Sunday Reads: Political Avoidance Coping disorder … aka PAC’d

Close up of The Allegory of Good and Bad Government. A series of three fresco panels painted by Ambrogio Lorenzetti. Salla Dei Nove 1338 - 1339.

Close up of The Allegory of Good and Bad Government. A series of three fresco panels painted by Ambrogio Lorenzetti. Salla Dei Nove 1338 – 1339.

Political Avoidance Coping disorder

aka PAC’d

(Yes, a little “d” on the disorder.)

For surely the use of Avoidance Coping as an act of desperation in this Political/Presidential/Campaign Season could not be seen as a “disorder.”

Right?

This is not to confuse you with the term PAD (Political Affected Disorder)…that Mona came up with last presidential election season.

Or with the term PLUB (Pro-Life-Until-Birth) which I often use for the freakish fetus fetish GOP fuckers who are determined and….getting away with, closing down the houses of safe/legal abortion and women’s reproductive health.69bf5e42554d8eec580ff544b078efed

But if I travel down that road I will go off on a different angle than I had planned….so I need to stay focused and stick with the Political Avoidance Coping disorder as a defense mechanism in these truly fucked up times because…if you are like me, you have spent the last year looking to get PAC’d.

So, now that Hillary has won South Carolina, do you think my PAC’d defenses will weaken a bit?

Not likely.

I am still worried as fuck.

When this is the opposite side, and the possible choice of two for the presidency:

IMG_3434

Ya know, I won’t be able to cope with this election until the election is over.

the_effects_of_bad_government-14A16256C06483ECC37

There is just too much at stake, just look at a few headlines:

Chris Wallace: This Week’s Debate Was ‘Embarrassment for the Republican Party’ | Mediaite

One bully endorses another bigger bully: Why Chris Christie hitched his wagon to Donald Trump – Salon.com

Ex-Mexican President Fox: Trump reminds me of Hitler – CNNPolitics.com

Trump Dismisses His Retweet of a Mussolini Quote: ‘What Difference Does It Make?’ | Mediaite

Ambrogio_Lorenzetti_-_Effects_of_Good_Government_in_the_city_-_Google_Art_Project

The Latest: Cruz needles Trump over tax information – The Washington Post

Ted Cruz Speculates Donald Trump’s Taxes Could Show Mafia Ties – ABC News

Oh that is nothing…hey, Mafia Ties? I’ll take some Wiseguys over cross-burning racist any day. (Cough, cough)

David Duke Urges His Supporters To Volunteer And Vote For Trump – BuzzFeed News

Trump on white supremacist support: – CNNPolitics.com

The actual headline is, “Trump won’t disavow support from KKK, David Duke,” but you can take it from there.

Lorenzetti_ambrogio_bad_govern._det

And a sideline on the KKK: Ku Klux Klan rally in Anaheim erupts in violence; 3 are stabbed and 13 arrested – LA Times

A small group of people representing the Klan had announced that it would hold a rally at Pearson Park at 1:30 p.m., police said. By 11 a.m., several dozen protesters had shown up to confront the Klan.

About an hour later, several men in black garb with Confederate flag patches arrived in an SUV near the edge of the park.

Fighting broke out moments after Klan members exited the vehicle. Some of the protesters could be seen kicking a man whose shirt read “Grand Dragon.” At some point, a protester collapsed on the ground bleeding, crying that he had been stabbed.

A Klansman in handcuffs could be heard telling a police officer that he “stabbed him in self-defense.” Several other people were also handcuffed.

Witnesses said the Klansmen used the point of a flagpole as a weapon while fighting with protesters.

Two other protesters were stabbed during the melee — one with a knife and the other with an unidentified weapon, said Sgt. Daron Wyatt of the Anaheim Police Department.

Brian Levin, director of Cal State San Bernardino’s Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism, said he was standing near the KKK members when several protesters attacked them with two-by-fours and other weapons.

Several of the Klan members jumped in the SUV and sped off, leaving three others to “fend for themselves,” Levin said.

You can read the rest of the article at the link, but this is the key phrase I wanted to get in:

Levin had been trying to interview the KKK ringleader, whom he identified as William Quigg, an Anaheim resident.

Quigg is the leader of the Loyal White Knights in California and other Western states, a sect of the hate group that aims to raise awareness about illegal immigration, terrorism and street crime, Levin said. They see themselves as a “Klan without robes” and model themselves after David Duke, the Louisiana-based former grand wizard of the Klan, Levin said.

