Wednesday Reads Open Thread: Chubby Rain

01a964afffdab7d96b8a76b4cd7ade8de3b7d8f20b

Bowfinger: And why is this going to work? Because Afrim here is a damn fine screenwriter, as well as accountant and part time receptionist. I said to Afrim “If you can write half as well as you can add-” Well I didn’t even have to finish my sentence. Twelve days later he hands me this, this masterpiece. Afrim, tell them what it’s called.

Afrim: Chubby Rain.

Bowfinger: Tell them why!

Afrim: Because when the aliens come down to earth, they come inside raindrops, making the rain chubby. Chubby rain!

It’s my birthday today….I’m 46 years old…ugh. And how does that song go?

It’s my party and I’ll post what I want to?

This is an open thread until I can get a proper post up later this afternoon….

Until then, don’t let the aliens weigh you down, stare at this beautiful hunk of a man. Hey, it connects with the theme of rain, Purple Rain:

Prince’s passport picture is so aggressively sexual it should be illegal

Damn, Prince. Which Walgreens did you take your passport picture in?

The singer — perhaps the first human in history to be proud of a government-regulated photograph — recently tweeted out his passport pic. And it slays. His gaze is so intense, so hauntingly beautiful, so cold and equally loving, that we actually envy the TSA agents who get to admire it IRL.

See y’all later…

81 Comments on “Wednesday Reads Open Thread: Chubby Rain”

Happy Birthday, JJ!! You are still very young, believe me.

Here’s a great piece from The NY Observer:

Hey, Bernie! Quit Your Tea-Partying and Get Serious in N.Y.

Mr. Sanders, unlike Ms. Clinton, has never been truly vetted. And the next week or so is going to amount to a seven-day New York Minute. See, New York has the toughest press corps in the country, if not in the world. They don’t take talking points, spin or narratives as fact, and they don’t, most of all, suffer fools gladly. They don’t write their stories off of a press release. New York separates the wheat from the chaff. Mr. Sanders will have to answer tough questions on guns, the economy, jobs, the campaign donations he’s accepted—and how he would turn his ideas into reality in Washington.

Because in New York, unlike in Sanders World, Wall Street is not simply the Tea Party caricature of Monty-Burns-like financial overlords. It’s our state’s tax base. It pays for us to be a progressive bastion and our city to be a deep-blue city—just ask progressive stalwarts like Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Mayor Bill de Blasio and Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito—and it ensures that we are a liberal beacon. Also? This is New York. We were attacked not just on 9/11 but by Hurricane Sandy and—let’s go back in history—by AIDS, crack, and persistent education and housing crises. You have a plan to help us, Mr. Sanders? If not? Better bone up fast. You’d better have answers on security, resilience, fixing our broken school system and how every American can find a place to live and thrive. And a simple stump speech won’t cut it here, as your mortifying interview with the Daily News editorial board proved. You’ll need to be thoughtful, substantive, and go deep. Tell us how you’ll get it done. We know you were born and raised in Brooklyn, but remember: Ms. Clinton has already passed muster here years ago, because she showed she could deliver. She’s passed our rigorous, unsparing test.

You ready, big guy? It’s go-time. To quote President Andrew Shepard: “We’ve got serious problems, and we need serious people.” It can’t be just a protest anymore. You can’t succeed or deliver on anger alone. We don’t celebrate your Tea Party here.

• Jslat says:

Cue music! “I LOVE NEW YORK!”

• As you recall Rosario Dawson was wooing Trump supporters, and now Trump is saying ‘He and Bernie’ are being attacked by the establishment whilst attacking Hillary. I predict Trump and Sanders will join forces if they haven’t already. The first clue we missed was Jane visiting Joe Arpaio, but now it is clear as day.

So, Susan Sarandon saying she would vote Trump is all in the plan.

Sanders supporters attacking Julian Castro, saying he’s not progressive enough to be Hillary’s VP.

They get to pick her VP now? The entitled attitude of these people is incredible.

• Ron4Hills says:

Is Bill Richardson out of the running forever? I was mad at him for his disloyalty in ’08 but does he have the chops to be an asset in ’16?

