Live Blog: Hillary Clinton Town Hall with Rachel Maddow and the other one

Good Evening!

160218-town-hall-clinton-jsw-06_e71f323a96b91ca0cd235d2b6860bc43.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000I thought I’d put up a thread so we could discuss our impressions of tonight’s townhalls on MSNBC.   They will be livestreamed at the link.

Democratic U.S. presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders are scheduled to take the stage at back-to-back MSNBC-televised town halls in Philadelphia Monday evening, just a day before Pennsylvania voters head to the polls. As in past town halls, both candidates will answer questions by the moderators as well as by prospective voters in the audience. Live streams of both town hall events can be viewed by clicking here or by watching below.

Sanders’ hourlong session will be hosted by MSNBC host Chris Hayes, beginning at 8 p.m. EDT. Rachel Maddow will moderate an hourlong session with Clinton immediately afterward, starting at 9 p.m. EDT.

Pennsylvania is among five states with presidential primary elections Tuesday, along with Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland and Rhode Island. Excluding superdelegates, Clinton has a comfortable lead with 1,428 delegates, while Sanders has 1,153 delegates.

According to opinion polling, Clinton is projected to do well Tuesday. Sanders’ best chance is in Rhode Island. There are a combined 384 delegates at stake for Democrats Tuesday. Many in the party will be watching Pennsylvania, with 210 delegates, and Maryland, with 118 delegates.

Sanders has no real path to the nomination at this point but is still in the race.

64 Comments on “Live Blog: Hillary Clinton Town Hall with Rachel Maddow and the other one”

It’s started and she’s looking beautiful in blue!!!

She’s reaming Sanders on his whining about demands

She’s talking about the Koch comments.

My favorite part so far is when Rachel asked what would you do if you’re winning and Hillary said “I am winning.”

5. Ron4Hills says:

This one time I am not going to censor myself. Hillary is fucking awesome!

I had no idea this was happening. I guess I missed the whole thing.

Urgh! I keep losing the stream.

Once again, I think how could anyone listen to this and not realize how superb she is!

9. Jslat says:

Didn’t realize that this post was up. My favorite little interaction was when Rachel introduced a man who was democrat leaning towards voting for Hillary. Hillary said, “lean in, lean in”. Loved it! She’s so smart, charming, strong and warm.

Maddow’s gaffe “….if you were winning” sums up the whole media attitude about Hillary. Here she is, winning more and more votes, and they can’t seem to realize that.

Wake up! Voters like her! She is winning!

Yup. And Hillary nailed her ass tactfully and succinctly.

• Jslat says:

And it was beautiful!

• ANonOMouse says:

I was SO GLAD that Hillary shut down Rachel’s “if your winning” comment. I especially liked how she leaned into Rachel when she spoke and said “I am winning” “I lead in the popular vote by 2.7 million and in delegates by over 200”. That was a deliberate line of questioning to attempt to force Hillary to acquiesce to Bernie’s demands as a way to win his support. It was a total BULLSHIT question and I’m so proud of Hillary for snatching the question away from Rachel and not allowing Rachel to turn Clinton’s Town Hall into another Bernie Town Hall. Clinton reminded Rachel that she made NO demands of Barack, she just went to work to help him to get elected.

So here’s what it boils down to, WHOEVER WINS THE FUCKING ELECTION GETS TO SEE HER POLICY POSITIONS BECOME PART OF THE PARTY PLATFORM. Bernie is losing and will lose and the only way his ideas become part of the Party Platform is if he had won. Bernie is in NO POSITION to make demands. He needs to be put in his place as soon as the primary is over. He needs to be primaried and sent packing back to his hiding place in VT.

And she is the voice of the majority of voters. It’s democracy!

• Sweet Sue says:

Hillary was brilliant!! If Rachel hadn’t already voted in NY, she would have voted for Our Girl.

Yes! The loser does not get to dictate any terms.

Sanders needs to be primaried and beaten again. He doesn’t know how to behave in the Democratic Party.

So true. Thanks for stating the facts, Mouse!

