Sunday Happy Muthas Day

Happy Mother’s Day to all the Muthas out there!

I hope everyone is feeling well, healing well from their surgeries, traveling safely, staying cool, taking care and enjoying life on these early weekends of May.

All the others who are in situations where things are not so pleasant, I hope you are dealing with the shit as best as you can…and somehow planning to make a change or at the very least, coming up with creative ways to say “fuck this fucking shit” as you carry on with your day.

This being Mother’s Day and all, there is a wonderful post up at Wonkette, I wish I could quote the whole thing…be sure to go and read it all, okay?

I thought it would make a real nice conversation starter…

First the post and then the question, here it is:

Raise Less Corn, More Hell | Wonkette

I forgot to run this on May Day, so now it is your official Mother’s Day post! Ignore that first line. Hell, ignore all of it. IF YOU LIKE MY MAMA’S WRATH.

And so today is May Day! We can have — or heave! — a cocktail for the working man. We can put on Our Marching Zapatos of Ocupado Justice! We can do lots and loads of things! But me, I’m missing mi mamacita communista. She didn’t die or anything, she just retired and moved back to Oklahoma, where they still (unaccountably) haven’t burned her for a witch.

These are things my mother taught me.

* The dog can drink out of the pool.

* It’s best if the babies are naked.

* Protesting is fun! Marching is better!

* It is our patriotic duty to cuss loud and creatively. Lenny Bruce wants us to stick it to the squares. For America. And the children.

* Good names for America’s pets and children include Rosie, Emma, Fidel and Diego, and any of her children who don’t comply will have their kids’ and pets’ names changed unilaterally. Rodents should be named after baked goods.

* The best name for getting arrested under while demonstrating is Emma Goldman.

* Good places to get arrested are the Nevada Test Site, Diablo Canyon, and the mean streets of Thousand Oaks, California, during Gulf War 1.

* Bad places to get arrested are on warrants for failure to appear.

You can see it is going to be advice that is heavy on the theme of “May Day”, but these are some key-points I loved…

* How to choose a losing candidate.

* The names of a high proportion of local flowers and trees.

[…]

* There’s no need to hold a grudge for more than a couple of hours, unless your friend is 100 percent right and you are 100 percent wrong, in which case you may stay angry for the next 15 years.

[…]

* Un pueblo unido … can never be divided!

* I should not wear whore shoes. (She finally gave up on that.)

* Good places to pick fights are at parties and in line at the grocery store.

* There is never an inappropriate time to talk politics.

[…]

* It is better to have a kid who cusses than a little prig who goes “ooooh I’m telling” when someone else does.

* If you don’t take your kids to parties and restaurants and concerts and galleries and city council meetings, you are loosing an idiot on the world.

[…]

* All the words to the 1930s lullabye “Lilac trees,” including the spoken coda: “And then the little pickanniny [!] boy got sick and died, and all the little white children were sorry they didn’t play with him.”

* Just try not crying yourself to sleep every night after that!

* If you love Martin Luther King in 1961 Oklahoma, boys in your high school will threaten to “make you dead.”

* Down with Whitey.

* And the Man.

* And most women too!

I leave the best parts for you to discover…so please go over to Wonkette and do that…

Anyway, I thought we could post a few words of wisdom from our mothers, you know, down in the comment section below.

Here are a few other tips from mothers you may enjoy:

Like this clip from AbFab, BBC One – Absolutely Fabulous, Series 2, Birth, Mother’s Advice

The BBC sitcom Absolutely Fabulous stars Jennifer Saunders as Edina, the wealthy and erratic, chain smoking PR consultant. Her friend Patsy Stone, played by Joanna Lumley shares her deluded world of glamour. In an effort to bond with her daughter, Eddy offers Saffy some relationship advice.

be-careful-of-wigs

Patsy’s relationship advice? “Be careful of wigs.”

More motherly advice from Rose, Loretta’s mother….

Do you love him Loretta?

Good. When you love them they drive
you crazy cause they know they can.
But you like him?

Another bit of advice….

So, what sort of advice did your mama give you?

This is an open thread of course, be sure to post whatever kinds of links you want!

Advertisements

40 Comments on “Sunday Happy Muthas Day”

1. Hey, I would put up links to the shit that happened in California, with Bernie and all. Oh and that fucking interview with Sanders and Maddow…but I can’t deal with that crap.

2. Pat Johnson says:

My mother’s word of wisdom: “When you become a mother you become someone else”,

So true.

3. “She was determined to give me and my brothers opportunities far beyond anything she’d known.” —Hillary on her mom https://amp.twimg.com/v/7cd1387c-cba1-414d-bb7e-df4662fcb46a

………………………….
    It Takes A Village…Happy Mother’s Day SkyDancers!

4. ANonOMouse says:

Wisdom from my Mother!

“Sit up straight it makes you look more confident and taller”.