• That would be the safer choice considering tensions with North Korea and hot spots. Or a WOMAN WOMAN ticket with Elizabeth Warren! WOW!

• ANonOMouse says:

As much as I’d love a woman-woman ticket, I think that would be a huge tactical mistake. Hillary is already having trouble with “white men”. As bad as it sounds the FIRST thing Hillary will have to demonstrate is that a Woman can lead the most powerful nation on earth. When that glass ceiling is finally broken, “white men” will be less likely to choose an unqualified white man over a qualified woman. And I think it’s past time for a Latino in the executive branch. I don’t really care who that is, although I think Richardson is too old to carry the VP banner. The Democratic Party needs some young blood moving up the ladder of succession and Castro would accomplish that. Hillary will be 69 soon, while that’s not ancient, it is old enough to make a young running mate much more attractive. After the primary season is over Hillary needs to be able to dispatch youth to the campaign trail and Julian Castro can do that.

• OK, Julian Castro or Booker or Elizabeth Warren 😉

• Ron4Hills says:

Male Veep, all female cabinet and SCOTUS picks!

• ANonOMouse says:

I agree……She must pick a Male VP, anybody but Bernie, although I support Castro. Then she can put as many women as she likes in her cabinet. I hope the first SCOTUS appointment she makes is an AA woman. I, personally, wouldn’t be happy about any other choice for SCOTUS. We must have an AA woman on the highest court in the land.

• janicen says:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Not Judas. I can’t imagine Clinton picking him but if she did, I would be very, very disappointed.

• Ron4Hills says:

Castro is a little green.

• North Korea worries me, as he has been working on missiles with the objective of reaching my area. Yikes!

• janicen says:

I agree. He doesn’t have the chops to be Pres so Veep is out. And I personally think it would look like blatant pandering to Latinos.

• William says:

Yes on both points. I think that Castro is an unnecessary risk. I really would want Hillary to pick someone of whom it can be said that he was clearly of presidential caliber, as when Bill picked Gore. The only one I see out there is Sherrod Brown. Maybe one could stretch to Tim Kaine. I just have not been impressed with Castro, certainly not enough to think he would help the ticket in any way.

• ANonOMouse says:

I don’t think Castro is as green as Obama was. Julian was a City Councilman, a Mayor of a very large city and now Secretary of HUD. He’s 41 years old (YOUNGER THAN JJ….just kidding girl) and he’s ready to do the job. Some of the far left liberal groups are giving him grief about not selling enough loans on the verge of bankruptcy to NFP’s, but I think he can weather that storm and be ready to be Hillary’s choice.

• Enheduanna says:

No kidding – could Bernie’s supporters do a better job annoying Dem insiders? Bernie’s not terribly popular with colleagues as it is. His supporters are just harassing anyone who dares to question his sainthood. Superdelegates seem to be unimpressed – just look at what they did in Wyoming.

Has there been any other speculation on Clinton’s VP choices? Might she not want to go with a more mainstream choice to lure white men away from Trump?

They keep getting more and more obnoxious!

4. Ron4Hills says:

All I can say is, “KEEP IT TOGETHER, KEEP IT TOGETHER, KEEP IT TOGETHER!” 🙂

5. purplefinn says:

Happy Birthday, JJ. ! There’s lots of life after 45 : )

6. Enheduanna says:

Hi JJ! Hope you have a nice birthday today! It’s a pretty spring day down here in ATL. Hope it’s nice up in the hills!

I just added Bowfinger to my Netflix queue!!!! Thank you – I’ve never seen it.

P.S. Thank you also for your posts about TCM movies. TCM is one of only a handful of cable channels I watch anymore.

Bowfinger is hilarious!

• Oh wow, thank you so much for the comments and the birthday wishes Enhuduanna. You will love Bowfinger. 😉 And yes, it was a lovely day in Banjoville, my daughter took me driving around in her Suzuki and I got to listen to some old school U2 and Pet Shop Boys. Good times.

7. Sweet Sue says:

Happy Birthday, JJ.
    Oh, to be forty six again!
    Also, we could describe Prince in all kinds of flattering ways, but “hunk of a man?”
    I laugh every time I see “Little Sweet” on those Dr. Pepper ads because I’m sure they’re ribbing Prince.