• ANonOMouse says:

Last night, as I watched Rachel trying to squeeze platform/policy concessions out of Hillary, I couldn’t help but wonder, if the roles were reversed would this be happening? The answer is no, it wouldn’t!! If Bernie were winning no one would have asked him to consider Hillary’s platform/policy as superior to his own. Or asked him if he would barter with Hillary to win over her supporters/voters. It has traditionally been the job of the loser to try to move their supporters to the Party nominee. Obviously Bernie isn’t MAN enough to do that and refused to say he would, even when pinned down and specifically asked if he would. I’m not surprised that he is a sore loser because that’s his personality. Even if he were winning he’d be agitated about it. He’s a grumpy old man of the highest order and I hope that Hillary goes out today and KICKS his ass in every primary, although I think CT and RI might be close, I think the others will be convincing victories.

GO HILLARY

I liked how she said her policy on Wall Street was more comprehensive than his and if people wanted his ideas he wouldn’t be so hugely behind.

• joanelle says:

Ok,ok. She’s at the point where she should stay aware of what BS I saying but, unless it is worthy of her response she should just ignore him.

The BS team is working hard to keep her engaged with them, because at this point they need her engaged to give them validity; and to my mind they have no value except to continue trying to trip up our gal.

Plus it will frustrate the heck out of them 😏

• purplefinn says:

I agree that ignoring Bernie as much as possible is the best strategy.

I hope the press does that too. He’s a grumpy old loser and a meanie.

• ANonOMouse says:

You’re strategy of ignoring him is totally right. Last night he was working hard to get a reaction out of her when asked by an audience member if he would support Clinton he replied: ” We’re not a movement where I can snap my fingers and say to you or to anybody else what you should do, that you should all listen to me. You shouldn’t. You make these decisions yourself,”

I think it’s obvious that he has no intention of doing the right thing and supporting the nominee, so she has no recourse but to basically ignore him. She doesn’t need to give him any more debate opportunities, but she does need to draw sharp contrasts with his policies, which frankly aren’t really policies, they’re more like Wishes Upon A Star.

She did say she supported Obama unequivocally and worked to bring her supporters into his fold.

• ANonOMouse says:

Yes, she said that she campaigned for Obama and asked her supporters to support him. She also said she introduced him at the Democratic National Convention in 2008. I remember she gave him a glowing introduction.

• Jslat says:

As the Bern said himself, he doesn’t want to be a leader. (This was in an interview with The Young Turks about a month ago.). This can explain why Ted & Jeff are running the campaign their way. And why he doesn’t rein in surrogates and out of line supporters. I really think that the Bern only wants to preach & lecture. Also, who runs for President with no leadership skills or desires? Well, as Maya said, when someone shows you who they are believe them. BERN WE GET IT- YOU REALLY HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT LEADING THE FREE WORLD AND SOON YOU’LL NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT. RISE. HILLARY RISE LEAD US TO VICTORY!!

11. purplefinn says:

Happy happy day in PA! What a thrill to vote for Hill and her committed delegates!

12. janicen says:

I’m going to try to find it online and watch it today. Sorry I missed it. Thank you for the commentary.

13. vger says:

Weird. Voted this morning in the rain. It was raining 8 years ago when I last voted for Hill.

14. Fannie says:

I’ll be checking in with you all. My Murphy is not doing good, has a tumor near his brain, and might not be able to deal with things for a few days if he goes down. He’s have seizures, and it scares us.

15. Jslat says:

Talk about pandering to women voters and making a last ditch effort. The Bern plays with making Warren VP.

Like she would even consider that.

• ANonOMouse says:

After the way she was treated by the Berniebros when she didn’t endorse Sanders before the MA primary? I don’t think so!!! BUT, I think Warren needs to come out and clearly say, NO THANK YOU, so that Bernie can’t use her as leverage!!! And USING HER is what he’s doing!!!

• Ron4Hills says:

I have always thought that she has a secret understanding with Hills. If not for VP then for something. I have never thought that her failure to endorse the Curmudgeon was accidental. I think that once he is out she will come out strong for Hills and that she will have a role in the new Admin…