Notice I have focused on The Donald…for it is becoming clear that he is more than likely to be the GOP’s candidate this year. Ooof!

8331367574_274934bc84_b

Now for a few other links à la Dump Flambé:

142a36430782585a0e6b0ab620e33671

A Georgia Bill Shields Discrimination Against Gays – The New York Times

Lands’ End promotes Gloria Steinem in catalog, provokes anti-abortion freakout and bails – LA Times

How Lands’ End ended up in America’s vicious abortion fight – The Washington Post

Showdown on Abortion at the Supreme Court – The New York Times

The First Successful Uterus Implant in the U.S. Just Happened in Cleveland

The War on Women Is About to Get a Whole Lot Worse | Mother Jones

Abortion Rights In Louisiana Are Under Attack, And Only The Supreme Court Can Stop It | Bustle

Alabama GOP Makes Another Push to Regulate Abortion Clinics Like Sex Offenders

Florida’s 24-Hour Abortion Waiting Period to Take Effect – ABC NewsAmbrogio_Lorenzetti_-_Effects_of_Good_Government_in_the_countryside_-_Google_Art_Project

Planned Parenthood closes Augusta clinic | The Augusta Chronicle

Alaska Senate OKs bill to bar Planned Parenthood in schools | The Charlotte Observer

Utah abortion bill would mandate anesthesia for fetus after 20 weeks | The Salt Lake Tribune

Images are from The Allegory of Good and Bad Government .

This is an open thread…

Advertisements

38 Comments on “Sunday Reads: Political Avoidance Coping disorder … aka PAC’d”

1. Afternoon all, it’s an open thread. But to give you all a taste of what the fuck is going on in Banjoville? Look at what happened at the town next door to us..Men charged after barricading Towns County subdivision | AccessWDUN.com

Sounds to me like a little threatening behavior from some Trump supporters…of the David Duke variety….looking to make someone unwelcome in the subdivision.

But what do I know. I’m no local myself.

I’m in shock and speechless this morning. First Trump claiming he never heard of the KKK and doesn’t know who David Duke is. Then endless tweets about Bernie fans unbelievable behavior toward black voters.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

• janicen says:

The last time I was phone banking for Hillary I got a Bernie supporter on the phone, I said, “Well, I’m sorry about that but I’m glad that you will be voting, it’s very important that Democrats get out and vote in this primary and the upcoming election.” He said “I know and thank you for doing what you’re doing…” and that was it. No ugliness, no cajoling, just everybody happy to be part of the process. I think Bernie’s problem is he’s got high school and college kids making his calls and they don’t know what to say outside of their script. I’m glad the person on the phone set the caller straight. He won’t make that mistake again.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

• Wait what happened? I’m confused, and part of my PAC’d objective causes me to fully submerse myself from the political world…so I have a hard time adjusting to real time.

Bernie bros are angry with Elizabeth Warren now because she didn’t endorse Bernie before NC–not that it would have made any difference.

But as I posted yesterday, I have a very good source who says she is disgusted with Bernie’s campaign tactics. She may or may not endorse Hillary, but she will not endorse Bernie.

Of course they think it’s all her fault that she hasn’t endorsed Sanders. Talk about entitlement!

And that “Sen Sanders is for welfare” line is appalling. But that’s what happens when you have sheltered rich white kids phone-banking for you.

• Fannie says:

When you look at Bernie’s endorsements, he has a total of 5 points (reps)……no governor’s, no senators.

Hillary Clinton has 475 endorsement points, 40 senators, 12 governor’s and over 130 Rep’s.

Donald Trump, has 4 Rep’s, 1 senator (Jeff Sessions), 2 Governor’s Christie, and LePage for a total of 29 endorsement points.

Rubio on the other hand has 157 endorsement points: 14 senators, and 4 governors, and he’s not winning.

4. redwoodk8 says:

Honestly, I felt like I needed a shower after reading some of the tweets from the Berners last night. I’ve been trying hard not to slam him on my personal page, but had to post a great Angry Black Woman piece this morning. It really scares me that people can’t see their own words as they type. 😦

5. janicen says:

There is a hit piece about Hillary on the front page of the NYT today. I won’t link to it but I wouldn’t be surprised to find out it was ghost written by Karl Rove.