Prince is … well, let’s just say he is the opposite of soulful and attractive to me. He looks superficial, charmless, and bratty, quite in keeping with his music. I find brats tiresome. Whatever he’s got, I am immune to, thank the deities.

• Enheduanna says:

I’ve never heard anything to make me dislike Prince. He seems to be very highly regarded amongst peers and I can’t recall any controversies. I am quite biased as an ardent fan – he’s one of my favorite musician/songwriters. He is one of the best selling musicians of all time (100 million + records).I promise you he is not superficial.

I just looked at Wiki – he’s apparently vegan out of love of animals and a Jehovah’s Witness? LOL I’m sure he’s a trippy guy, but again I think there’s more there than you may realize.

I rarely like popular music, says the curmudgeon. I rarely like popular anything! OK, he looks too fond of himself — to me. Jehovah’s Witness? Maybe it’s the patriarchalism that I pick up on and don’t care for. I was venting on my dislike of certain fashion trends in appearances and pop music, and sounds like I carried it too far.

We all like different things for entertainment, and that’s just fine.

• Enheduanna says:

Haha! Little Sweet makes me think of Johnny Depp’s Jack Swallow (?) character in Pirates of the Caribbean.

• Sweet sue, hunk of man yes…if the songs he writes are true… Daddy Pop. (Song about a man with a big dick. ) lol

Thank you for the birthday wishes. Love you!

Happy Birthday JJ!

9. RalphB says:

Happy Birthday JJ!!! Young whippersnapper 🙂

10. RalphB says:

The New York Daily News has given a vivid demonstration of just what a terrible job the political press corps has done covering this presidential campaign. Bravo!

Happy Birthday, JJ! A fabulous time of life to finally see our Madame President-elect win in November!

12. ANonOMouse says:

Happy Birthday to you……Happy Birthday to you…..Happy Birthday Dear JJ…..Happy Birthday to you. 🙂

13. janicen says:

Happy Birthday, JJ. Oh to be 46 again. Revel in it. I often wonder if I would have appreciated my 40’s more if someone had warned me of the onslaught about to happen to my body once I hit my 50’s, but probably not.

Enjoy your day. I hope it is filled with peace, joy, and love.

14. jackyt says:

Happy BDJJ! It would be wrong, obviously, to extrapolate from any one person’s experience what the future bodes. All I can say is, in my experience, it just keeps getting better. When you’re 46, you are still, very much, the meat in the sandwich, getting chomped on from above and below. Add a couple of decades and you may well find there are many more choices available to you for who and what captures your attention. Plus! (in my experience, anyway) menopause is like being a perpetual 11 year old…. I love it!

15. William says:

Happy birthday, J.J.!

16. Somewhere Donald Trump is creaming…Twitter is broken.

17. Fannie says:

Well, here we are once again with Bernie’s camp calling Hillary, congress, whores. That also mean us voting for Hillary, we be whores too.

The future ahead with Bernie is all about sexism and racism thriving in his so called corrupted socialist society. He’s nothing more than a blank wall.

Hillary is about knocking down barriers, and building relationship and bridges for equable justice for all. She is about opening some windows and letting some fresh air in. Not slanting women or people of color.

Bernie is one miserable man, and his wife proved in on CNN and Snot in Morning.

• I don’t buy the Sanders apology a day latter after it is pointed out that it is WRONG! Bad judgement and he isn’t sorry as he took the stage and said NOTHING and THANKED Dr. Paul Song (Yup, his sister in-law was released due to Bill Clinton’s trip to North Korea).

Bernie Sanders is sorry when media points it out, but adored the claps the misogynistic comment brought from the crowd. Sanders did the same when he dismissed his OWN remarks on getting to the important issues when asked about Trump’s comment on ‘Punishing Women’ for abortions.

18. Thank you for the birthday wishes. Sorry it took so long to respond, things have been very busy. Bebe had her doctor follow up yesterday and everything is ok….it is such a relief. I can’t wait until this senior year is over for Jake, then one more crazy year and some quite…right? 😉