“Hold your head up, it makes you look more confident”

“I’m your best friend but you won’t realize it until I’m gone”

“Your ears are too big to wear your hair in a ponytail”. I did it anyway

“Why do you always have to be the clown, there’s no money in it.” I just couldn’t help myself.

“I know the thought of straight sex repulses you as much as the thought of 2 Lizbians together repulses me”. To which I replied “No momma, I had 3 children, so no, straight sex doesn’t repulse me and why are you thinking about 2 lizbians together? And momma, I’m not a Lizbian, I’m a lesbian.”,

“Every time you say “I swear to god I didn’t do it”, I know you did it”.

“Always buy things on sale, no matter how much it costs”. That was one of my favorites because she was a shopaholic. She insisted on QVC being on the TV at all times, even as she was dying. On the day she died I changed the channel because I thought she was unconscious, but as soon as I did she opened her eyes and said “what channel do you have on?” I quickly changed it back and said “QVC momma”.

• janicen says:

I enjoyed reading your list. Some of it made sense and some of it made me laugh. I’m trying to come up with a list of my own but my mom said some pretty strange things and I’m not sure much of it was appropriate for publication. 😀

• ANonOMouse says:

My mother was a character. She was 1st Generation Sicilian and hot headed, she took no shit off of anyone, except my father. She was a dichotomy. She could be warm, but aloof, funny, but intensely serious. Compassionate, but unforgiving. Kind, but heavy handed. She had a difficult life as a child and a hard life with my father who was an alcoholic. She was a very unique person and even though it took her some time to come to terms with my sexual orientation, when she finally did she was totally on board. But she worried, until the day she died, that someone was going to see me on TV at a Gay Pride march. 🙂 Every year she tried to talk me out of going! I miss her, she was one of a kind!!!

5. RalphB says:

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there!

Hope every one is having a wonderful day!!! Here’s a shout out to all the daughter’s like me that had a slightly less intense version of Joan Crawford for a mom! At least she taught me how not to mother my daughters!

hugs,

The power of motherhood is mystical in its ability to create and destroy. “Probably there is nothing in human nature more resonant with charges than the flow of energy between two biologically alike bodies,” Adrienne Rich writes in her book about motherhood, “one of which has lain in amniotic bliss inside the other, one of which has labored to give birth to the other. The materials are here for the deepest mutuality and the most painful estrangement.” The failed mom’s power is no less indelible than a good mom’s power.

• janicen says:

“…taught me how not to mother my daughters…” Amen. My thoughts exactly, if I could say something good about my mother’s mothering it’s that I had a perfect example of what not to do.

There’s a lot of us out here.

• ANonOMouse says:

We all have to survive our parents! Even the best parents get a bad rap sometimes! It’s the toughest job on earth.

• janicen says:

And some of them deserve the bad rap.

Well, my mother’s damage came from her family and she passed less of it on to me than she got because she did love me. I think we do need to realize that we’re all not perfect and not one model of parenting fits every one or their kids. Love and understanding are always a good beginning though.

• ANonOMouse says:

Yeah they do, my Dad was in the bad rap category! He was abusive and made our lives miserable. He outlived my Mother and I took care of him until he died from cancer at my home. In the end he realized how badly he had treated us and apologized. I had to let it go because I couldn’t carry those memories and live the life I wanted to live. I learned to pity him instead of hate him. I even learned to forgive him.

Ayup. Passing on the pain … Maybe they also passed on the part of me that didn’t betray them at the end.

• ANonOMouse says:

Is that your Mom? If not there sure is a strong resemblance. A very pretty lady.

• Fannie says:

Beautiful photo! Tell me you still have the dress?

My oldest daughter was baptized in it and mom washed it and sent it back to her sister. It disappeared at some point so my youngest is the only great grand child not baptized in it.

and Jill Stein was a jerk today:

Internet excoriates Green Party’s Jill Stein for calling Hillary bad mom

8. quixote says:

Oh, and JJ? I hope things are gradually smoothing out for you! Ignoring the news is a wise move toward recovery in any case.

Joy Reid: Sanders Keeps Making ‘Excuses’ for Why He’s Not Getting More Votes
    by Josh Feldman | 3:09 pm, April 24th, 2016

Why Bernie Didn’t Get My Vote
    It’s not his focus on the economy—it’s that he doesn’t seem to understand that the economy is structured by gender and race.
    By Katha PollittTwitterMAY 4, 2016

11. We Feared Witches. We Hung Women
    …………………………….

Very good article on the media hype and push of false and misleading ‘leaks’ that are a smear campaign.

Very well done, to bad the real media keeps repeating the false narrative.

12. Liz Kreutz @ABCLiz
    Another protester confronts Clinton on the rope line. Agents surround him and escort him out:pic.twitter.com/iPl6dPViEm

This very concerning as they are yelling accusing her of murdering people in a fit of rage within reach. Sanders is not endearing himself to voters in my humble opinion.