6. Riverbird says:

The Montpelier, Vermont, newspaper has endorsed Hillary. They say about Sanders:

“As the leader of a movement he has been a great success. As president of all the people, he is not the best choice. It is argued by frustrated progressives that President Barack Obama was too willing to compromise and so he didn’t achieve all he could have done. But Obama has been president not just of Vermont and Cambridge and Berkeley. He has been president of South Carolina and Kentucky and Alabama. It was never going to be easy, and it is unclear whether a more ideologically extreme approach on his part would have achieved more. As it is, his methods have made him, perhaps, the most effective president since Franklin Roosevelt. ”

Heh. Another Republican presidential candidate lying about their history.

• William says:

I really hope that this story gets a lot of coverage. I thoroughly dislike Rubio. “The children of the Reagan Revolution have grown up!”

As of yesterday, I had thought that Rubiio would be getting the nomination, that the Republican powers would fix it in some way, get all the other candidates besides Trump out, and then make sure that they all gave their delegates garnered in the proportional state primaries to Rubio. Maybe this story will change that, but the Republicans and their voters are remarkably impervious to their own scandals, misrepresentations and lies.

7. ANonOMouse says:

JJ, don’t worry about the PAC’d, we’ll keep you up to date on all the latest, relevant political news.

8. William says:

I hope that the Rubio story gets a lot of coverage. I thoroughly do not like Rubio.

>Donald Trump connects at a new level — a fourth-grade level

Watching the last Republican presidential debate, I heard Donald Trump make just a howler of a statement. Everyone on the stage, the moderators especially, must have known it to be false. But nobody seemed to notice.

Here’s what he said: “If you look at what’s going on, we have the highest taxes anywhere in the world. We pay more business tax, we pay more personal tax. We have the highest taxes in the world. It’s shutting off our economy. It’s shutting off our country … Yes, we will do my tax plan, and it will be great.”

Now anyone who has ever heard of Europe knows this to be ludicrous. It’s Republicans who are always warning what a catastrophe it would be for capitalism if we raised taxes to the level of, say, Sweden or Denmark. So everyone at the debate knew this was false. But it sailed on past. ….

A few years ago a political science researcher examined the linguistic complexity of nearly 20 years of political speech in the U.S. Congress. He ran every speech given at the U.S. Capitol since 1996 through reading comprehension software and found that as a group, Congress speaks at roughly a 10th-grade language level (enter “sophomoric” jokes here).

This was a full grade level lower than in the mid-2000s, and entire university degrees less than the language the founding fathers used back in the day. (The U.S. Constitution is written at a 17.8-grade level, which is postgraduate complexity.) ….

I ran Donald Trump’s debate answers through the same program, called the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level. It turns out the front-runner for the Republican nomination for president of the United States is speaking to us as a fourth-grader.

• William says:

I am watching Trump’s rally. It is really unnerving. Except for accents, this speech is literally not too far off that of the European fascists in the 1920’s and 1930’s.

• janicen says:

Rubio was just here speaking at a high school very close to where I live. I watched the live stream. This will surprise you, it was a totally white audience. 😀 They did not fill up the seats in the football stadium which is not all that big, this isn’t Texas after all, but they filled up the better part of the field. At least that’s what it looked like from the camera angles I saw. The weather was nice today so I’d say he got several hundred people if not more.

• roofingbird says:

Yeah, I had guessed 6th grade and later got to thinking that was too high. Newspapers used to be around 6th grade.

10. Ron4Hills says:

I thought Trumps father Fred was connectedon to Klansters.

I know i saw that somewhere.

11. janicen says:

After the Roger Stone mention in one of the previous posts, I started peeking (I refuse to follow him) at him on twitter. First of all he’s nuts, but apparently he’s been banned from CNN as a pundit because of tweets he made about a couple of their other pundits. He called Ana Navarro an “entitled diva bitch” and that she and Roland Martin were “quota hires”. He also called Roland Martin a “stupid negro”.

Just think, if Trump gets elected, Stone will be an advisor to the President.

• ANonOMouse says:

That high profile white business men still think like that in 2016 proves that racism is alive and well everywhere. And the fact that Donald Trump can make racist, sexist, homophobic comments daily with absolute impunity in Republican circles, demonstrates how dangerous the GOP is. I can’t wait for Hillary to dismantle him in the debates.

12. janicen says:

I only watched about half of the Oscars last night but I did stay up long enough to watch this woman win for best costume design. Check out the faces of the dudes not clapping for her. Could it be her non-patriarchy compliant look?

Whoa! Quite the reaction — incredulous and petulant. Did one of them actually do an eyeroll?

janicen, love the “non-patriarchy compliant” phrase! I’m definitely using that!