, the Comic-Book Artist ‘Moebius,’ Dies at 73 – The New York Times

In the spirit of creativity, and since this election is more in the realm of science fiction and horror…I use a few images from this spectacular legendary artist Moebius…to illustrate a story.

The story is a simple one, the true tale behind the beast Trumptonian and his very important pick…however pensive it may have been…for the number two in his life.

trump 1

Trump 16

Untitled

Trump 17

Trump 18

Trump 19

trump 20

This is an open thread…have a great evening.

23 Comments on “Sunday Reads: The Trumptastic Insight into a Pence-sive ViP Pick”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

And boy this is late…I need to make some fixes in the spellings…but I hope you enjoy it.

This is amazing and hilarious! I’ve never heard of Giraud before. He was obviously a very talented artist. Thanks for another great post, JJ.

2. Minkoff Minx says:

If you cannot see the cartoon images, click on the image itself and it will take you to a much larger image where you can click again on the picture and it will be made bigger still.

3. pdgrey says:

I ashamed to say I have to go back to your links. But you know I will. Baton Rouge,La.
    Pete Williams is reporting the shooter is “sovereign citizens movement”. I guess I should know about them because of the Bundy clan. From Southern Poverty Law Center.

4. pdgrey says:

I my blown away by someone I didn’t know. This man was amazing. I feel rather stupid not knowing about. Jean Giraud. Thank you for this.
    I will watch documentary tonigh.t

5. ANonOMouse says:

JJ……The story of Trump/Pence is hysterical. Thank you for the good laugh, I needed that today!

• Ron4Hills says:

I fear that these glory-seeking psychopaths will drive frightened voters into the arms of Trump.

• Fannie says:

Throughout this year we have had plenty of conversations that Dak has brought to our attention, about the sovereign citizens, and posse commitatus movement. Early in the year, Dak stated “protesting is never enough for this bunch of gun-toting, cowboy, guvbmint-hating, law breaking white men”………Several groups popped up, Ruby Ridge, and Bundy’s Movement.

The Sovereign Black movement pretty much have the same modus operandi, and have a “blue book” on how to work the streets and communities.

• Fannie says:

I think you have to click on the first link to read the story. Don’t know why it didn’t work, but if you click the black man on the story is there.

• Fannie says:

Bob Reid, says that big problem is that of training police officers, and that most budgets have been cut back. They are stretched thin. Well who is it doing all the budget cuttings etc throughout our government. Republicans, just like they did with funds for our embassies, etc.
        They cut all the funds for job building, and we have people in communities who need jobs, but they refuse to lift a finger to help our President. They control the budget, and they have done a horrible job, done nothing but shut our government down.

As a matter of fact these republicans joined in on the Bundy movement in Nevada, most of them went to his rescue, with loaded guns from bridges waiting for Obama’s to send in forces. He was too smart for them. Now I wish he had.

• Fannie says:

If you didn’t see this last night, take a look at Sheriff David A. Clarke and Don Lennon on CNN:

• Fannie says:

Remember this Sovereign Sheriff (John Hanlin) of Douglas Co. Oregon, during the shootings on the college campus?

• Fannie says:

I am sorry I had duplicate: Here’s the John Hanlin video:

• Fannie says:

Bye the bye, it shouldn’t surprise you that Trump has him on the agenda at Republican convention, he’ll likely have this guy and Joe Arpaio head up his law and order team.

• janicen says:

Jesus that was hard to watch but interesting nonetheless. Fucker is just crazy.

• Fannie says:

Here’s Sheriff Glenn Palmer of Grant Co. Oregon:

6. janicen says:

Great post, JJ. Really enjoyable read.

7. Beata says:

Brilliantly done post, JJ. Bravo!

I love Jean Giraud’s work. It’s as if Maxfield Parrish met Magritte on Mars.